The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Obstruction question

The Washington Officials Association has it's own test. I did well but missed one that I can't find casebook or rules directly addressing. (Or I may be missing it.)

Here's the question:

R1 is on third base, R2 is on 1st base, no outs. B4 hits a ground ball to F4, f4 trows the ball to F2 to prevent R1 from scoring. R1 gets into a rundown between 3rd base and home plate. During the rundown R1 is obstructed by F1. R1 is able to get back to 3rd base safely. During the rundown R2 had reached 3rd base. R2 is then tagged by f5 while standing on third base.

A. R2 is out.

B. The ball is dead as soon as the obstruction occurs.

C. Since R2 had reached 3rd base, R1 must be awarded home.

D. R1 is awarded the base she would have reached had the obstruction not occurred. Other runners are moved as....

(I don't have the last part of D.)

Rita
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
The Washington Officials Association has it's own test. I did well but missed one that I can't find casebook or rules directly addressing. (Or I may be missing it.)

Here's the question:

R1 is on third base, R2 is on 1st base, no outs. B4 hits a ground ball to F4, f4 trows the ball to F2 to prevent R1 from scoring. R1 gets into a rundown between 3rd base and home plate. During the rundown R1 is obstructed by F1. R1 is able to get back to 3rd base safely. During the rundown R2 had reached 3rd base. R2 is then tagged by f5 while standing on third base.

A. R2 is out.

B. The ball is dead as soon as the obstruction occurs.

C. Since R2 had reached 3rd base, R1 must be awarded home.

D. R1 is awarded the base she would have reached had the obstruction not occurred. Other runners are moved as....

(I don't have the last part of D.)

Rita
Speaking ASA

To start, you do not indicate what the awarded base should have been since there is no indication of the runner's progress at the time of the OBS. Let's assume the runner was OBS while returning to 3rd base.

Catch 22 - my opinion would be that R2 should be ruled out as R1 owns that base and you have a live ball. Since two players cannot occupy the same base simultaneously during a live ball, R2 was in jeopardy.

OTOH, there is another line of thought that would insist R2 was affected by the OBS, therefore afforded some level of protection. The counter to that would be that R2 safely advanced to a base that another runner would have attained safely had the OBS not occurred, hence R2 was not affected by the OBS that officially never occurred since the OBS safely attained the base to which s/he was entitled safely had the OBS not occurred.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 08:44am
Stirrer of the Pot

Well, obviously B and C are not correct.

I agree that there isn't enough information to address this. The answer could be A if there was no way that R1 would have achieved home absent the obstruction. Or it could be D if R1 would have scored if F1 had not hindered her and what's missing from your answer says something to that effect.

R2 made it safely to third base on her own accord. She ran the risk of being tagged out if R1 made it safely back as well. I don't see how anyone could argue that R2 was negatively affected by the obstruction on R1 unless it was clear that R1 would have scored on the play.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

I think the missing part of D is important. The answer was probably D.

If that's the entirety of the question, the question is worded poorly as it's missing a crucial piece - which base the umpire would have ruled that the runner would have reached absent the obstruction.

If home - award home, R2 stays on 3rd.
If 3rd, R2 is out.

I'm hoping verbiage to that effect was part of answer D.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

The only word missing from D is "necessary"
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
The only word missing from D is "necessary"
That's rather vague then ... but it's the most accurate answer.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 06, 2014, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

To all

This was the text of the question as it was. I wasn't worried about the last part of D because that was the answer I chose and it was reported as incorrect.

I also noted the question didn't describe which direction the runner was going but this was a high school test.

Since I answered D and that was incorrect and like Manny says, it can't be b or c, that leaves A to be the correct answer.

But I can't find any casebook or rule to back that up.

Rita
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 06:13am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
This was the text of the question as it was. I wasn't worried about the last part of D because that was the answer I chose and it was reported as incorrect.

I also noted the question didn't describe which direction the runner was going but this was a high school test.

Since I answered D and that was incorrect and like Manny says, it can't be b or c, that leaves A to be the correct answer.

But I can't find any casebook or rule to back that up.

Rita
Rita, all you really need is the language in rule 8-4-3b PENALTY c:

"When a runner, while advancing or returning to a base, is obstructed by a fielder who neither has the ball nor is attempting to field a batted ball, or a fielder who fakes a tag without the ball, the obstructed runner and each other runner affected by the obstruction, will be awarded the base or bases which would have been reached, in the umpire's judgment, had there been no obstruction."

In this scenario, R2 was never really affected by the obstruction, so she wouldn't get any base award here. She ran to third as runners are taught when a teammate gets into a rundown between third and home. The fact that R1 made it back to third safely puts R2 at risk, and she's going to be out on the tag unless the umpire judges R1 should be awarded home due to the obstruction.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
In this scenario, R2 was never really affected by the obstruction, so she wouldn't get any base award here. She ran to third as runners are taught when a teammate gets into a rundown between third and home. The fact that R1 made it back to third safely puts R2 at risk, and she's going to be out on the tag unless the umpire judges R1 should be awarded home due to the obstruction.
If you're going to take that line of reasoning, then don't you have to hold it the same way when R1 is going to be awarded home? R2 still wasn't affected by the obstruction. Or are you saying that by not letting R1 get home, R2 was affected? If you're saying that, then why can't R2 be affected simply by the run down being longer. Not saying that's this play necessarily (obviously there's not enough in the question to know), but consider that R1 gets knocked down on the way back to third and would have been tagged there. Since she got knocked down she doesn't make it to the tag and scrambles the other way. The run down now continues and R2 and R1 slide into third. The obstruction definitely affected R2 in this play.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2014, 09:12am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
If you're going to take that line of reasoning, then don't you have to hold it the same way when R1 is going to be awarded home? R2 still wasn't affected by the obstruction. Or are you saying that by not letting R1 get home, R2 was affected? If you're saying that, then why can't R2 be affected simply by the run down being longer. Not saying that's this play necessarily (obviously there's not enough in the question to know), but consider that R1 gets knocked down on the way back to third and would have been tagged there. Since she got knocked down she doesn't make it to the tag and scrambles the other way. The run down now continues and R2 and R1 slide into third. The obstruction definitely affected R2 in this play.
You have to take each play on its merits.

In this play, R2 was not affected whatsoever. She ran from first all the way to third base, as all runners do when R1 gets into a rundown between third and home. It doesn't matter if R1's obstruction was a slight bump or a complete knockdown to the ground. In fact, if R1 hadn't been obstructed, R2 would have done nothing different. There is nothing here that says the obstruction of R1 caused R2 to do something out of the ordinary.

Now, suppose R2 ran to third base because R1 was running home, R1 gets tripped by F1 as F1 is moving to back up a throw home, R1 gets up and scrambles back to third, and R2 reacts by heading back to second base, and she gets tagged out sliding headfirst into second. In that case, you could rule that R1 would have scored, and R2 would have safely achieve third, and put R2 there. That would be a case where the obstruction of R1 caused R2 to do something she wouldn't have done had there been no obstruction.
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

I assume this is ASA?
I do not do ASA at all so I guess I'm a bit confused. Why is it not Dead Ball immediately at time of obstruction during the run down?
(It is in NSA)
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
I assume this is ASA?
I do not do ASA at all so I guess I'm a bit confused. Why is it not Dead Ball immediately at time of obstruction during the run down?
(It is in NSA)
Yeah, NSA's rule could actually benefit the offending team. To the best of my knowledge, the only one that does.

Not a smart rule, IMO
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yeah, NSA's rule could actually benefit the offending team. To the best of my knowledge, the only one that does.

Not a smart rule, IMO
It's the same rule in OBR baseball. Immediate dead ball and runner is sent home.

I like it because it encourages the defense to stay out of the way.

Rita
Old Sat Mar 08, 2014, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's the same rule in OBR baseball. Immediate dead ball and runner is sent home.

Rita
That isn't what the NSA rule is. NSA is the same as other softball, you place the runner on the base they would have reached had the OBS not occurred. That isn't always the next base.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2014, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rita
[OBR] Only if a play is being made on the runner. (There was in the OP.) This is type A OBS.

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Sun Mar 09, 2014 at 12:19pm.