The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Praying for close games (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/97768-praying-close-games.html)

chapmaja Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:58pm

Praying for close games

What is the most lopsided pair of games you have ever umpired in a DH.

My two JV DH's this week were a combined 36-6 and 43-0. That's 79-6 total for two games. It was so bad, the 43-0 DH had the winning team intentionally leaving base early to get called out. They were drawing base on balls and the coaches told them to keep running until they were tagged out (Sadly, on one such play the batter-runner actually came all the way around to score).

At least in the 36-6 DH, the team scored a few runs during the game and actually got a chance to score. The pitcher for the team that won 43-0 threw a perfect game in game 2, and allowed 1 base hit in game 1).

In 6 games this season, only 1 of them was not a mercy, and that was a 9 run win. The other 5 games so far have been mercy rule games, with 4 being 15 after 3 innings.

Manny A Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 932133)
The pitcher for the team that won 43-0 threw a perfect game in game 2, and allowed 1 base hit in game 1).

Shame on that pitcher's coach. :mad:

chapmaja Fri Apr 18, 2014 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 932154)
Shame on that pitcher's coach. :mad:

I somewhat agree, but at the same time, the argument can be made that it is the hitting teams responsibility to hit the ball, something they struggled with because of her velocity.

The other argument that can be made is that team was playing only their second DH of the season due to weather conditions this year and the pitcher needs some game experience as well.

I can say this coach was not trying to run up the score and was actually disappointed when an opposing player dropped what would have been a very nice inning ending catch during the second game. We thought she had the catch and at the last second it bounced out of the glove (she was the injured pitcher from game one, which was referenced elsewhere).

LIUmp Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 932192)
I somewhat agree, but at the same time, the argument can be made that it is the hitting teams responsibility to hit the ball, something they struggled with because of her velocity.

The other argument that can be made is that team was playing only their second DH of the season due to weather conditions this year and the pitcher needs some game experience as well.

I can say this coach was not trying to run up the score and was actually disappointed when an opposing player dropped what would have been a very nice inning ending catch during the second game. We thought she had the catch and at the last second it bounced out of the glove (she was the injured pitcher from game one, which was referenced elsewhere).

Hogwash. Why would he toss a good pitcher against this team? Why would he not have his girls leaving early on EVERY first pitch they could once they reached base? Why would he not play "station to station"? Why would he not have his girls bunt or swing at whatever they could?

There are plenty of ways to not have a 43-0 score. That's disgusting. And he should be ashamed.

Manny A Sat Apr 19, 2014 06:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIUmp (Post 932212)
Hogwash. Why would he toss a good pitcher against this team? Why would he not have his girls leaving early on EVERY first pitch they could once they reached base? Why would he not play "station to station"? Why would he not have his girls bunt or swing at whatever they could?

There are plenty of ways to not have a 43-0 score. That's disgusting. And he should be ashamed.

I agree. Pitching that same pitcher, and telling girls to keep running until they get tagged out when it's pretty obvious the defense is so bad a tag won't be forthcoming are not tactics to keep things from blowing out of proportion.

There have been plenty of games that I've umpired where the score could easily have been 43-0. But they ended up with less than half that many runs when the winning coach took every possible step to keep from running things up. The starters only play at most two innings. Pitchers that would never see the circle in a competitive game get their reps. Balls hit in the gap are singles. No base advances happen on wild pitches and passed balls.

Yeah, a counter argument could be made that that kind of play is negative training for the winning team's players. But scoring 43 runs and keeping the stud pitcher in the game for the duration provides no valuable training either. It also provides bad training for the umpire, who quickly loses focus and starts looking for anything to call to get out of there, especially against the coach who is letting this happen.

SWFLguy Sat Apr 19, 2014 06:16pm

Situation here is similar. With school choice, the area tends to have talent concentrated in a handful of schools. The rest are lucky to fill out a roster, and in some cases do not field a JV team. Thank goodness for 15 run after 3/10 run after 5 mercy rules. Also when JV's play before Varsity, we have a time limit. I do not mind doing those games as I know no matter what goes on, I'm out of there in a buck 30. Sadly all too many are not much of a game at all, with say +75% of pitches being balls and half of the pitches are passed balls. You get the picture.

Tru_in_Blu Mon Apr 21, 2014 07:52am

Finally got a couple of varsity games in last week. Nothing like the 43-0 game, but neither of my games was competitive.

First was a 14-2 mercy in the bottom of the 6th. About 42 degrees and windy. At least the sun was shining.

Second was a game for 4 innings @ 0-0. Visitors ended up winning 9-0.

Andy Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIUmp (Post 932212)

On the other hand.....I have seen the coach on the wrong end of the lopsided score get upset at the winning team for leaving bases early and going station to station, etc.

His gripe was that he didn't want "charity" and his players needed to learn how to compete and overcome adversity. He also felt that the winning team was "showing them up" and sending the message that "you can't compete with us unless we help you."

I have also seen the winning coach in the lopsided game approach the losing coach once it is obvious that the game is one-sided and make sure that the tactics to end the game will be acceptable.

So it's not always the blanket poor sportsmanship that you seem to think...