The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

What do you do?

Routine batted ball to F4 who has an easy play for the out at first. Just as F4 fields the ball, a ball from another field lands in the infield. F4 goes ahead and makes the play for the out.

Do you a)allow the out, as it was routine, b)call dead ball, award batter first, c)call dead ball and send the batter back to bat, or d)say it is not my problem but the other umpire's to sort out?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Routine batted ball to F4 who has an easy play for the out at first. Just as F4 fields the ball, a ball from another field lands in the infield. F4 goes ahead and makes the play for the out.

Do you a)allow the out, as it was routine, b)call dead ball, award batter first, c)call dead ball and send the batter back to bat, or d)say it is not my problem but the other umpire's to sort out?
I would not kill a play that had started with no effect on either the fielder or BR. I guess that is "a".
If the ball struck one of them, probably have to call a dead. "b" or "c" depending on who is affected.

"d" ONLY IF partner calls it first.
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

I worked at a Complex this weekend that has fields back to back and I make sure to mention at the PLATE meeting to keep playing. I also mention that we will use common sense, with your play I would have an out.
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The rule is not super clear in the copy of the rulebook I have digitally. Hopefully it's been edited since then. But it's 8-5-L and the effect is simply a dead ball. I think the effect from M was meant to be attached. When you have spectator interference, you rule as to what would have happened and do that. The rules supplement seems to suggest the same. In this case, I don't think it applies because to interfere you have to interfere with a play.
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

e) umpire the game in front of me
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
The rule is not super clear in the copy of the rulebook I have digitally. Hopefully it's been edited since then. But it's 8-5-L and the effect is simply a dead ball. I think the effect from M was meant to be attached. When you have spectator interference, you rule as to what would have happened and do that. The rules supplement seems to suggest the same. In this case, I don't think it applies because to interfere you have to interfere with a play.
Nope. Rule doesn't apply
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Nope. Rule doesn't apply
Why? Isn't throwing a ball into the middle of the field interference if it impedes a fielder executing a play?
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
e) umpire the game in front of me
Yeah, I should have included e), but I believe that would lead us back to a), or doe, or whatever it leads us back to.

Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why? Isn't throwing a ball into the middle of the field interference if it impedes a fielder executing a play?
Who was impeded in this situation?

Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who was impeded in this situation?
Nobody, which is why I don't advocate killing it in this situation. I was understand Mike to be saying that whatever you do in any ball on field situation isn't based on your interpretation of the spectator interference rule and if not I'm not sure what rule you do use to fix it.
Old Sun Jul 21, 2013, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nobody, which is why I don't advocate killing it in this situation. I was understand Mike to be saying that whatever you do in any ball on field situation isn't based on your interpretation of the spectator interference rule and if not I'm not sure what rule you do use to fix it.
To start, spectator interference is when a spectator enters the field of play and interferes. No spectator interfered with the play.

Second, there is nothing to fix, you start the play, you finish the play.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
To start, spectator interference is when a spectator enters the field of play and interferes. No spectator interfered with the play.

Second, there is nothing to fix, you start the play, you finish the play.
Is this wrong, if it affected the fielder or the runner?
"If the ball struck one of them, probably have to call a dead. "b" or "c" depending on who is affected. "
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps a play where someone was actually affected would make this clearer to some.

Grounder to F4, who fields the ball cleanly. As she is beginning to throw to 1st base, she is struck by a ball that came from another field, and she throws errantly, causing the batter runner to be safe.

A) Umpire the game in front of you - runner is safe.
B) Dead ball, reset (do-over)
C) Dead ball, place runners where you think they would have gotten to, no outs.
D) Dead ball, place runners and grant outs where you think they would have gotten to or happened.

My ruling - A. Soon to be ejected DC's ruling is likely B or D.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

If a batted ball comes from another field and in your judgement the ball affected the play on your field "we do nothing" ? I agree Umpire your game, however commonsense and advantage/disadvantage has to be used in this OP.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeump View Post
If a batted ball comes from another field and in your judgement the ball affected the play on your field "we do nothing" ? I agree Umpire your game, however commonsense and advantage/disadvantage has to be used in this OP.
You would have no rules basis for such a ruling.

Would you treat it the same if F4 was distracted by an errant cup that flew over from another field? A leaf? A bird or bee? Dust? A loud cheer? Why would a ball be different from the rest of these?

West Houston Mike