The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Dead ball appeal what if

I have not seen this play, and this is just something I thought of.

The situation is as follows:

Team H is the up 6-0 in the bottom of the 5th inning during a game using the 10 after 5 mercy rule. Bases loaded with 2 outs. The batter hits an over the fence home run and all runners come around to score. As soon as the batter-runner touches home plate the plate umpire is off the field and through the dug out (only way off the field). As the BU is leaving the field, but has not yet left the field, the right fielder (still on the field of play) yells to the base umpire, the batter missed first base. (This is something witnessed by the base umpire)

Is this appeal accepted, since the base umpire and at least one fielder are still in the field of play? Or is this denied because the plate umpire is already gone.

If you except the appeal, and rule the batter-runner out, thus negating all 4 runs, and thus the end of the game, how do you explain this to a partner that is already half way to his car.

I have never had this happen, but I did have a mercy not end because the runner that scored run to give the team a 10 run lead missed home plate, which was properly appealed. I was the BU and had come in towards the plate thinking the game was over when the coach appealed successfully the missed base.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I have not seen this play, and this is just something I thought of.

The situation is as follows:

Team H is the up 6-0 in the bottom of the 5th inning during a game using the 10 after 5 mercy rule. Bases loaded with 2 outs. The batter hits an over the fence home run and all runners come around to score. As soon as the batter-runner touches home plate the plate umpire is off the field and through the dug out (only way off the field). As the BU is leaving the field, but has not yet left the field, the right fielder (still on the field of play) yells to the base umpire, the batter missed first base. (This is something witnessed by the base umpire)

Is this appeal accepted, since the base umpire and at least one fielder are still in the field of play? Or is this denied because the plate umpire is already gone.

If you except the appeal, and rule the batter-runner out, thus negating all 4 runs, and thus the end of the game, how do you explain this to a partner that is already half way to his car.

I have never had this happen, but I did have a mercy not end because the runner that scored run to give the team a 10 run lead missed home plate, which was properly appealed. I was the BU and had come in towards the plate thinking the game was over when the coach appealed successfully the missed base.
The partner is an idiot and wouldn't be a partner again.

But please provide a citation allowing an OF to make an appeal.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 08:00am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

Unlike ASA, NFHS allows appeals by any defensive player.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
As soon as the batter-runner touches home plate the plate umpire is off the field and through the dug out (only way off the field).
I'm glad this is fiction. Or, a toilet was in that direction.

But, I agree with the above respondents.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

So many of your hypotheticals include umpires that would never work again in my area.... Umpires in Realworldia leave together. This possible appeal is only one of the many reasons for that.

To answer your question, the UMPIRES have not left the field. Appeal legal in NFHS, an appeal by someone else is still available in ASA.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

Idiot was not the first word that came to my mind....
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Feel free to improvise, edit, suggest alternative nouns or adjectives
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Sadly, there are a lot of umpires/officials in my area that should not be working any level, let alone high school softball.

The problem is Michigan's PATHETIC training of umpires.

Here are the requirements to become an official in Michigan:

1) Send in Registration form and money to the MHSAA.

2) The MHSAA will send you a test covering the MHSAA policies and procedures, which is open book and must be passed at 80%.

3) If you do football or basketball you will also be sent a sport specific test for those sports which is also open book and must be passed at 80%.

If you are not registered for football or basketball, you are never tested on rules knowledge by the MHSAA for a particular sport.

4) You are sent your officials ID numbers, rulebooks and patches.

You are now an official.

The MHSAA does encourage officials to join an approved association, and some assignors will not assign umpires that are not members of an approved organization. With that said, even Member In Good Standing (MIGS) is a bit of a joke in some associations. The association I am in has had 3 meetings so far. We have 4 total for the season. We are required to attend half of them to be considered for MIGS. The softball association meetings have had 6, 5, and people in attendance so far this year. There are a lot of umpires who will sit at these meetings (other associations have more membership), and not even pay attention, but they meet the criteria to be assigned by the assignors.

We do have some umpires that are very good, but we also have some that make me look like I should be working the state finals, and I know I am far from that.

Basically, officials training in Michigan is left up to the umpire/official and only them, with little help from the MHSAA.