The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 17, 2014, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Praying for close games

What is the most lopsided pair of games you have ever umpired in a DH.

My two JV DH's this week were a combined 36-6 and 43-0. That's 79-6 total for two games. It was so bad, the 43-0 DH had the winning team intentionally leaving base early to get called out. They were drawing base on balls and the coaches told them to keep running until they were tagged out (Sadly, on one such play the batter-runner actually came all the way around to score).

At least in the 36-6 DH, the team scored a few runs during the game and actually got a chance to score. The pitcher for the team that won 43-0 threw a perfect game in game 2, and allowed 1 base hit in game 1).

In 6 games this season, only 1 of them was not a mercy, and that was a 9 run win. The other 5 games so far have been mercy rule games, with 4 being 15 after 3 innings.
Old Fri Apr 18, 2014, 10:07am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
The pitcher for the team that won 43-0 threw a perfect game in game 2, and allowed 1 base hit in game 1).
Shame on that pitcher's coach.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Apr 18, 2014, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Shame on that pitcher's coach.
I somewhat agree, but at the same time, the argument can be made that it is the hitting teams responsibility to hit the ball, something they struggled with because of her velocity.

The other argument that can be made is that team was playing only their second DH of the season due to weather conditions this year and the pitcher needs some game experience as well.

I can say this coach was not trying to run up the score and was actually disappointed when an opposing player dropped what would have been a very nice inning ending catch during the second game. We thought she had the catch and at the last second it bounced out of the glove (she was the injured pitcher from game one, which was referenced elsewhere).
Old Sat Apr 19, 2014, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I somewhat agree, but at the same time, the argument can be made that it is the hitting teams responsibility to hit the ball, something they struggled with because of her velocity.

The other argument that can be made is that team was playing only their second DH of the season due to weather conditions this year and the pitcher needs some game experience as well.

I can say this coach was not trying to run up the score and was actually disappointed when an opposing player dropped what would have been a very nice inning ending catch during the second game. We thought she had the catch and at the last second it bounced out of the glove (she was the injured pitcher from game one, which was referenced elsewhere).
Hogwash. Why would he toss a good pitcher against this team? Why would he not have his girls leaving early on EVERY first pitch they could once they reached base? Why would he not play "station to station"? Why would he not have his girls bunt or swing at whatever they could?

There are plenty of ways to not have a 43-0 score. That's disgusting. And he should be ashamed.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2014, 06:48am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
Hogwash. Why would he toss a good pitcher against this team? Why would he not have his girls leaving early on EVERY first pitch they could once they reached base? Why would he not play "station to station"? Why would he not have his girls bunt or swing at whatever they could?

There are plenty of ways to not have a 43-0 score. That's disgusting. And he should be ashamed.
I agree. Pitching that same pitcher, and telling girls to keep running until they get tagged out when it's pretty obvious the defense is so bad a tag won't be forthcoming are not tactics to keep things from blowing out of proportion.

There have been plenty of games that I've umpired where the score could easily have been 43-0. But they ended up with less than half that many runs when the winning coach took every possible step to keep from running things up. The starters only play at most two innings. Pitchers that would never see the circle in a competitive game get their reps. Balls hit in the gap are singles. No base advances happen on wild pitches and passed balls.

Yeah, a counter argument could be made that that kind of play is negative training for the winning team's players. But scoring 43 runs and keeping the stud pitcher in the game for the duration provides no valuable training either. It also provides bad training for the umpire, who quickly loses focus and starts looking for anything to call to get out of there, especially against the coach who is letting this happen.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sat Apr 19, 2014, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Situation here is similar. With school choice, the area tends to have talent concentrated in a handful of schools. The rest are lucky to fill out a roster, and in some cases do not field a JV team. Thank goodness for 15 run after 3/10 run after 5 mercy rules. Also when JV's play before Varsity, we have a time limit. I do not mind doing those games as I know no matter what goes on, I'm out of there in a buck 30. Sadly all too many are not much of a game at all, with say +75% of pitches being balls and half of the pitches are passed balls. You get the picture.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Finally got a couple of varsity games in last week. Nothing like the 43-0 game, but neither of my games was competitive.

First was a 14-2 mercy in the bottom of the 6th. About 42 degrees and windy. At least the sun was shining.

Second was a game for 4 innings @ 0-0. Visitors ended up winning 9-0.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post

On the other hand.....I have seen the coach on the wrong end of the lopsided score get upset at the winning team for leaving bases early and going station to station, etc.

His gripe was that he didn't want "charity" and his players needed to learn how to compete and overcome adversity. He also felt that the winning team was "showing them up" and sending the message that "you can't compete with us unless we help you."

I have also seen the winning coach in the lopsided game approach the losing coach once it is obvious that the game is one-sided and make sure that the tactics to end the game will be acceptable.

So it's not always the blanket poor sportsmanship that you seem to think...