The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Nitty-Gritty

Hand up to hold pitch, is it an actual time out?

If so, why one hand and no verbal?
If so, may a runner leave a base?

If not, what rule prevents the pitcher from pitching, other than a no-pitch for everyone not being set?
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post

If not, what rule prevents the pitcher from pitching, other than a no-pitch for everyone not being set?
To add to this question: Are we still counting the time we have the hand up to the pitcher against the ten seconds that batter has to get in the box and set? Are we counting this time against the twenty seconds the pitcher has to pitch once they receive the ball back?
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I say IF there was time called and you are waiting for the batter to get set-Time is still out when your hand is up. If there was no time called and your hand is up-Time is IN. In case 2 if a pitcher trys to pitch-Call no pitch-time out". I would not think a no pitch should be called but Time is still IN. That would not be fair to a baserunner who gets messed up and has a lookback issue.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Answers for consideration:
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
Quicker; keeps the batter in the "getting ready" mode rather than "time out" mode. I don't use this mechanic much; usually it will only be because the batter is not ready, especially if she is not looking at the pitcher and the pitcher looks like she might be about to start her windup.
Quote:
No. I know this conflicts with my answer to the first question.
Quote:
Don't understand the question. Are you asking what stops the pitcher from pitching through the stop sign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
To add to this question: Are we still counting the time we have the hand up to the pitcher against the ten seconds that batter has to get in the box and set?
Yes, if the delay is due to the batter not being ready. (I know this violates my answer to the first question, at least technically.)
Quote:
Are we counting this time against the twenty seconds the pitcher has to pitch once they receive the ball back?
No.

No rule cites for any of the above.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 12:07pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Yes.
Quicker; keeps the batter in the "getting ready" mode rather than "time out" mode. I don't use this mechanic much; usually it will only be because the batter is not ready, especially if she is not looking at the pitcher and the pitcher looks like she might be about to start her windup.
Don't understand the question. Are you asking what stops the pitcher from pitching through the stop sign?

Yes, if the delay is due to the batter not being ready. (I know this violates my answer to the first question, at least technically.)
No.

I completely agree with Tom
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No

Quote:
n/a

Quote:
Not if all the elements of the LBR being in effect are satisfied

Quote:
Nothing, other than "no pitch"

Quote:
To add to this question: Are we still counting the time we have the hand up to the pitcher against the ten seconds that batter has to get in the box and set?
Yes.

Quote:
Are we counting this time against the twenty seconds the pitcher has to pitch once they receive the ball back?
No with conditions
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. It is simply a directive to not pitch yet.

Quote:
Tradition, probably for much the reason that Tom (Dakota) already stated.

Quote:
See Mike (Irishmafia's) answer.

Quote:
No rule cite. It is simply a directive being given by the umpire to hold the pitch until all participants are ready.

Andy, both Tom and Mike have already answered your question in a manner I agree with.

This is a tool of the umpire that, in my opinion, should not be overused. I may use it once or twice in a 7 inning game on average. I have seen umpires who use it virtually for every pitch, and that sends the signal to me that they are not in sync with the game, or else that they do not understand the intent of that particular directive.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, just means hold up, don't pitch.

Quote:
Not time out, no verbal necessary.

Quote:
At risk of LBR violation.

Quote:
Continual disregard of any legitimate directive by the umpire is misconduct, can lead to ejection.

Quote:
Hell, yeah; the batter not being set is the only legitimate reason to hold up the pitcher. In most cases, I am counting against the batter more than holding the pitcher. Gig the batter, and it becomes unnecessary to hold the pitcher.

Quote:
Not completely. If the pitcher takes too long (twenty seconds total from time of receipt minus time I held her waiting for batter) after receiving ok, I will rule a timing violation against the pitcher, not start the cat-and-mouse, who is in control, I want time game between pitcher and catcher.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Quote:
Not if all the elements of the LBR being in effect are satisfied
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Quote:
Nothing, other than "no pitch"
Indulge me, please. If we can call a runner out under the LBR in this situation, why wouldn't we allow the most favorable result for the offense if pitcher foolishly pitches through the stop sign? For example, a ball added to the count, or perhaps, a home-run if it's hit over the fence in fair territory.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
OK, so if the answer is no, as I always thought, the other questions are negated.
Why then, would I be told to drop my hand before calling "play"; not after?
I have done it that way because the pitcher can see me and the batter can not.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No time out, since I do not hold my hand up.
On those rare occasions when a pitcher begins her motion before the batter is in, announce "no pitch". Do that once and the problem generally goes away.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Yes.

No.

I love you, Man.
Those are my kind of answers.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, so if the answer is no, as I always thought, the other questions are negated.
Why then, would I be told to drop my hand before calling "play"; not after?
I have done it that way because the pitcher can see me and the batter can not.
I cannot answer that, because I wouldn't even consider to call "play" when the ball is already live (remember, NOT time out).
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
No time out, since I do not hold my hand up.
On those rare occasions when a pitcher begins her motion before the batter is in, announce "no pitch". Do that once and the problem generally goes away.
Very good Post, thé Hold up signal is old and Over used, Just do not use it.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2013, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
Indulge me, please. If we can call a runner out under the LBR in this situation, why wouldn't we allow the most favorable result for the offense if pitcher foolishly pitches through the stop sign? For example, a ball added to the count, or perhaps, a home-run if it's hit over the fence in fair territory.
Because there is a reason you don't want them to pitch and it usually involves one or more of the three people in the path of the ball not being prepared for the delivery. Okay, two as if the umpire isn't ready, s/he shouldn't be behind the plate.

Or there may be a runner or coach not in position or prepared to play. If you are going to allow a home run when you directed the pitcher not to pitch, are you willing to call R1 out for being off the base because s/he wasn't given the opportunity to return?