The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 24, 2001, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I just finished watching a great game between Duke and Wake Forest.The game went down to buzzer beater by Duke.I had no rooting interest just wanted to watch good ACC ball and top notch D1 officials.The game on TV was almost ruined by the nonstop criticism of the officials by jerk Billy Packer!I thought yes the refs let quite a bit of contact go but they seemed consistent in thier calls overall.Packer could hardly talk about anything except to say things like these officials are bad and they don't belong here.Does it seem like i'm overreacting or did anyone else out there see what I saw?
Old Sat Feb 24, 2001, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Agree

RefJef40

Billy is a former coach (need I say more?)

I did not see this game; however, I have watched other games where Packard was HYPER-critical of the officials.

I will note that he has "accidently" complimented officials during his "color" commentary.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2001, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
I just finished watching a great game between Duke and Wake Forest.The game went down to buzzer beater by Duke.I had no rooting interest just wanted to watch good ACC ball and top notch D1 officials.
1- Billy Packer played at Wake Forest. He should spend a week or two with some officials like Matt Millen did with the NFL last year.

2- Go over to http://www.accboards.com and check out the WF board. I guarantee you there whining about the officials.

3- The ACC/SEC coalition has some of the best officials in the country, yet ACC fans are always ignoratnly complaining about the officiating.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Billy Packer belongs right where Bobby Knight is--on the sidelines.
He has always castigated the officials when he does not like what is happening.
My take from this game was that the officials were keeping WF in the game, allowing them to shoot so many free throws.
At one point he mentioned that 26 fouls had been called on both teams, in the 1st half. Well I too agree with the original post that the officials were in control, but the players were not responding.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2001, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Get rid of Billy Packer and Dickie V and I could watch a game with the sound actually on!! For some reason I like to watch a game on TV and figure out what I like and don't like about what the teams and the refs are doing. Packer and Dickie V don't need a "TO Baby", they need a "KO".
Old Sun Mar 04, 2001, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Talking

RightO, Billy Boy is a real ass most of the time! He should stick to commenting on what he knows best like that as a player and coach. Billy Boy knows the rules when it suit's him and conveniently foregets or misapply's them when he get's on one of his tirades.

I personally use his announcing as practice on ignoring coachs and fans!!!

Or better yet when they have one of the whatever station he works for .COM's, comment to their sports desk what a "JERK" you think Billy Boy is.

Have Fun, your going to hear alot of him on the Road to the Final Four!