The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 11, 2014, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
The problem is there is nothing that says it is a legal act either. Nowhere in the rules does it say running to 1st base on a dropped second strike is a legal act. You are correct it does not specify it is illegal, but at the same time it does not specify the act as an allowable action of the batter either. That is my point which some of you are to thick headed to understand.
I don't think it says taking practice swings, spitting or chewing gum is illegal either.

The point being that generally, if it doesn't say (or define) that it is illegal, it isn't and would then be legal.
right?
Old Sun May 11, 2014, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

As stated above, the rule book does not list every permissible act. But it does list illegal acts, and any act not listed as illegal would by omission not be illegal.

The ASA case play on D3K situations is pretty specific the defense is repsonbile for knowing the count and the situation.
Old Sun May 11, 2014, 01:36pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
The problem is there is nothing that says it is a legal act either. Nowhere in the rules does it say running to 1st base on a dropped second strike is a legal act. You are correct it does not specify it is illegal, but at the same time it does not specify the act as an allowable action of the batter either. That is my point which some of you are to thick headed to understand.
Whoa, what's with the insult?

Your problem is that you want everything to be black or white. The truth is, there's plenty of gray in the rules. And that's where umpires earn their stripes, dealing with that gray such that neither team is disadvantaged.

Just yesterday, I worked bases in a HS conference first-round playoff game. The weather was not favorable; we had a good drenching an hour before game time, and it rained off and on after we started. The home team pitcher had a pretty long towel hanging out of her back pocket to dry her hand between pitches.

When she came to bat, my partner directed her to remove the towel and put it in the dugout. Why? Probably because he didn't want a situation where a pitch hits the towel.

Was it illegal for her to have that towel in her pocket? Nope; there's no rule that says that. So does that make it legal? Not necessarily; if it was legal, then my partner couldn't make her take it out. He did something to nip a potential problem in the bud. Nobody complained.

The same is true here. There's no black and white rulings when a batter takes off for first when she doesn't become a batter-runner. You yourself said you would announce "That's Strike Two!" to try and nip that in the bud. That's what I would do. And if the catcher still makes a throw, then that's on her for not paying attention.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun May 11, 2014, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Insults are not necessary.

So, you assume that everything must be explicitly declared legal, else it is illegal?

Nonsense.

And, you would have this batter declared out? You DO need a rule for that! What is your rule?

Last edited by Dakota; Mon May 12, 2014 at 11:15am.
Old Sun May 11, 2014, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

I've had JV players twice this year run on an uncaught 2nd strike, and a varsity players who went to 1B on ball one.

In each case I called time once the ball was in circle and all action complete, turned to the batter standing on 1B and said "Miss? Would you like to finish your turn at bat?"
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
some of you are to thick headed to understand.
Totally unacceptable.
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is my point which some of you are to thick headed to understand.
Y'all are being way too sensitive. How can anyone possibly react to an incomplete comparison.

It should probably say "some of you are to thick headed" as "grilled ribs are to boiled ribs".

We just haven't figured out who "thick headed" is in the comparative equation.
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Y'all are being way too sensitive. How can anyone possibly react to an incomplete comparison.

It should probably say "some of you are to thick headed" as "grilled ribs are to boiled ribs".

We just haven't figured out who "thick headed" is in the comparative equation.
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can you imagine how enormous a list of every thing you can legally do would be? Just listing "allowable actions by the batter" would be 20 pages long. Expecting such a list is rather ridiculous.

The book tells you what you CAN'T do. Generally, if it's not illegal ... it's legal.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 12, 2014, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Had the coach last week upset because opposing F1 was taking a signal from the dugout prior to being on the plate.

Rule says F1 must take or simulate taking a signal while on the pitching plate. Does not say when and where else she may take a signal and more importantly does not say taking a signal elsewhere is illegal.