The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

ASA fitted caps

I need a fitted cap from ASA. So my daughter ordered one for me for father's day. I have a couple that I recently purchased and they are size 7 1/8.

So I told her the size.

It came in last week (slight backorder). I tried it on and it's not even close to fitting. I checked the size label on the inside. 7 1/8 Can barely get it to sit on the top of my head.

I've heard about the problems w/ sizing, particularly on the caps. At this point I'm not sure if I should order 1 or 2 sizes up. Or, maybe the next batch of 7 1/8s will be a more accurate fit.

I called Official Gear and complained. They're willing to exchange the hat. But I have to pay return shipping. They think that equitable. I do not.

If I ordered something by mistake or a wrong color, I can see being responsible for return shipping.

The woman on the phone said I could order by phone or internet. I told her that has nothing to do with the quality of the item I've purchased.

GRRRRR!!
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 12:48pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Interesting. One of my partners this weekend had just received his order of caps with the new ASA logo in what he thought was his size. It was too loose! He also used his new-logoed gray ball bags for the first time, and after his game, the stitching on one of the belt loops came halfway undone.

I've had problems with the shirts I've ordered from Official Gear. I've always worn a Large shirt with the old logo to do the plate. So I ordered two of each (navy and light blue) with the new logo. The Large navy fits me just fine with my protector, but I can barely get the Large light blue one over my gear. I had to order a couple of Extra Large light blues to work the plate. How do they screw up the shirt sizes of different colors?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Interesting. One of my partners this weekend had just received his order of caps with the new ASA logo in what he thought was his size. It was too loose! He also used his new-logoed gray ball bags for the first time, and after his game, the stitching on one of the belt loops came halfway undone.

I've had problems with the shirts I've ordered from Official Gear. I've always worn a Large shirt with the old logo to do the plate. So I ordered two of each (navy and light blue) with the new logo. The Large navy fits me just fine with my protector, but I can barely get the Large light blue one over my gear. I had to order a couple of Extra Large light blues to work the plate. How do they screw up the shirt sizes of different colors?
It's not color, unless they are getting them from different sweatshops.
if you keep ordering, the next large will be a different large.

Is this why ASA requires these, to stay in business?
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Hat sizing is notoriously inconsistent.

Chances are if you return your 7 1/8 and exchange it for a 7 1/4, the replacement hat will be too large. The whole industry seems to treat hat sizing as some kind of random lottery.

This is why I will not order plate hats on-line unless I have absolutely no other option.

Base hats, where the sizing is not so critical, I will order on-line, especially if they have the flex-size construction.

This issue is not new for ASA Official Gear, I guarantee you. In fact, my guess would be it is so common that they can't afford to pay for return shipping!
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I ordered the new hats last year as I was preparing to do a state tourney. They were way too big. (Two sizes, even though they were the same size I had been ordering from Official Gear for 20 years.) So, I ordered four more, two in the next smaller two sizes each, then waited to return the non fitting hats after I got back from the tourney.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Hat sizing is notoriously inconsistent.

Chances are if you return your 7 1/8 and exchange it for a 7 1/4, the replacement hat will be too large. The whole industry seems to treat hat sizing as some kind of random lottery.

This is why I will not order plate hats on-line unless I have absolutely no other option.
Same here. My old plate hat was 7 5/8, and that fits me so tight that it leaves red lines on my head and I get headaches if it's been longer than 3 days since my last haircut. Imagine my surprise when the size 7 1/2 fit me perfectly this time around.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 01:22pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Base hats, where the sizing is not so critical, I will order on-line, especially if they have the flex-size construction.
You would think that Official Gear would get with the program and make Flex-Fit hats, if they really have that many problems.

But even those can be a little dicey. One place I've ordered plain Flex-Fit hats carry either S/M or L/XL. I wear a 7-3/8" fitted, and on their website, they list S/M as 7" to 7-3/8", and their L/XL as 7-3/8" to 8". I figured the L/XL would be too large, so I went with the S/M. And the damn thing feels like a vice around my head.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
!
What is your alternative for ASA logos? Do you have vendors at clinics?

Do you buy caps seven other people have tried on?
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
What is your alternative for ASA logos? Do you have vendors at clinics?
Sometimes the state UIC comes prepared, sometimes not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Do you buy caps seven other people have tried on?
Probably, but there is no guarantee against that with the on-line vendors, either. No head lice yet!

In our former ASA regime here, the state ASA commissioner's office maintained an umpire gear store. That's where I bought my ASA-logo-ed hats, with an in-store visit. And, my plate hats sport a variety of marked sizes!

These days, we have little or no need for any ASA-logo-ed gear for any games in the state, so I haven't needed to buy any ASA-logo-ed hats for several years. I still have one set that is practically brand new (but the old logo... sigh).

Which leads me to this: QUIT CHANGING LOGOS FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN USING UMPIRES AS A CASH COW FOR YOUR BUSINESS!!! (This applies to all of them, not just ASA!)
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota View Post
which leads me to this: Quit changing logos for no reason other than using umpires as a cash cow for your business!!! (this applies to all of them, not just asa!)
ditto !
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Which leads me to this: QUIT CHANGING LOGOS FOR NO REASON OTHER THAN USING UMPIRES AS A CASH COW FOR YOUR BUSINESS!!! (This applies to all of them, not just ASA!)
USSSA is the absolute worst to this end.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2014, 06:17pm
Administrator

Quote:
Sometimes the state UIC comes prepared, sometimes not.

Probably, but there is no guarantee against that with the on-line vendors, either. No head lice yet!

In our former ASA regime here, the state ASA commissioner's office maintained an umpire gear store. That's where I bought my ASA-logo-ed hats, with an in-store visit. And, my plate hats sport a variety of marked sizes!

These days, we have little or no need for any ASA-logo-ed gear for any games in the state, so I haven't needed to buy any ASA-logo-ed hats for several years. I still have one set that is practically brand new (but the old logo... sigh).

Amen and praise the Lord brother! You are preaching to the choir.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio