The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Rules Trivia

ASA - Runners on the corners, 2 outs. The batter hits into the outfield, and it falls fair in deep left. The runner from 3rd scores easily. The runner from 1st rounds 2nd, but as the throw is coming in, she realizes she missed the bag. She turns around and slides into 2nd, but she overslides and ends up on the other side of the base (between 1st and 2nd). She is tagged by the 2B. Count the run?

(This one is good, as the place where this was posted has umpires on both sides of the argument)

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

So, the question is: In ASA is the force reinstated?
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
He already asked the question, he wants the answer.

I haven't looked at an ASA rulebook in years. If memory serves, the force is reinstated and the run wouldn't count.

$0.02

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Yep.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I have no run as well. Several umpires who usually get them right on that site are scoring the run.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Retreating from the base to which the runner was forced reinstates the force out. I would go with no run scoring.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

(This one is good, as the place where this was posted has umpires on both sides of the argument)
Others have given the ASA ruling.
What place is this? TiA
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

my call is you have a stupid base runner. should just carry on and pray to the old gods that defense doesn't appeal!
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 05:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnalex View Post
my call is you have a stupid base runner. should just carry on and pray to the old gods that defense doesn't appeal!
This is not an appeal play. Runner was tagged out, while off the bag (if I read right).
As the third out is made, plate umpire should immediately and emphatically wave off the run.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

ok..here we go....i dont have her retreating to first base. i have her retreating to second base and oversliding it making this a timing play. score the run..
if the runner rounds second base, stops and then rerounds(is that a word?) second base and heads toward first base, thinking perhaps that she missed first base, and then gets put out i would have a reinstated force and the run would not count

Last edited by grounder; Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 08:36am.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 08:59am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I have no run as well. Several umpires who usually get them right on that site are scoring the run.
I'm kinda curious why. Perhaps they feel that a runner who overslides the bag going back to second really isn't between first and second?

I envision this runner ending up past the bag but still in the line extended between third and second. IOW, her slide took her towards right-center field. Would you really consider that "between first and second"?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

She is retreating to 2nd base...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grounder View Post
ok..here we go....i dont have her retreating to first base. i have her retreating to second base and oversliding it making this a timing play. score the run..
if the runner rounds second base, stops and then rerounds(is that a word?) second base and heads toward first base, thinking perhaps that she missed first base, and then gets put out i would have a reinstated force and the run would not count
But, in doing so basically runs "past" second base by over sliding which puts her back between 1st and 2nd base. This would reinstate the force and since she is put out before regaining second base you now have a force out and no run can score.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I'm kinda curious why. Perhaps they feel that a runner who overslides the bag going back to second really isn't between first and second?

I envision this runner ending up past the bag but still in the line extended between third and second. IOW, her slide took her towards right-center field. Would you really consider that "between first and second"?
good point...but even if the runner did end up in the base line of 1st and 2nd id still have a problem considering her slide back into 2nd base an attempt to retreat to first. i know this is a different situation but i think its comparable. a runner overrunning first base isnt always considered an attempt to go to second base but as an umpire we are trained to detect any attempt or motion that we consider an attempt to advance to 2nd and then rule accordingly...i think the same logic should apply to the OP
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Straight from the rule book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grounder View Post
good point...but even if the runner did end up in the base line of 1st and 2nd id still have a problem considering her slide back into 2nd base an attempt to retreat to first. i know this is a different situation but i think its comparable. a runner overrunning first base isnt always considered an attempt to go to second base but as an umpire we are trained to detect any attempt or motion that we consider an attempt to advance to 2nd and then rule accordingly...i think the same logic should apply to the OP
THE RUNNER IS OUT.
When, on a force play, a fielder contacts the base while holding the ball, or tags the runner before the runner reaches the base. If the forced runner, after touching the next base, retreats for any reason towards the base first occupied, the force play is reinstated and the runner may again be put out if the defense tags the runner or the base to which the runner is forced.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
THE RUNNER IS OUT.
When, on a force play, a fielder contacts the base while holding the ball, or tags the runner before the runner reaches the base. If the forced runner, after touching the next base, retreats for any reason towards the base first occupied, the force play is reinstated and the runner may again be put out if the defense tags the runner or the base to which the runner is forced.
i understand that and would respect your decision rule accordingly if you considered the overslide back to second a retreat to first base. my arguement being an overslide back to second is just that, an overslide to second not an attempt to retreat to first base in most cases..also, if you consider it a retreat, a runner sliding back into second after rounding it is not reallty retreating 'towards' the base first occupied. they are retreating 'towards' right field as manny alluded to

Last edited by grounder; Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 10:00am.