The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I went to the Pirates/Dodgers game on Friday night, and got to see the GD from the originator...Gerry Davis was on the plate. I have switched to the "system" the last year and was excited to see how he actually called the game in person. A couple of observations:

1) Now I really understand how wide you need to be. Davis was double shoulder width apart..many first basemen would envy his mobility;

2) He's tall. I was in the outfield seats, but I would estimate that Davis is at least 6'2" (if anyone knows for sure, I'd like to know). That being said, for those of you that use the GD, do you think that being taller helps you? I'm 5'8" and, at least to me, it seems that I have some trouble seeing the corners because of my height...thoughts?

3) The low strike was there all night..to the point where a couple players gave the old "quick headturn in disagreement to the umpire" look.

4) Because he was spread so far, his chin was right above the top of the catcher's head. I've always tried to be higher than this to see the corners. Does everyone else try to get into this same position (right above the catcher's head)?
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
I went to the Pirates/Dodgers game on Friday night, and got to see the GD from the originator...Gerry Davis was on the plate. I have switched to the "system" the last year and was excited to see how he actually called the game in person. A couple of observations:

1) Now I really understand how wide you need to be. Davis was double shoulder width apart..many first basemen would envy his mobility;

2) He's tall. I was in the outfield seats, but I would estimate that Davis is at least 6'2" (if anyone knows for sure, I'd like to know). That being said, for those of you that use the GD, do you think that being taller helps you? I'm 5'8" and, at least to me, it seems that I have some trouble seeing the corners because of my height...thoughts?

3) The low strike was there all night..to the point where a couple players gave the old "quick headturn in disagreement to the umpire" look.

4) Because he was spread so far, his chin was right above the top of the catcher's head. I've always tried to be higher than this to see the corners. Does everyone else try to get into this same position (right above the catcher's head)?
The guys who are looking back want all of the ball above the knee for a strike. And the same guys want the pitch above the belt to be a ball. The hollow beneath the knee is the bottom of the zone, and any part of the ball can touch for a strike. I have been told I am a low strike umpire, but I think it's because I call any part of the ball at the hollow of the knee. I think GD helps with calling the corners and the low strike, because of being locked in to get a good solid look. I don't think the top of my zone has changed much since adopting GD, but I call more strikes low and on the corners.

I'm 5'10" and I get pretty wide, but not quite double shoulder width. I have a fellow umpire who is 5'6" and I notice that he is wide, but not as wide as I am. So maybe our relative head heights are about the same.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Mmmm,

I am 6'0" and I work as close to double wide as an old, fat man can.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Yeah Baby!

double wide, deep, and tall
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
If you are having problems seeing the corners then you need to either move up towards the catcher or stand more upright. The head just above the catchers head is right on as I do not think the GD stance is different in that reguard, someone with more experience with the stance can better fill you in on that. I have only tinkered with the GD stance and I plan on trying more during the light fall ball schedule I usually work.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

If you can't see the outside corner move BACK and higher.

But as I wrote in an earlier post . . . there are some catchers that just won't let you see the outside corner.

Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scottyman51
Yea,alot of the catchers in the towns i work in are average size so i can usually see the corners pretty well. A few times the catcher is big and it makes it harder,but i'm 6'4 so I just move more and dont usually have a problem.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

It's generally a problem to see the corner when a catcher wants to crowd the plate, regardless of the stance being used. I just tell him he is crowding the plate and I can't see the outside corner, and if he will back up about 8 inches (or whatever i think I need) I can see the plate better and it will help his pitcher. The smart ones get the message and back up about 4 inches more than I asked for.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2005, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Cool

I watched the Oakland L.A.A game tonight on ESPN. The PU was using a double wide stance with both hands on his knees.

As the game progressed he seemed to become more and more stationary, By that I mean he was not coming up fully out of his stance after the pitch, and he slowly gave up the slot for an over the top look at the pitch. He also appeared to committ to the pitch a little early, and was hung out to dry by Kendall and Molina numerous times.

Was I looking at the new G.Davis stance? I don't get to watch much MLB in the summer, and I have not seen GD work any games, at least I don't think I have seen him.

Tim.