The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

On deck batters

How do you feel about this as umpires?

I know the rules say the on deck batter shall stay in the on deck circle in front of their dugout. We have several fields that due to the size of the field/location of fences the ODC is relatively close to the plate. The coaches have asked that the ODB uses the ODC on that is behind the batter (ie batters back is facing the ODB), even if it isn't the ODC on his/her teams side.

What we have personally done is discussed this at the pregame conference. Most times both teams are in agreement to allow this because it is a safety issue. I personally feel I would rather have the the ODB somewhat protected from getting hit by a foul ball, rather than be exposed to a foul shot off the batters bat (we did have a batter get hit in the 43-0 DH games, and that was with plenty of room between the ODC and the plate).

I would also rather have the ODB taking practice swings on the opposite side than taking them outside the dugout where someone could walk by not paying attention and get clocked with a bat.

Doing JV ball, we don't always get the best fields to use, which means we may not have the most space available.

It is my opinion that the rules in NFHS are generally made for top level varsity contests without much regard for teams using facilities that don't have as much space available. I understand the rules and why this rule is there, but I think athlete and to some extent spectator safety comes first.

In the 43-0 games, the pitcher was throwing so fast, that the team was swinging way late and hit several balls right at the ODC. Luckily this was the ODC on the opponents side, not the home side. Had this been a road game for them, they would have been hitting it right at the ODB.

Last edited by chapmaja; Mon Apr 21, 2014 at 08:50am.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
How do you feel about this as umpires?

I know the rules say the on deck batter shall stay in the on deck circle in front of their dugout. We have several fields that due to the size of the field/location of fences the ODC is relatively close to the plate. The coaches have asked that the ODB uses the ODC on that is behind the batter (ie batters back is facing the ODB), even if it isn't the ODC on his/her teams side.

What we have personally done is discussed this at the pregame conference. Most times both teams are in agreement to allow this because it is a safety issue. I personally feel I would rather have the the ODB somewhat protected from getting hit by a foul ball, rather than be exposed to a foul shot off the batters bat (we did have a batter get hit in the 43-0 DH games, and that was with plenty of room between the ODC and the plate).

I would also rather have the ODB taking practice swings on the opposite side than taking them outside the dugout where someone could walk by not paying attention and get clocked with a bat.

Doing JV ball, we don't always get the best fields to use, which means we may not have the most space available.

It is my opinion that the rules in NFHS are generally made for top level varsity contests without much regard for teams using facilities that don't have as much space available. I understand the rules and why this rule is there, but I think athlete and to some extent spectator safety comes first.

In the 43-0 games, the pitcher was throwing so fast, that the team was swinging way late and hit several balls right at the ODC. Luckily this was the ODC on the opponents side, not the home side. Had this been a road game for them, they would have been hitting it right at the ODB.
Besides the rules, if there is not a "safe" place for the ODB on their own side, they don't have to have an ODB inside the field.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Honestly, I think that if you're allowing them to be on the wrong side, you're opening yourself up to problems if something bad should happen. Follow the rules - you're covered. Invent stuff - you're not.

Also, the idea that behind the batter is somehow safer than in front is an utter fallacy. Getting hit on either side is a rarity --- but in front is no more likely than behind, and behind is more likely a pull shot with some power whereas in front is likely a deflection.

Dixie softball REQUIRES the ODB to be behind the batter... and in the 2 years I was forced to umpire Dixie, I saw as many ODB's hit as any other years --- but I saw more INJURED due to being hit in the ODC.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

First, there is no requirement that there even BE and on-deck circle.
Second, if there is an ODC, there is no requirement that the next batter due up stand in it.
This leads to:
Third, if the coach believes his player is in an unsafe position while in the ODC, he can keep her in the dugout / behind the fence.

Here in MN, we have several summer leagues who require the ODB use the circle behind the batter if she is going to be out of the dugout.

Our state HS league (MSHSL) experimented with this (with NFHS's blessing) as well the last couple of years.

My experience is that it generally works well (i.e. no issues with standing on the opponent's side, no significant delays in the game, etc.).

Speaking personally, unless allowing the player to use the opponent's ODC is in the written rules, I would not allow it for the simple reason it is entirely possible for an ODB to get hurt even when behind the batter, so I would not want the liability exposure of allowing a player to be where the rules say she should not be. If the location of the ODC is unsafe in the coach's judgment, keep the "on-deck" batter in the dugout.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2014, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
First, there is no requirement that there even BE and on-deck circle.
Second, if there is an ODC, there is no requirement that the next batter due up stand in it.
This leads to:
Third, if the coach believes his player is in an unsafe position while in the ODC, he can keep her in the dugout / behind the fence.
Ding, Ding, Ding!

CORRECT ANSWER!