Thread: OBS call
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
At no point did the PU indicate OBS. And MLB clearly states that when there is a play on an obstructed runner, the umpire shall call "time" with both hand overhead. This isn't an interpretation, it isn't part of any "given" mechanics, the rule dictates the umpire shall act in this manner and instead, it looked like a vertically- challenged umpire trying to point over everyone toward the spot the OBS occurred and the time of the call and when he should have been declaring "time".

IOW, the umpire is to kill the play, then make the ruling. In this case, when two umpire make a call on the same runner, they should get together to ensure they are on the same page with the same call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I disagree ... I think he muddied things by calling safe when he was not (yet) safe. I still don't think Craig has touched home plate. Perhaps he does if the mechanics are done right ... and perhaps if he still doesn't, Boston appeals correctly if the mechanics are done right... but we'll never know.

Also - PU did not know what award 3BU had in mind - so he's not the one that awards home.
None of the fans watching (well, few of the fans watching) even know the difference between interference and obstruction, let alone the correct mechanic or what the rule says the umpire should do. They don't care, either, given the on-going discussion among the fans / media, where the argument that the fielder was just doing what he was supposed to do, etc., etc... (latest being Mike Golic on ESPN's Mike and Mike this morning).

What the PU did was communicate "runner safe due to the call my partner made at 3rd." Should he have done that? Well, by the book (or even by sound umpiring standards), no. Were there things that could have happened (e.g. Boston appealing) that would have resulted in a big mess? Absolutely.

But, no one watching was confused as to what the call was or why. JMO, of course.

I haven't heard a single fan, commentator, talking head, sports show host, etc., who was confused about what the call was.

Whereas killing the ball and conferring with the 3rd base umpire on the award.... really.... how do you think THAT would have worked out in the fan-base, media, etc.?

My point was that the way he did it better communicated to the fans what was going on, and I'll add to that: it also better sold the call than the correct mechanics would have.

Again, JMO.

Last edited by Dakota; Mon Oct 28, 2013 at 09:16am.