The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

How much time is considered reasonable?

Yesterday I had the following two situations in a JV game.

First, during the top of the first inning the pitcher takes a hard line shot off the knee which bounces to F5 who has no player. As soon as I see no playing action I stop play. The coach comes out to tend to the injured player.

After a couple minutes the pitcher is able to stand up and walk it off. I give her a couple practice pitches to make sure she is able to pitch after the injury. The trainer is called from the baseball field but does not arrive until after the end of the half inning. We start the next half inning with a leadoff hit. When b2 should be up she isnt available. The trainer has arrived and is evaluating the pitcher/b2. How long do other umpires think is reasonable to wait for treatment before declaring the batter out (team had no subs)?

It took about a minute to finish treatment and for her to get ready to bat.

The treatment is being given by the host school training to a visiting team player.

The second situation was batter-runner who washit with a thrown ball thatcut her finger. She was out on the play. As her team comes out for thenext inning, no catcher appears. The catcher has been the cut player. How long is reasonable to allow treatment.

As far as I can tell rule 3-3-10 applies in the second situation. I dont see anything in the rules regarding a non-bleeding injury but how should it be handled. Right or wrong I allowed the injured players both a couple minutes to become ready to play instead of invoking 7-4-1 and declaring the batter out.

Last edited by chapmaja; Tue May 14, 2013 at 12:18pm.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Yesterday I had the following two situations in a JV game.

First, during the top of the first inning the pitcher takes a hard line shot off the knee which bounces to F5 who has no player. As soon as I see no playing action I stop play. The coach comes out to tend to the injured player.

After a couple minutes the pitcher is able to stand up and walk it off. I give her a couple practice pitches to make sure she is able to pitch after the injury. The trainer is called from the baseball field but does not arrive until after the end of the half inning. We start the next half inning with a leadoff hit. When b2 should be up she isnt available. The trainer has arrived and is evaluating the pitcher/b2. How long do other umpires think is reasonable to wait for treatment before declaring the batter out (team had no subs)?

It took about a minute to finish treatment and for her to get ready to bat.

The treatment is being given by the host school training to a visiting team player.

The second situation was batter-runner who washit with a thrown ball thatcut her finger. She was out on the play. As her team comes out for thenext inning, no catcher appears. The catcher has been the cut player. How long is reasonable to allow treatment.

As far as I can tell rule 3-3-10 applies in the second situation. I dont see anything in the rules regarding a non-bleeding injury but how should it be handled. Right or wrong I allowed the injured players both a couple minutes to become ready to play instead of invoking 7-4-1 and declaring the batter out.
Looks ok.
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

I see no issues with the way you handled this.

You asked how long though. I'm not sure I'd invoke 7-4-1 at all here. After all, they aren't playing shorthanded, officially. They had 9 players to start the game. And since you can't really eject the player simply for being hurt, you don't really have a hole in the lineup until the coach decides he does.

If it got really protracted, and the coach refused to send up a batter or acknowledge he needed to pull his player, I think your real recourse here is 7-3-1 (of course, you have to do it 3 times). Then, if they come out for defense with 9 players you have no issue. If they come out with 8, then the coach has pulled the player, and you can use 7-4-1 the next time around if you have to.

I'd be reluctant to force the coach into pulling the player though - as it's possible she could play given a little more time.

That said - in any NORMAL situation, delaying as you did makes the most sense.

West Houston Mike