The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
NFHS illegal pitch, no option given

I always thought that in NFHS as well as in other sanctioning bodies, that if an illegal pitch was hit and all base runners advanced at least 1 base, there was no option given to the coach to take the play or the penalty for the illegal pitch. I found in the rule book that says if the batter hits the ball, fair or foul or obtains first base, no option is given. I can't find any mention of other runners advancing at least 1 base for no option to be given. The case book gives a conflicting ruling also. Can I get some help here with rule references? Thanks, Dave
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Where did you find in the rule book where it states fair or foul? Are you possibly reading under the slow pitch regulations?

6-1 Art1 Exceptions.

1. If the batter reaches 1st base safely and each other runner advances at least one base, the illegal pitch is nullified. All action stands and the illegal pitch is nullified.

2. If the batter does not reach first base safely or if any base runner fails to advance at least one base, the coach of the team at bat shall have the option of the result of the play or the pnealty of the illegal pitch.

ASA rules also state if the batter reaches base safely and all runners advance at least 1 base the IP is nullified.

Last edited by RKBUmp; Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 11:42am.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

My rule book reads differently than yours. Mine says 6-1 art 1 exception, when the pitcher completes the delivery of the ball to the batter and the batter hits the ball fair or foul, or becomes a base runner, the coach has the option of the play or penalty for illegal pitch.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

What year rule book you looking at? Im quoting directly out of the 2013
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
My rule book reads differently than yours. Mine says 6-1 art 1 exception, when the pitcher completes the delivery of the ball to the batter and the batter hits the ball fair or foul, or becomes a base runner, the coach has the option of the play or penalty for illegal pitch.
Can you quote the whole thing, without omissions or paraphrasing? And mention which book you're quoting?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Might help if I looked at 2013 instead of 2012. But along those lines, if 2012 was different than 2013, which it is, why isn't there a rule change or clarification for 2013? Here is exactly what 2012 says.6-1 Art 1 exception (When the pitcher completes the delivery of the ball to the batter and the batter hits the ball fair or foul, or becomes a base runner, the coach of the team at bat shall have the option of the result of the play or the penalty for an illegal pitch.) This is different and makes no sense. Dave
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 08:59am
Administrator

Here is the 2012-13 NFHS Softball Rule in question, R8-S1-A1 states:

ART. 1 . . . Prior to starting the delivery (pitch), the pitcher shall take a position with the pivot foot on or partially on the top surface of the pitcher's plate and the non-pivot foot in contact with or behind the pitcher's plate. Both feet must be on the ground within or partially within the 24-inch length of the pitcher's plate.

a. Prior to pitching, the pitcher must take a position with shoulders in line with first and third base with the ball in the glove or pitching hand, and with the hands separated.

b. While in this position, the pitcher shall take (or simulate taking) a signal from the catcher.

c. After completing "b" above, the pitcher shall bring the hands together in front of the body for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. The hands may be motionless or moving.

d. The pitcher shall not be considered to be in pitching position unless the catcher is within the lines of the catcher's box and in position to receive the pitch.

e. The pitcher may not take the pitching position on or near the pitcher's plate without having possession of the ball.

f. The pitcher may remove herself from the pitching position as follows:

1. before the hands come together, the pitcher may legally step back from the pitcher's plate with both feet;

2. when the hands are together and no part of the windup motion has been made, the pitcher may legally step back from the pitcher's plate with both feet;

3. either foot may be removed first.

PENALTY: (Art. 1) An illegal pitch shall be declared immediately by the umpire (delayed dead-ball signal). The batter is awarded a ball and base runners are awarded one base without liability to be put out.

EXCEPTION:

1. If the batter reaches first base safely and each other runner advances at least one base, the illegal pitch is nullified. All action stands and the illegal pitch is canceled.

The portion in red is highlighted in the rules book as a change from the previous year.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio