The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   OBS call (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/96408-obs-call.html)

IRISHMAFIA Sun Oct 27, 2013 08:48am

OBS call

Well, both umpires had the call. 3BU did it correctly, PU, IMO, had it right, but not the proper mechanics, even for MLB

Play is here

BTW, this is also a great example as to why you discuss issue with one team representative and that is it. You ended up with 6 umpires providing personal explanations for 20 people. Should have discussed it with the manager and left the field

CecilOne Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 908984)
Well, both umpires had the call. 3BU did it correctly, PU, IMO, had it right, but not the proper mechanics, even for MLB

Play is here

BTW, this is also a great example as to why you discuss issue with one team representative and that is it. You ended up with 6 umpires providing personal explanations for 20 people. Should have discussed it with the manager and left the field

Do you think the leg-raising is what decided the call?

DRJ1960 Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:17pm

The way I am hearing virtually everyone who will comment for the record explain the play, if Middlebrooks had been killed on the play and his body was tripped over by Craig, the call is the same.

EsqUmp Sun Oct 27, 2013 02:05pm

Quote:

Play is here

What are the proper mechanics for MLB?

Rita C Sun Oct 27, 2013 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 909027)
The way I am hearing virtually everyone who will comment for the record explain the play, if Middlebrooks had been killed on the play and his body was tripped over by Craig, the call is the same.

Very funny.

Rita

DRJ1960 Sun Oct 27, 2013 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 909039)
Very funny.

Rita

But accurate.

BretMan Sun Oct 27, 2013 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 909034)

Same as most softball. When the obstructed runner is tagged out the ball is dead, the umpire is to call time and then award the base.

DeMuth just gave a safe signal, then pointed at third base.

Dakota Sun Oct 27, 2013 06:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 909050)
Same as most softball. When the obstructed runner is tagged out the ball is dead, the umpire is to call time and then award the base.

DeMuth just gave a safe signal, then pointed at third base.

While the mechanic was incorrect, what he did probably did a better job than the correct mechanics would have of indicating what the call was to the millions watching (as well as to the talking heads).

IRISHMAFIA Sun Oct 27, 2013 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 909051)
While the mechanic was incorrect, what he did probably did a better job than the correct mechanics would have of indicating what the call was to the millions watching (as well as to the talking heads).

At no point did the PU indicate OBS. And MLB clearly states that when there is a play on an obstructed runner, the umpire shall call "time" with both hand overhead. This isn't an interpretation, it isn't part of any "given" mechanics, the rule dictates the umpire shall act in this manner and instead, it looked like a vertically- challenged umpire trying to point over everyone toward the spot the OBS occurred and the time of the call and when he should have been declaring "time".

IOW, the umpire is to kill the play, then make the ruling. In this case, when two umpire make a call on the same runner, they should get together to ensure they are on the same page with the same call.

AtlUmpSteve Sun Oct 27, 2013 07:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 909034)

To my knowledge, the only difference between softball and baseball in this mechanic is that softball umpires declare a "dead ball", then administer the effect of the obstruction; in baseball, they call "time", to make it a dead ball, then administer the effect.

Now, the effects may be different; but the mechanic is if the obstructed runner is apparently out when protected, the umpire is to kill the play (dead ball or time called), NOT declare out nor safe on the initial play.

txtrooper Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15pm

Quote:

Play is here

Agreed!

MD Longhorn Mon Oct 28, 2013 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 909051)

I disagree ... I think he muddied things by calling safe when he was not (yet) safe. I still don't think Craig has touched home plate. Perhaps he does if the mechanics are done right ... and perhaps if he still doesn't, Boston appeals correctly if the mechanics are done right... but we'll never know.

Also - PU did not know what award 3BU had in mind - so he's not the one that awards home.

Dakota Mon Oct 28, 2013 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 909053)
At no point did the PU indicate OBS. And MLB clearly states that when there is a play on an obstructed runner, the umpire shall call "time" with both hand overhead. This isn't an interpretation, it isn't part of any "given" mechanics, the rule dictates the umpire shall act in this manner and instead, it looked like a vertically- challenged umpire trying to point over everyone toward the spot the OBS occurred and the time of the call and when he should have been declaring "time".

IOW, the umpire is to kill the play, then make the ruling. In this case, when two umpire make a call on the same runner, they should get together to ensure they are on the same page with the same call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 909097)
I disagree ... I think he muddied things by calling safe when he was not (yet) safe. I still don't think Craig has touched home plate. Perhaps he does if the mechanics are done right ... and perhaps if he still doesn't, Boston appeals correctly if the mechanics are done right... but we'll never know.

Also - PU did not know what award 3BU had in mind - so he's not the one that awards home.

None of the fans watching (well, few of the fans watching) even know the difference between interference and obstruction, let alone the correct mechanic or what the rule says the umpire should do. They don't care, either, given the on-going discussion among the fans / media, where the argument that the fielder was just doing what he was supposed to do, etc., etc... (latest being Mike Golic on ESPN's Mike and Mike this morning).

What the PU did was communicate "runner safe due to the call my partner made at 3rd." Should he have done that? Well, by the book (or even by sound umpiring standards), no. Were there things that could have happened (e.g. Boston appealing) that would have resulted in a big mess? Absolutely.

But, no one watching was confused as to what the call was or why. JMO, of course.

I haven't heard a single fan, commentator, talking head, sports show host, etc., who was confused about what the call was.

Whereas killing the ball and conferring with the 3rd base umpire on the award.... really.... how do you think THAT would have worked out in the fan-base, media, etc.?

My point was that the way he did it better communicated to the fans what was going on, and I'll add to that: it also better sold the call than the correct mechanics would have.

Again, JMO.

CecilOne Mon Oct 28, 2013 09:24am

OK AGREE, but this forum is also about improving ourselves as umpires and knowing our mechanics. :cool:

My leg-raising question still stands. :rolleyes:

Found it interesting that in 4 games of 14&U, 12&U on Saturday; there was only one OBS. :)

MNBlue Mon Oct 28, 2013 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 909053)

Not to cut the PU any slack, because he is working at a much higher level with much more on the line than anything I have ever officiated, but I heard yesterday that the was the first obstruction call in MLB since 2004. It obviously isn't a mechanic they use very often.