The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

ASA SP Strike Zone

I've done years of fast pitch and just started doing SP 3 years ago. I find calling ball and strikes in SP very difficult. I've done leagues that use a strike mat and that's a piece of cake. Without the strike mat ASA states the strike zone is between the knee and the back shoulder but I have a hard time judging that, especially when the catcher stands back from the plate. I usually call the pitch depending on where it lands behind the plate. Assuming you have a legal pitch, what tips can you give me on how to call balls and strikes in ASA SP? I don't feel I'm doing the game justice.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

1. Work the slot just as you do in FP.
  2. Use the same heel-toe stance that is taught for FP, but when you drop, put your eyes at the height of the batter's shoulders.
  3. Track the pitch all the way in until caught or it hits the ground.
  4. Don't set up in front of the catcher, but you can setup even with the catcher

These are what we teach in ASA SP clinics. After that, it's just seeing pitches and repetition.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Using the pitch landing spot can help you, but shouldn't be the lone factor in calling a pitch. Pitches that are 6' can land much "deeper" than a 10' pitch and still be a strike. Forget where the batter is standing and focus on the plate. If the catcher doesn't give you a good look, ask him to move so you can get the look you desire. If he doesn't co-operate, benefit of the doubt goes to the batter. He'll usually get the hint after a pitch or two that he doesn't agree with. Slowpitch is a hitters game, but also remember that a pitcher has an obligation to throw a "hittable" pitch. I also never call a pitch a strike that lands much over 12" behind the back of the box. It technically may be a strike, but it's not expected to be called one by anyone. Calling this pitch a strike at higher levels would not go over well. Be consistent and players will adjust. No two umpires call 6' or 10' the same, so go with a height that you are comfortable with and stick with it. Hope this helps some.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
Using the pitch landing spot can help you, but shouldn't be the lone factor in calling a pitch. Pitches that are 6' can land much "deeper" than a 10' pitch and still be a strike. Forget where the batter is standing and focus on the plate. If the catcher doesn't give you a good look, ask him to move so you can get the look you desire. If he doesn't co-operate, benefit of the doubt goes to the batter. He'll usually get the hint after a pitch or two that he doesn't agree with. Slowpitch is a hitters game, but also remember that a pitcher has an obligation to throw a "hittable" pitch. I also never call a pitch a strike that lands much over 12" behind the back of the box. It technically may be a strike, but it's not expected to be called one by anyone. Calling this pitch a strike at higher levels would not go over well. Be consistent and players will adjust. No two umpires call 6' or 10' the same, so go with a height that you are comfortable with and stick with it. Hope this helps some.
Forget the bold portions above. Other than to insure the ball doesn't hit the plate, where it lands should be totally and completely irrelevant. For that matter, whether it passed through the strike zone should already be determined by that point.

Just like in FP, you have to work on your strike zone. And I'm not suggesting you go crazy, just don't use the spot on the ground as a crutch as it does for some people. It is a bad habit and I've seen a lot of umpires end up just staring at the ground and it cost you a load of strikes. And personally, I don't care what the players like or don't like, including the big boys.

Andy is correct, the mechanics are the same for both games. If the catcher pushes you back, you see what you can see. Old school (Bernie) told the umpire to stand where s/he normally would and if the ball bounces off you and allows the runners to go, tough. New school states you stand behind the catcher no matter what. You do the best you can from there.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 07:11pm.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898 View Post
I've done years of fast pitch and just started doing SP 3 years ago. I find calling ball and strikes in SP very difficult. I've done leagues that use a strike mat and that's a piece of cake. Without the strike mat ASA states the strike zone is between the knee and the back shoulder but I have a hard time judging that, especially when the catcher stands back from the plate. I usually call the pitch depending on where it lands behind the plate. Assuming you have a legal pitch, what tips can you give me on how to call balls and strikes in ASA SP? I don't feel I'm doing the game justice.
The biggest complaint I get in WReck League ball is from the players who like to stand at the very back of the box, or very frton of the box. When I call a pitch a strike that lands at their feet, they don't like it. I've had to remind many players the strike zone is based on home plate, not where they are standing. The smart ones adjust, others just keep getting stirkes called on them because pitchers know to pitch them low, and they haven't adjusted.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Forget the bold portions above. Other than to insure the ball doesn't hit the plate, where it lands should be totally and completely irrelevant. For that matter, whether it passed through the strike zone should already be determined by that point.

Just like in FP, you have to work on your strike zone. And I'm not suggesting you go crazy, just don't use the spot on the ground as a crutch as it does for some people. It is a bad habit and I've seen a lot of umpires end up just staring at the ground and it cost you a load of strikes. And personally, I don't care what the players like or don't like, including the big boys.

Andy is correct, the mechanics are the same for both games. If the catcher pushes you back, you see what you can see. Old school (Bernie) told the umpire to stand where s/he normally would and if the ball bounces off you and allows the runners to go, though. New school states you stand behind the catcher no matter what. You do the best you can from there.
What the old guy said.... DO NOT call a pitch based on where it lands..unless it hits the plate....get in the slot.... track the pitch across the body
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Assuming the pitch doesn't hit the plate, envision a 3 dimensional glass box, bottom and top set by the height of the batter, sides, front, and back set by the plate.

If the pitch breaks the glass, it's a strike.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

By the book, where the pitch lands doesn't matter. As a matter of survival, it does. Like I said previously, try calling a 6' pitch that lands 2' behind the box a strike at the upper levels and they'll be carrying you off the diamond in a body bag.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Assuming the pitch doesn't hit the plate, envision a 3 dimensional glass box, bottom and top set by the height of the batter, sides, front, and back set by the plate.

If the pitch breaks the glass, it's a strike.
Smoke
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
By the book, where the pitch lands doesn't matter. As a matter of survival, it does. Like I said previously, try calling a 6' pitch that lands 2' behind the box a strike at the upper levels and they'll be carrying you off the diamond in a body bag.
I've umpired the "upper" levels of SP softball and once they realize you call the zone and not the "mat", they adjust and just smack the ball. Most upper level players aren't looking for the b-on-b and they're swinging at most hittable pitches so most of the time it's a non-issue. I get more chirping about my strike zone by the "E" and lower level players than I do with the "D" and above guys. I haven't been carried off in a body bag yet.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

I've been trying to get out of the habit of seeing where the ball lands. If it lands 4" behind the plate but inside, it may very well have broken over the plate. I really hate myself when I call based on landing, unless it hits the plate. I don't agree with those that call a ball just because it's caught over a foot behind. All pitches are different and a ball may very well be legal but still come in "deep" as they say here... especially if the pitch has just barely hit 6'

My rule now is always just shoulders and knees, with a width of one ball wide of the edge.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2013, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue View Post
I've umpired the "upper" levels of SP softball and once they realize you call the zone and not the "mat", they adjust and just smack the ball. Most upper level players aren't looking for the b-on-b and they're swinging at most hittable pitches so most of the time it's a non-issue. I get more chirping about my strike zone by the "E" and lower level players than I do with the "D" and above guys. I haven't been carried off in a body bag yet.
This is true, been there, done that. The real "big boys" don't whine and complain a tenth as much as the wannabe's. They may not like it, but they will adjust and hit the ball.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
This is true, been there, done that. The real "big boys" don't whine and complain a tenth as much as the wannabe's. They may not like it, but they will adjust and hit the ball.
Exactly. The zone is not an issue at upper levels, from my experience.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the input. The way most catchers stand, at least in C/D and co-ed, it is just impossible to be in the slot. However, I have been trying to get a better look and not call 'where it lands'. I appreciate the help.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2013, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898 View Post
Thanks for all the input. The way most catchers stand, at least in C/D and co-ed, it is just impossible to be in the slot. However, I have been trying to get a better look and not call 'where it lands'. I appreciate the help.
Let's see, I've been working the slot for more than 25 years from E to Major and it has never been impossible for me. Also, I've found that it is the lower levels that still think they are a catcher and DON'T stand, while anything above D always stand.

If a catcher is in your way, politely ask them to move and explain you need to see the pitch. DO NOT forsake your mechanics for the catcher. If the catcher does not move, call the pitches balls and when the pitcher asks, tell him/her that you have politely asked the catcher to move out of the slot so you could see the strikes, but s/he will not. The pitcher will move the catcher.