Thread: Was I a jerk?
View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 08:10am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
Side note: I had a coach one time call time and yell at me to BACK UP away from his DD, who he thought was too close to me in "B". So after he yelled across the field, I backed up - about 40 feet. When the call at first on the next play was safe, he came out to question. I said, "sorry coach, but I did my best to see it from all the way out here. I had to back up because a coach told me where I should go on the field."

He walked away angry but he understood his mouth caused the issue to begin with.
Humorous, I guess. But I don't like to play those kinds of games with coaches. They only serve to raise the temperature on an already heated atmosphere.

I would have simply ignored him until he either came over to me in a more civilized manner, or until he crossed the line and gotten himself ejected.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker