The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

ASA ball on batter

a ball on the batter should be called when the catcher fails to return the ball directly to the pitcher as required.....no runners on base, the catcher accidently overthrows the pitcher when returning a pitched ball. the shortstop chases the errant throw and picks it up behind second base and returns it to the pitcher......do you call a ball on the batter for this?
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grounder View Post
a ball on the batter should be called when the catcher fails to return the ball directly to the pitcher as required.....no runners on base, the catcher accidently overthrows the pitcher when returning a pitched ball. the shortstop chases the errant throw and picks it up behind second base and returns it to the pitcher......do you call a ball on the batter for this?
No
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

thank you
Old Sat Jun 01, 2013, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grounder View Post
Not a NCAA ump, but there is no way I would call this, unless I was 100% sure it was intentionally being done.

If it is simply an overthrow, I have nothing. If I know a team is warming up a new pitcher, and all of the sudden the ball is thrown on the fly to the CF, then something is amiss. If it happens more than once, something's amiss.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

A variation on this question that came up this weekend.

No runners, 3-1 count on the batter, pitch is swung at and missed, F2 does not catch the ball, batter takes off for first (thinking U3K), F2 retrieves ball and throws to first.

BU kills the play and awards Ball 4 to the batter for F2 failing to return the ball directly to the pitcher. His reasoning was that there was no play at first, so the ball shouldn't have been thrown there.

My thought is that there is no way that I am rewarding that batter that ran when she shouldn't have.

Thoughts?
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

No runners, 3-1 count on the batter, pitch is swung at and missed, F2 does not catch the ball, batter takes off for first (thinking U3K), F2 retrieves ball and throws to first.

BU kills the play and awards Ball 4 to the batter for F2 failing to return the ball directly to the pitcher. His reasoning was that there was no play at first, so the ball shouldn't have been thrown there.

My thought is that there is no way that I am rewarding that batter that ran when she shouldn't have.

Thoughts?
Possibly technically correct, mistakes not being one of the listed exceptions; but certainly not in the intent.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
The BU is an idiot. PU not far behind for allowing it to occur. Hey, you asked for my thoughts and that is the first thing that came to mind.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The BU is an idiot. PU not far behind for allowing it to occur. Hey, you asked for my thoughts and that is the first thing that came to mind.
You forgot to apologize to all idiots for sullying their reputation by being associated with this guy.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 03:24pm.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 05:19am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:

Thoughts?
OOO.

Maybe he should've given the batter a warning for not keeping one foot in the batter's box, too, huh?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

The next time I make this call will be the first.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The next time I make this call will be the first.
I have never had to make it and have seen it called exactly twice. Once in club ball at the Louisville tournament in CO and once in a college game in Georgia.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I have never had to make it and have seen it called exactly twice. Once in club ball at the Louisville tournament in CO and once in a college game in Georgia.
That is definitely a problem. NCAA rules don't award a ball when the catcher throws to 1st if the batter runs when not entitled to. 10.16 Exception 6
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
That is definitely a problem. NCAA rules don't award a ball when the catcher throws to 1st if the batter runs when not entitled to. 10.16 Exception 6
The original post was in regard to an overthrow of the pitcher into center field. Later a comment was brought up about a ball that was awarded when a runner mistakenly ran to 1st.

My comment was in regard to the call in general when the catcher throws the ball to anyone other than the pitcher. I have never had to make the call and have seen it made twice. Both times it was the correct call.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I, too, have seen it called once or twice. In both cases, the pitch was strike two with no runners on base. The catcher mistakenly thought it was strike 3 for a strike out and proceeded to throw the ball "around the horn".

This would be a proper application of the rule.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I, too, have seen it called once or twice. In both cases, the pitch was strike two with no runners on base. The catcher mistakenly thought it was strike 3 for a strike out and proceeded to throw the ball "around the horn".

This would be a proper application of the rule.
Umpires need to use some common sense here. Unless you are dealing with a Rube Baker, I'm not making that call unless it delays the game.