The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Whatcha got - discussion of umpire mechanics

To keep the rule/mechanics discussions separated. To review, let's go to the video tape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaIlQg-PqMA&authuser=0

Since this is an NCAA game, the mechanics that covers this play come from page 316 of the CCA manual. And this is my critique, and is for educational and discussion purposes only.

Two ways to start this play: either move to the holding zone, as R2 is your responsibility if she doesn't attempt to score OR point of the plate if you read the play as scoring. Myself, I'm tempted to utilize the former in two umpire (the latter if three umpire and no chase).

The next step is crucial, positioning for the play. So what is the best angle to see this play? To me, anywhere from far edge of RHBB to middle of LHBB would be good (3BLX is a bit far in this case and might miss some elements).

That's just my observations.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

What you said, Slick, as far as initial movement. Though I couldn't see R2 as she approached 3B, it appears by the timing that an earlier read and decision to get home could have been made in order to at least approach one of the calling positions you mentioned.

Looks like he ruled INT on the play. Not sure about that one - although my angle ball/runner position at time of contact isn't great. I'm not too sure his was either.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
What you said, Slick, as far as initial movement. Though I couldn't see R2 as she approached 3B, it appears by the timing that an earlier read and decision to get home could have been made in order to at least approach one of the calling positions you mentioned.
My impression of the initial movement from the plate was (1)lackadaisical/no sense of urgency, and (2) too close to the 3rd base line...which set the stage for (see bolded blue part above) not occurring.

No, we can't see what kind the PU attained on the play, but agree with Slick's assessment that (for me) the far edge of the RHBB would be provide the best calling position to see all the necessary elements of this play.

Regarding what occurred after the conclusion of the play, the comment made by the PU to the coach when he ejected him was highly unprofessional and unnecessary. I have to believe that neither PU's conference coordinator or DA would appreciate seeing that comment in EJ reports.

Last edited by KJUmp; Thu Mar 06, 2014 at 10:26pm.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
My impression of the initial movement from the plate was (1)lackadaisical/no sense of urgency,

What urgency? Just where does he need to get to in a hurry?

Quote:
and (2) too close to the 3rd base line...which set the stage for (see bolded blue part above) not occurring.
This may be true, didn't see enough of it to know.

Quote:
No, we can't see what kind the PU attained on the play, but agree with Slick's assessment that (for me) the far edge of the RHBB would be provide the best calling position to see all the necessary elements of this play.
I would probably be a little farther up and back off the line from the batter's box, setting up and then adjusting to the throw and runner's path.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

I like 3blx. that is my preferred default.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
What urgency? Just where does he need to get to in a hurry?
Just my impression......you've got yours.

I look for certain things in an umpire that I like to see and consider important. On this particular play I simply did not like the PU's reaction to the play in moving out from the behind HP to (I'm assuming/hoping) the holding area. I like to see a sense of purpose in an umpire's movement on the field.....but that's just me.

You're a long time clinician, trainer, evaluator and national tournament UIC and I'm sure that you look for and pickup on aspects of an umpire's game both positive and negative that you personally consider important when observing umpires on the field.

If I were the guy in the stands with the clipboard doing an eval, realtime and watching everything else on the play I may have never noticed it or considered it an issue. My impression came not just from replaying the video numerous times both in the original thread regarding the ruling, and again in this one regarding mechanics.....it caught my attention the first time i played it. But, that's just my impression.....FWIW.

If I were the guy in the stands with a clip board evaluating that would be my comment.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
I like 3blx. that is my preferred default.
Unfortunately, no softball organization supports that.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 10:16am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I look for certain things in an umpire that I like to see and consider important. On this particular play I simply did not like the PU's reaction to the play in moving out from the behind HP to (I'm assuming/hoping) the holding area. I like to see a sense of purpose in an umpire's movement on the field.....but that's just me.
And this is just me, but I feel umpires should strike a balance between hustling to get into positions to make expected calls, and casually moving to preserve stamina when no call is likely, particularly when conditions dictate, like in the Arizona heat.

Considering where the ball was hit--in right center to the fence--the PU had no real reason to move out with any urgency. The likely plays here would either be at home on R2, or on the BR at third base. Why should the PU hustle into the HA to watch touches of third, and then hustle back to prepare for the play at home?

Young pups love to bust everywhere on the field. That gets old fast as we get older.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
And this is just me, but I feel umpires should strike a balance between hustling to get into positions to make expected calls, and casually moving to preserve stamina when no call is likely, particularly when conditions dictate, like in the Arizona heat.

Considering where the ball was hit--in right center to the fence--the PU had no real reason to move out with any urgency. The likely plays here would either be at home on R2, or on the BR at third base. Why should the PU hustle into the HA to watch touches of third, and then hustle back to prepare for the play at home?

Young pups love to bust everywhere on the field. That gets old fast as we get older.

That's fairly accurate...it just looks bad...a couple of deliberate steps would have made a better impression. He is usually not that casual moving around....
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Wrong.
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
That's fairly accurate...it just looks bad...a couple of deliberate steps would have made a better impression. He is usually not that casual moving around....
Deliberate steps where?

When all of the elements are right in front of you, stay opened up and watch the play.

Once it was obvious that the second runner was coming around, I would have gone back to the point of plate / wedge and adjusted based on the throw.
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just my impression......you've got yours.

You're a long time clinician, trainer, evaluator and national tournament UIC and I'm sure that you look for and pickup on aspects of an umpire's game both positive and negative that you personally consider important when observing umpires on the field.

If I were the guy in the stands with the clipboard doing an eval, realtime and watching everything else on the play I may have never noticed it or considered it an issue. My impression came not just from replaying the video numerous times both in the original thread regarding the ruling, and again in this one regarding mechanics.....it caught my attention the first time i played it. But, that's just my impression.....FWIW.
With the number of runners moving on the hit, I would rather the umpire take the time to focus on the field. I know we have all been reminded about vision and focus when running is not advantageous.

I would be more concerned if the umpire ran out to the holding zone trying to find the ball and watching the runners or watching something other than the approaching runners or, even worse, not getting the mask off. Unfortunately, I've actually seen an umpire move toward a holding zone with the mask still on.

After years of seeing umpires bust their tail to a position, but not be prepared if the defense made a play other than that anticipated, I've come to the conclusion that running is over-rated.

I prefer the umpire be alert to and aware of the progress of the play while moving into position. Mind you, I'm not suggesting the umpire NOT get into position, just temper that movement with the knowledge of what is going on in the field.

As it is in the OP, with multiple runners, I probably wouldn't have even made it to holding zone and retreated once I realized a play was coming to the plate and my partner was in great position to pick-up any optional plays.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2014, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

I work 3blx for college ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Old Sun Mar 09, 2014, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
I work 3blx for college ball.
I do not believe it is that good a position and, IMO, more difficult from which to recover should a better angle be necessary.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2014, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

I think it has its advantages and disadvantages. its great for offline throws that setup swipe tags and hook slides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I do not believe it is that good a position and, IMO, more difficult from which to recover should a better angle be necessary.