The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Play at 1B

Hard liner skips off F3's mitt toward 1B coach's box (fair ball)... F3 retrieves it, and easily wins the footrace to the bag (by at least 3 steps), with both F3 and BR hitting orange only.
I have safe, off the bag.
Did I tank this basic call?
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

8-M-4 On a force out attempt from the foul side of 1st base the defense and the batter-runner may use either the white or contrasting color portion of the base.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

tank.

Thought it doesn't turn into one big bag for both Offense and Defense until after BR rounds 1B.
I guess the only time contrasting bag is off limits to the Defense is on a non-errant throw from fair territory (F3 sets up for an ordinary throw from F6, with foot on contrasting bag)?

Thanks.

Last edited by jmkupka; Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 09:28am.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Definition of a Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
8-M-4 On a force out attempt from the foul side of 1st base the defense and the batter-runner may use either the white or contrasting color portion of the base.
What is the definition of a Force ? Is the BR forced to go to 1B by definition ? I agree with your call with using the whole base with a ball from foul territory. What I am looking for is something that I have seen and listened to many people and Umpires that have many interpretations of what is a force ? Please no hate mail just help...

Last edited by xtremeump; Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 11:16am.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

The question (the OP) will not drive any real umpire crazy. In all rulesets, on a play from foul ground, the base is just one big base.

The rule stated? Maybe - given that all real umpires know that there's no such thing as a force at first base. Semantics, yes... and in the bigger scheme of things, really unimportant semantics. But true nonetheless.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The question (the OP) will not drive any real umpire crazy. In all rulesets, on a play from foul ground, the base is just one big base.

The rule stated? Maybe - given that all real umpires know that there's no such thing as a force at first base. Semantics, yes... and in the bigger scheme of things, really unimportant semantics. But true nonetheless.
That is what I wanted to say, you have more time on this forum, and much better Umpire language than I could put in words on a key board. Perfect responce thank you.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Hard liner skips off F3's mitt toward 1B coach's box (fair ball)... F3 retrieves it, and easily wins the footrace to the bag (by at least 3 steps), with both F3 and BR hitting orange only.
I have safe, off the bag.
Did I tank this basic call?
This is the simple and correct answer:

Anytime the play on the BR is coming from foul territory on the right side, either player may use either half of the double base.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
This is the simple and correct answer:

Anytime the play on the BR is coming from foul territory on the right side, either player may use either half of the double base.
I now know it is official, Irish said so. My question to you sir "coming from foul territory on the right side"
Sir Irish what does that mean sir ?
I know this is going to be called off topic, but you opened the door. A bad throw from F6 that pulls F3 off the bag is the same call One Bag.
D3K F2 can throw to F3 to the whole bag same call one bag.
Old Thu Jun 27, 2013, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeump View Post
I now know it is official, Irish said so. My question to you sir "coming from foul territory on the right side"
Sir Irish what does that mean sir ?
I know this is going to be called off topic, but you opened the door. A bad throw from F6 that pulls F3 off the bag is the same call One Bag.
D3K F2 can throw to F3 to the whole bag same call one bag.
You are right, it is off topic, and I didn't open any door. I was answering the question cited and, really, someone needs to explain what foul territory on the right side is?

But the answer to your question, strictly going by what you have offered is, no.