The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Pitch

PU called Tennessee catcher for stepping out of the CB prior to the pitcher delivering the ball.

It was a pitch-out for an intentional walk to set up a force out, but the IP allowed the walk, but also moved the runner to 3B taking away the force at any base.

I want to see a replay because I don't think she was completely outside the box.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the replays they showed on TV and it looked like her foot was on the outside edge of the line.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I saw the replays they showed on TV and it looked like her foot was on the outside edge of the line.
That's what I thought. I assume the NCAA handles lines to the CB the same as others, on the line equals in the box, circle, etc.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

I would not bet my life that no portion of her foot was on the line at the time of the pitch. No chance in hell that I am calling that.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
That's what I thought. I assume the NCAA handles lines to the CB the same as others, on the line equals in the box, circle, etc.
HP has good look down at the line, cant believe he's looking for the call!
Not a great look on replay angle.
Whats up with the communication device HP was using under the back stop mats? Was it to notify the press box?
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
HP has good look down at the line, cant believe he's looking for the call!
Not a great look on replay angle.
Whats up with the communication device HP was using under the back stop mats? Was it to notify the press box?
Assuming you are referring to the ball return box (not in use for this tournament) over the umpires right shoulder, it is a phone to the press box. Used to be a princess phone, don't know if they have updated recently.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
NCAA rule 6.5.2 states The catcher must be within the catcher's box from the time the pitcher steps on the pitcher's plate until the pitch is released. No part of the catcher's feet may be outside the lines until the pitch is released. Effect - illegal pitch. I don't care what camera angle anyone uses, the catcher's foot was clearly at least partly out of the box. Good call. I had this myself a couple of years ago and ruled the same.
Dave

Last edited by shipwreck; Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 09:56pm.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
NCAA rule 6.5.2 states The catcher must be within the catcher's box from the time the pitcher steps on the pitcher's plate until the pitch is released. No part of the catcher's feet may be outside the lines until the pitch is released. Effect - illegal pitch. So if the camera showed correctly, good call. I had this myself a couple of years ago and ruled the same.
Dave
You know what is humorous, ASA makes the same note for the SP games, but not the FP game. Go figure.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
That is funny.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2013, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Yep,
I assumed foot had to be outside the line.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Personally, IMO, the umpire was picking a nit.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
NCAA rule 6.5.2 states The catcher must be within the catcher's box from the time the pitcher steps on the pitcher's plate until the pitch is released. No part of the catcher's feet may be outside the lines until the pitch is released. Effect - illegal pitch. I don't care what camera angle anyone uses, the catcher's foot was clearly at least partly out of the box. Good call. I had this myself a couple of years ago and ruled the same.
Dave
So, the rule is like batter's box, entire foot must be inside the lines; although OOO.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
So, the rule is like batter's box, entire foot must be inside the lines; although OOO.
More specifically, it's like the rule about where the feet must be before the pitch (inside or touching the lines, but nothing touching outside), although not where it must be when the ball is hit (touching the lines, MAY be touching outside).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Related question...

Speaking ASA (& PONY if anybody's out there), Catcher may set up anywhere as long as they are in the catcher's box, but are they allowed to be standing straight up, ala MLB?
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
More specifically, it's like the rule about where the feet must be before the pitch (inside or touching the lines, but nothing touching outside), although not where it must be when the ball is hit (touching the lines, MAY be touching outside).
That is of course what I meant, without elucidating any further on the analogy.