The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

OBS call

Well, both umpires had the call. 3BU did it correctly, PU, IMO, had it right, but not the proper mechanics, even for MLB

Play is here

BTW, this is also a great example as to why you discuss issue with one team representative and that is it. You ended up with 6 umpires providing personal explanations for 20 people. Should have discussed it with the manager and left the field
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, both umpires had the call. 3BU did it correctly, PU, IMO, had it right, but not the proper mechanics, even for MLB

Play is here

BTW, this is also a great example as to why you discuss issue with one team representative and that is it. You ended up with 6 umpires providing personal explanations for 20 people. Should have discussed it with the manager and left the field
Do you think the leg-raising is what decided the call?
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 12:17pm
wife loves the goatee...

The way I am hearing virtually everyone who will comment for the record explain the play, if Middlebrooks had been killed on the play and his body was tripped over by Craig, the call is the same.
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Play is here

What are the proper mechanics for MLB?
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
The way I am hearing virtually everyone who will comment for the record explain the play, if Middlebrooks had been killed on the play and his body was tripped over by Craig, the call is the same.
Very funny.

Rita
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 02:45pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Very funny.

Rita
But accurate.
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Same as most softball. When the obstructed runner is tagged out the ball is dead, the umpire is to call time and then award the base.

DeMuth just gave a safe signal, then pointed at third base.
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Same as most softball. When the obstructed runner is tagged out the ball is dead, the umpire is to call time and then award the base.

DeMuth just gave a safe signal, then pointed at third base.
While the mechanic was incorrect, what he did probably did a better job than the correct mechanics would have of indicating what the call was to the millions watching (as well as to the talking heads).
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
While the mechanic was incorrect, what he did probably did a better job than the correct mechanics would have of indicating what the call was to the millions watching (as well as to the talking heads).
At no point did the PU indicate OBS. And MLB clearly states that when there is a play on an obstructed runner, the umpire shall call "time" with both hand overhead. This isn't an interpretation, it isn't part of any "given" mechanics, the rule dictates the umpire shall act in this manner and instead, it looked like a vertically- challenged umpire trying to point over everyone toward the spot the OBS occurred and the time of the call and when he should have been declaring "time".

IOW, the umpire is to kill the play, then make the ruling. In this case, when two umpire make a call on the same runner, they should get together to ensure they are on the same page with the same call.
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
To my knowledge, the only difference between softball and baseball in this mechanic is that softball umpires declare a "dead ball", then administer the effect of the obstruction; in baseball, they call "time", to make it a dead ball, then administer the effect.

Now, the effects may be different; but the mechanic is if the obstructed runner is apparently out when protected, the umpire is to kill the play (dead ball or time called), NOT declare out nor safe on the initial play.
Old Sun Oct 27, 2013, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Play is here

Agreed!
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I disagree ... I think he muddied things by calling safe when he was not (yet) safe. I still don't think Craig has touched home plate. Perhaps he does if the mechanics are done right ... and perhaps if he still doesn't, Boston appeals correctly if the mechanics are done right... but we'll never know.

Also - PU did not know what award 3BU had in mind - so he's not the one that awards home.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At no point did the PU indicate OBS. And MLB clearly states that when there is a play on an obstructed runner, the umpire shall call "time" with both hand overhead. This isn't an interpretation, it isn't part of any "given" mechanics, the rule dictates the umpire shall act in this manner and instead, it looked like a vertically- challenged umpire trying to point over everyone toward the spot the OBS occurred and the time of the call and when he should have been declaring "time".

IOW, the umpire is to kill the play, then make the ruling. In this case, when two umpire make a call on the same runner, they should get together to ensure they are on the same page with the same call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I disagree ... I think he muddied things by calling safe when he was not (yet) safe. I still don't think Craig has touched home plate. Perhaps he does if the mechanics are done right ... and perhaps if he still doesn't, Boston appeals correctly if the mechanics are done right... but we'll never know.

Also - PU did not know what award 3BU had in mind - so he's not the one that awards home.
None of the fans watching (well, few of the fans watching) even know the difference between interference and obstruction, let alone the correct mechanic or what the rule says the umpire should do. They don't care, either, given the on-going discussion among the fans / media, where the argument that the fielder was just doing what he was supposed to do, etc., etc... (latest being Mike Golic on ESPN's Mike and Mike this morning).

What the PU did was communicate "runner safe due to the call my partner made at 3rd." Should he have done that? Well, by the book (or even by sound umpiring standards), no. Were there things that could have happened (e.g. Boston appealing) that would have resulted in a big mess? Absolutely.

But, no one watching was confused as to what the call was or why. JMO, of course.

I haven't heard a single fan, commentator, talking head, sports show host, etc., who was confused about what the call was.

Whereas killing the ball and conferring with the 3rd base umpire on the award.... really.... how do you think THAT would have worked out in the fan-base, media, etc.?

My point was that the way he did it better communicated to the fans what was going on, and I'll add to that: it also better sold the call than the correct mechanics would have.

Again, JMO.

Last edited by Dakota; Mon Oct 28, 2013 at 09:16am.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
OK AGREE, but this forum is also about improving ourselves as umpires and knowing our mechanics.

My leg-raising question still stands.

Found it interesting that in 4 games of 14&U, 12&U on Saturday; there was only one OBS.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:

Not to cut the PU any slack, because he is working at a much higher level with much more on the line than anything I have ever officiated, but I heard yesterday that the was the first obstruction call in MLB since 2004. It obviously isn't a mechanic they use very often.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"