The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
What we have trained umpires to do in PONY and NYSSO is to have the base umpire check the runner with the 3rd base coach and the plate umpire to check the runner with the 1st base coach. They can then just call the number out to each other. The reason for that is because it gets the base umpire on the side of the infield he will be starting on. Even experienced umpires have been caught with their pants down on the 1st base line.
What do you do in 3-man?
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
What do you do in 3-man?
3rd base umpire checks with 3rd base dugout. Plate checks with 1st base dugout. 1st base umpire brushes the pitcher's plate.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Well, the wrong batter could lead off.
The wrong batter leading off is a BOO issue - and has nothing to do with who the correct runner should be.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

xtremeump

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The wrong batter leading off is a BOO issue - and has nothing to do with who the correct runner should be.
+1 we should not care who they send up to bat, check your line up card and make sure the batter before goes to 2B. I agree it is nice to smooch with the coach and make sure that everyon is happy. NOBODY cares if I am happy !!!
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeump View Post
+1 we should not care who they send up to bat, check your line up card and make sure the batter before goes to 2B. I agree it is nice to smooch with the coach and make sure that everyon is happy. NOBODY cares if I am happy !!!
If you're suggesting that we send to second the runner who is before the person who comes up to bat, rather than the person who is due up; I strongly disagree.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
If you're suggesting that we send to second the runner who is before the person who comes up to bat, rather than the person who is due up; I strongly disagree.
Um ... what? You want to double check what you just said? Sounds like you're saying to send the person who is due up to 2nd base. I sure hope I'm mis-reading that.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Um ... what? You want to double check what you just said? Sounds like you're saying to send the person who is due up to 2nd base. I sure hope I'm mis-reading that.
You are. Xtreme suggested that he'd look at his lineup card based on who came up to bat and make sure the runner on second was due up before her. I'm saying that who actually comes up to bat is irrelevant. Who is due up is relevant.

I will not send the person who is due up to second base. If I did the pitcher might turn around and pitch to her and I do not have a rule to cover that one ;-)
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I don't get to say this often, but actually agree with the NCAA rule versus the ASA rule. Why should it be the umpire's responsibility to get the right runner on base? How is that different than checking to be sure we have the right batter before the start of every half inning?

If asked, answer the question. If not asked, ignore it until appealed.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

xtremeump

Who is due up is relevant.

It is not very often that I check in any inning if the proper batter is the lead off batter. Never. If the Coach sends up the wrong batter it is the responsibility of the other coach to properly appeal BOO ??? I know that everyone on here likes to jump on me and thats OK but I do not like to talk to any Coach, I am not there friend, it is there job to Coach, my job to Umpire. Does anyone make sure the correct batter is leading off in the bottom of the 7th inning in a 0 to 0 ball game ? A good coach with the new BOO rule may send up his best hitter, if she is properly appealed by the DC OH WELL. Next batter.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

xtremeump

I wish it was that easy, I always check and make sure that everything is right. I do not like to, but I do make sure, because that is what is expected of me.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2013, 08:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I wish it was that easy, I always check and make sure that everything is right. I do not like to, but I do make sure, because that is what is expected of me.
Why do you put your name in as the title of all your posts?
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why do you put your name in as the title of all your posts?
I do not do it on purpose, I need one of my great grand daughters to show me how to fix it. Very sorry to bother you. WOW I fixed all by myself Thank You
That is not really my name, it is a User Name.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who is due up is relevant.

It is not very often that I check in any inning if the proper batter is the lead off batter. Never. If the Coach sends up the wrong batter it is the responsibility of the other coach to properly appeal BOO ??? I know that everyone on here likes to jump on me and thats OK but I do not like to talk to any Coach, I am not there friend, it is there job to Coach, my job to Umpire. Does anyone make sure the correct batter is leading off in the bottom of the 7th inning in a 0 to 0 ball game ? A good coach with the new BOO rule may send up his best hitter, if she is properly appealed by the DC OH WELL. Next batter.
We (well, most of us) are not saying that you should make sure the right batter gets in the box in the 7th inning...

Just that you should find out who that proper batter is - then look at your lineup card, see who goes on 2nd, and ensure that player is on 2nd.

Getting the right batter to the plate is the coach's job.

West Houston Mike