The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
Mike, remember one thing...

When you point the finger as you have done, three of your own fingers are pointing right back at you. If you wanted to hold parties accountable, what seat do you sit?
What is your motive with this? Please make a point, with a corrective suggestion and give up the personals.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Are you his guard or attack dog? You seem to arrive on cue every time. Mike seems well equipped to take care of himself.

Nothing personal, I was under the impression mike was high up the food chain in the ASA to do something about what he dislikes, that is all. He comes off as a person within with the authority. It only makes sense that he do something other than to complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
What is your motive with this? Please make a point, with a corrective suggestion and give up the personals.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, now I understand, you are putting that emphasis on the umpires. I won't disagree with you, umpires doesn't get a free pass. I am putting far more emphasis on the ASA than most staunch ASA guys can stomach, but that's just me and makes for great diversity of viewpoints.

My point is, the ASA owns its problems like it or not, and taking an oblivious approach and passing the buck doesn't help matters. So many give the ASA a free pass for what is so obviously self made problems.

I sometimes wonder that those that staunchly defend the ASA aren't really the problem.
Seems to me you've created this role for ASA that you expect them to fulfill and then blame them for not fulfilling it. There is no such entity that has the amount of control you seem to expect them to have. It is not ASA's problem when some random umpire wears it's gear to non-ASA events - and expecting them to be able to police that is honestly quite foolish.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
...some random umpire wears it's gear...

Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
His point is to Satanize ASA on any platform he can find, but I really don't believe he knows or understands what ASA's function or mission statement or responsibility is.

But does anyone see the irony in the way he has turned the thread?
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I think demonizing the ASA is giving it too much credit.

The ASA has really over-managed some areas, and under-managed others. That doesn't make it evil, it makes it inept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
His point is to Satanize ASA on any platform he can find, but I really don't believe he knows or understands what ASA's function or mission statement or responsibility is.

But does anyone see the irony in the way he has turned the thread?
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Compliance is gained by enforcement. Controlling quality sometimes requires removing irregularities. Doing something makes sense, because doing nothing isn't helping matters. Leadership needs to come from the top down when leadership fails from the bottom up.

Quote:
Seems to me you've created this role for ASA that you expect them to fulfill and then blame them for not fulfilling it. There is no such entity that has the amount of control you seem to expect them to have. It is not ASA's problem when some random umpire wears it's gear to non-ASA events - and expecting them to be able to police that is honestly quite foolish.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
because doing nothing isn't helping matters.
There is nothing here that needs to be helped.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Really?

OK, I'm coming from a different viewpoint then. If you see no problem, then if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I see it different tho.

Quote:
There is nothing here that needs to be helped.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Wow! This has ranged widely. I have been a member of this forum for a long time, read it often, but have never posted before - so here goes nothing.
The first thing I ask my assigner is "WHAT UNIFORM FOR THIS EVENT?" I certainly wouldn't wear just anything I feel like. Doug
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Are you his guard or attack dog? You seem to arrive on cue every time. Mike seems well equipped to take care of himself.

Nothing personal, I was under the impression mike was high up the food chain in the ASA to do something about what he dislikes, that is all. He comes off as a person within with the authority. It only makes sense that he do something other than to complain.
If you can't answer my question, at least "give up the personals", as above.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I cant believe I read all 5 pages of this.....
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 01:33pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The WCOS is purely ASA.
So now I'm confused. Sorry I didn't see this earlier in the discussion.

If this tournament is "purely ASA", why wouldn't the umpires wear ASA? And what is the tie-in with ISF? Is there some sort of agreement between the two organizations to conduct this thing? Why isn't the championship "purely ISF"?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

I just did, or I can ignore you.

Quote:
If you can't answer my question, at least "give up the personals", as above.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
So now I'm confused. Sorry I didn't see this earlier in the discussion.

If this tournament is "purely ASA", why wouldn't the umpires wear ASA? And what is the tie-in with ISF? Is there some sort of agreement between the two organizations to conduct this thing? Why isn't the championship "purely ISF"?
For the same reason the Canada Cup is purely Softball Canada, Japan Cup is purely the Japan Softball Assn. They are all sanctioned and played by ISF rules.