The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Appeal, then Protest, then Ejection

Had a rough game tonight. ASA rules, Co-Ed game. Here's what happened:

Preface- Bob is a base coach for this team. He doesn't play.

Bottom 3rd or 4th inning, there was a bang-bang play at first. Bob’s team was at bat, 2 outs. Batter hits the ball, 1st baseman catches it off a small hop, runs to first. From my perspective, she was going for the tag, but missed the tag. I call the batter-runner safe. The defensive coach appeals my call, stating that she stepped on the bag in the process before the batter-runner got to first. Recalling the play, he was correct, and I grant the appeal and call the batter-runner out.

Here’s where Bob comes unglued. He comes up to me and says “But you called him safe! You can’t let the other team make a call for you! Never in 35 years have I seen such a thing” I told him that they appealed my call, and due to my mistake, I overturned it I chalked it up as a correctable error. I did see her tag the base. 100% wrong call on my part. He was being huffy, so I told him that if he wanted to remain in the game, he had better head to his dugout.

That was out 3, the visiting team bats, and then at the bottom of the next inning, Bob, on his way to 1st base, says, “I am filing a protest of this game.” I asked, “So you want to protest this game?” and he says, “Yep.” I let the other coach know the game was being played under protest, and explained what that meant.

Fast forward to the end of the game, Bob’s team ended up winning, therefore the protest is nullified. I tell each team good job, and to have a good night, and the visiting coach tells me good game. Bob hears this, looks at me and begins shaking his head in a “not true” fashion. He comes up to me and says “Just so you know, you have lost all of my respect for changing your call. That’s the integrity of the game and you ruined it. I have never in 15 years of playing softball in Clive protested a call and that you (me) should be ashamed to call yourself an umpire.” At this point I told him , “Bob, sorry you feel that way, but you are out of here. You are to leave the field immediately.”

Yep. I messed up my first call. I get that. My bad. Did I let him go too far before tossing him? What do you all think?
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Slowpitch = adult t-ball
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM. View Post

That was out 3, the visiting team bats, and then at the bottom of the next inning, Bob, on his way to 1st base, says, “I am filing a protest of this game.” I asked, “So you want to protest this game?” and he says, “Yep.” I let the other coach know the game was being played under protest, and explained what that meant.
Why? That is not a valid protest, so why bother telling the other coach anything.

Quote:
Fast forward to the end of the game, Bob’s team ended up winning, therefore the protest is nullified. I tell each team good job, and to have a good night, and the visiting coach tells me good game. Bob hears this, looks at me and begins shaking his head in a “not true” fashion. He comes up to me and says “Just so you know, you have lost all of my respect for changing your call. That’s the integrity of the game and you ruined it. I have never in 15 years of playing softball in Clive protested a call and that you (me) should be ashamed to call yourself an umpire.” At this point I told him , “Bob, sorry you feel that way, but you are out of here. You are to leave the field immediately.”

Yep. I messed up my first call. I get that. My bad. Did I let him go too far before tossing him? What do you all think?
BFD. If you need to say something, tell Bob to go **** himself. His opinion is not worth the time or effort. Personally, when the game is over, I get off the field and say absolutely nothing to anyone other than a partner.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed May 22, 2013 at 11:04pm.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

To protest a game it must be protested before the next pitch and it would have to be a misapplication of a rule. Not that the coach does not like the call.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

1. Another example of why umpires should just keep their mouths shut and walk off the field at the end of the game. Drop the game balls and get the hell out of there. No coach gives a crap if the umpire thinks it was a good game. From my experience, 90% of the umpire who say, "Good game coach" do so only in hopes that the coach will say something similar back to the umpire. I guess that makes the umpire feel good. I know when I have a good game. I know when I make a mistake. I don't need a coaches approval or confirmation after the game. And if you are going to make a comment like that, you better expect to get both sides of a response. You certainly got that here.

2. Now, by hanging out (even momentarily) and engaging in unnecessary/improper conversation after the game, when you should have been half way to the parking lot, you end up with a post-game ejection. It certainly does not make what the coach did correct, but you have to assume some responsibility for not following proper protocol.

3. This is not an appeal.

4. This is not a valid protest. If this was handled according to the rules, maybe you wouldn't have gotten to points 1 & 2.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 07:55am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Had a rough game tonight. ASA rules, Co-Ed game.
That's your first mistake.

Quote:
Batter hits the ball, 1st baseman catches it off a small hop, runs to first. From my perspective, she was going for the tag, but missed the tag. I call the batter-runner safe. The defensive coach appeals my call, stating that she stepped on the bag in the process before the batter-runner got to first. Recalling the play, he was correct, and I grant the appeal and call the batter-runner out.
I'll be honest with you, I have a hard time understanding how you can recall that the first baseman stepped on the bag initially, particularly if you're focused on the tag attempt. I have seen umpires see a base touch, call an Out, then be reminded by the offense that there was no force. That's a bit more believable. Your situation is the exact opposite. You presumably saw a base touch but you ignored it. That's certainly one that will no doubt start a sh!tstorm. Heck, you might've been better off saying you never saw the touch of the bag.

Quote:
Here’s where Bob comes unglued.
Frankly, I don't blame him one bit. It's time to consume massive amounts of a certain species of black bird.

Quote:
I told him that they appealed my call...
Technically, as others have said, this is not an "appeal" by rule. What the defense did was simply question your call and point out what happened. Knowledgeable coaches (not saying Bob is one) will key on these kinds of umpire mistakes and make the umpire look even worse.

Quote:
...and due to my mistake, I overturned it I chalked it up as a correctable error. I did see her tag the base. 100% wrong call on my part. He was being huffy, so I told him that if he wanted to remain in the game, he had better head to his dugout.
Depending on what "huffy" means, you probably shouldn't have said what you said. You screwed up, everyone knows it, and bringing up a possible ejection just adds fuel to the fire. Remember that black bird I mentioned earlier? You probably should have said something like, "Coach, I hear you, but eventually I got it right, so let's just play ball."

Quote:
That was out 3, the visiting team bats, and then at the bottom of the next inning, Bob, on his way to 1st base, says, “I am filing a protest of this game.” I asked, “So you want to protest this game?”
Confrontational again, IMHO. He already said he wanted to protest. You should have known that his protest isn't valid. I would have said, "Coach, it's too late to protest," but if he insisted on it, I would have responded, "Okay," and let the game continue, knowing that his protest would be thrown out when my report to my assignor lets her know that he filed the protest improperly.

Quote:
Agree with others that none of this should have happened. The game is over, so why stick around, especially when you should suspect that one coach is still mad as hell? Make a beeline for your car (I assume there wasn't another game you were working) and leave.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Thu May 23, 2013 at 09:09am.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all of the feedback! I will use it to become a better umpire!
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for all of the feedback! I will use it to become a better umpire!
Bill,

Let me be a little more civil about Bob. We have all encountered a Bob. Bob is your friend, your biggest supporter and will tell you how he wishes more umpires were like you.

And then he doesn't get exactly what he wants and tries to shame you into having pity on him and his team. He props himself up in front of others by telling them how you must be having a bad day or how you have an ego greater than the teams playing the game.

And he will be like that right up until the Bob in the other dugout feels slighted and it is your fault his boys are going home losers, then he is once again your closest and personal buddy. Or the next season begins and the game starts all over.

Do not let the Bobs dictate your game or willingness to learn and work by the rules or mechanics. Disappointing Bob should be the last thing on any umpire's mind, before, during or after the game.

Good luck.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I really like this. This is a classic and gonna be my all-time favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If you need to say something, tell Bob to go **** himself.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Me too, just surprised it's the 2nd time this week Irish has suggested including the f-bomb in my interactions with a coach.

And while the opportunity has never presented itself, I cannot wait to tell a coach, or a DD's father, to get the f*** out of my locker room
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Just recently on a check swing, coach in the dugout goes ballistic and screams, "you weren't even watching". I turn to sweep the plate and tell the coach that is enuff. I look over my shoulder, and my partner approaches the coach and says shut your f****ing mouth. Then he ejects him.

Afterwards, they hug and make up. Instant classic.

I think my partner got it backwards tho. I woulda ejected first, then told him to go f*** himself after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Me too, just surprised it's the 2nd time this week Irish has suggested including the f-bomb in my interactions with a coach.

And while the opportunity has never presented itself, I cannot wait to tell a coach, or a DD's father, to get the f*** out of my locker room
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

I do not believe in profanity, and consider it a sign of ignorance and weak character for those who do.

I have never thrown a player out of a game for "cursing" and never will.
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

You had me at "BFD"

Quote:
I do not believe in profanity, and consider it a sign of ignorance and weak character for those who do.

Old Fri May 24, 2013, 07:42am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I dunno. I'm pretty tolerant myself, but if a player said, "F##k you, Blue!" to me, I'm sure I'd throw my shoulder out of socket.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I dunno. I'm pretty tolerant myself, but if a player said, "F##k you, Blue!" to me, I'm sure I'd throw my shoulder out of socket.
Sure ... but would the ejection be for the F bomb, or for the rest? Would you not also eject for "screw you, Blue!"?

West Houston Mike