The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
A couple of you mentioned that I should have called time to go argue the point. I find this odd. As an umpire, if I make some offhand comment from a medium distance to a coach, and he then calls time to come confront me about it, I see that as a problem. So as a coach, I don't think I should do that.
As an umpire, I don't have a problem with a coach requesting time to ask me to clarify a rule for him. That's different than "arguing the point" with the umpire or "confronting" the umpire.

I think that as a coach you should be able to handle this with the same cool-headed approach we're expected to use as umpires when dealing with coaches. Request time, wait until it's granted, calmly ask for clarification, state your case, then if all you have left to hang your hat on is a protest, file the protest.

Maybe you don't want to be the guy that files a protest in an 11U rec league game, but if it really concerns you that the rule be enforced correctly, it's a better route to take than being the guy that smarts off to the umpires!
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
As an umpire, I don't have a problem with a coach requesting time to ask me to clarify a rule for him. That's different than "arguing the point" with the umpire or "confronting" the umpire.

I think that as a coach you should be able to handle this with the same cool-headed approach we're expected to use as umpires when dealing with coaches. Request time, wait until it's granted, calmly ask for clarification, state your case, then if all you have left to hang your hat on is a protest, file the protest.

Maybe you don't want to be the guy that files a protest in an 11U rec league game, but if it really concerns you that the rule be enforced correctly, it's a better route to take than being the guy that smarts off to the umpires!
A fair point.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 03:33pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Second - a couple of you mentioned that I should have called time to go argue the point.
Well, I'm not sure if I'm one of those "couple", but I never said anything about arguing. I suggested advising him what you know the rule to be, and why there is no problem with where your fielder is positioned, rather than retort with your comment. If he then had a problem with it, go ahead and lodge the protest, and BretMan suggested.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper View Post
Since you were obviously not getting anywhere by explaining that your player can be anywhere at the time of the pitch, I would just inform his UIC .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
As an umpire, I try not to have these conversations with a coach by talking across the field.

Might have been better to call time and walk out to have a private converstation with umpire.

Just my thoughts....

PS...and definately make sure he is taught or presented with the correct ruling.
Spot on. I agree. He was wrong. But I think you know it could have been handled better from both sides. If he's not going to do the right thing, then you do it. It's about the kids.

Side note: I had a coach one time call time and yell at me to BACK UP away from his DD, who he thought was too close to me in "B". So after he yelled across the field, I backed up - about 40 feet. When the call at first on the next play was safe, he came out to question. I said, "sorry coach, but I did my best to see it from all the way out here. I had to back up because a coach told me where I should go on the field."

He walked away angry but he understood his mouth caused the issue to begin with.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Tue Mar 25, 2014 at 08:38pm.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 08:10am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
Side note: I had a coach one time call time and yell at me to BACK UP away from his DD, who he thought was too close to me in "B". So after he yelled across the field, I backed up - about 40 feet. When the call at first on the next play was safe, he came out to question. I said, "sorry coach, but I did my best to see it from all the way out here. I had to back up because a coach told me where I should go on the field."

He walked away angry but he understood his mouth caused the issue to begin with.
Humorous, I guess. But I don't like to play those kinds of games with coaches. They only serve to raise the temperature on an already heated atmosphere.

I would have simply ignored him until he either came over to me in a more civilized manner, or until he crossed the line and gotten himself ejected.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Humorous, I guess. But I don't like to play those kinds of games with coaches. They only serve to raise the temperature on an already heated atmosphere.

I would have simply ignored him until he either came over to me in a more civilized manner, or until he crossed the line and gotten himself ejected.
Agree 100%.
Those kind of gotcha's are amusing to talk about over beers or on forums, but smart aleck responses are NEVER appropriate on the field.

We don't need to have the last word...... we have the final word.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post

What is a DD?
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 12:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
What is a DD?
An average Hooters waitress?

It's Internet-cutesy speak for "dear daughter." I want to puke every time I see someone use it, too.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 01:58pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Not the ones I've gone to.

Quote:
It's Internet-cutesy speak for "dear daughter." I want to puke every time I see someone use it, too.
I thought it was "dearest daughter". It's pretty prevalent in the softball world, and speaks volumes about how some parents, especially parents who are also coaches, feel about their kids playing the game. I, too, want to hurl when I see it.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

And all this time I thought it was "darling daughter".
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
And all this time I thought it was "darling daughter".
"Dollar Destroyer"
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hah hah

Anyway, I'm guessing you mean those daughters who pitch illegally and you're the first one to ever call it so we're going to videotape her pitching to show everyone what a mean nasty umpire you are who won't just let the girls play and have fun?

Rita