View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I agree completely but they put this specific scenario in both rule books. Can't for the life of me see how an umpire would let this happen. Probably put in just in case. Dave
First of all this is something that rarely happens, so having an umpire get it wrong rulewise doesn't seem like it would be that unexpected.
But the way I've done it I can imagine following my protocol and still getting it wrong. I walk over the coach and scorebook, ask the scorekeeper to tell me who will come up last in the inning, ask her to verify that the batter coming up is the one who hits right after her and we send that girl out to base. Generally the scorekeeper is on the other side of the fence and so I can't see the book well enough to figure out for myself if she's right. If she has the wrong batter due up, she could very well give me the wrong runner and I'd take her out to base.
Maybe the last out of the last inning was a caught stealing and she sends me the previous batter as my runner. If that girl stole third and then the batter popped out and then we got a batting out of order appeal, in resolving that I think I would send the girl who popped out down to third and not feel like I had messed it up.
What say you?