The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun May 05, 2013, 11:51pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,729
Jackets

Is it really accepted in softball for one base umpire to wear a jacket and another to be in short sleeves?

Caught a few moments of LSU/Georgia and only U3 is wearing a jacket. The PU and U1 are in short sleeves. Strange...at least to this baseball guy.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 12:02am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 503
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Is it really accepted in softball for one base umpire to wear a jacket and another to be in short sleeves?

Caught a few moments of LSU/Georgia and only U3 is wearing a jacket. The PU and U1 are in short sleeves. Strange...at least to this baseball guy.
In my high school games I keep my jacket on while my partner takes his off, or vice versa, pretty frequently. As for college, I think the CCA manual says any umpire can wear a jacket even if the others don't.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 03:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Is it really accepted in softball for one base umpire to wear a jacket and another to be in short sleeves?

Caught a few moments of LSU/Georgia and only U3 is wearing a jacket. The PU and U1 are in short sleeves. Strange...at least to this baseball guy.
Any different than one umpire wearing sunglasses...and another not?

One player wearing sleaves and another not??
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 04:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Is it really accepted in softball for one base umpire to wear a jacket and another to be in short sleeves?

Caught a few moments of LSU/Georgia and only U3 is wearing a jacket. The PU and U1 are in short sleeves. Strange...at least to this baseball guy.
It is strange, but in NCAA softball permissible. It's in the book under Rule 15...."individual umpires may chose not to wear a jacket."

Don't agree with it, surprised that you would see a crew working in a high profile DI conference like the SEC doing it, but the book (and I assume the conference coordinator) say it's OK.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 06:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
It is strange, but in NCAA softball permissible. It's in the book under Rule 15...."individual umpires may chose not to wear a jacket."

Don't agree with it, surprised that you would see a crew working in a high profile DI conference like the SEC doing it, but the book (and I assume the conference coordinator) say it's OK.
Baseball umpires do it every night on TV. Some wear long sleeves, others short sleeves. Some wear jackets, some long sleeves.

What is wrong with accommodating one umpire who may be colder/warmer than another?

There's a difference between being uniform and being a clone.
__________________
Kill the Clones. Let God sort them out.
No one likes an OOJ (Over-officious jerk).
Realistic officiating does the sport good.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 06:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Baseball umpires do it every night on TV. Some wear long sleeves, others short sleeves. Some wear jackets, some long sleeves.
Assuming you are referring to MLB, the plate umpire's uniform often differs from his partners' uniforms on the bases. The base umpires are almost always dressed alike.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 09:24am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 View Post
Assuming you are referring to MLB, the plate umpire's uniform often differs from his partners' uniforms on the bases. The base umpires are almost always dressed alike.
In a 2-person crew, it's fine in baseball, although the plate guy tends to always be less dressed than the base umpire. If the plate guy insists on wearing a jacket, I'd never wear a shirt -- I'd be in a jacket, as well.

With multiple base umpires, those base umpires would always be in jacket together or in short sleeves together. The plate umpire could choose to wear a shirt since it's hotter work back there.

(And sunglasses are a red herring, really. Nobody I know considers those to be part of a uniform the way jackets and shirts are.)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Baseball umpires do it every night on TV. Some wear long sleeves, others short sleeves. Some wear jackets, some long sleeves.

What is wrong with accommodating one umpire who may be colder/warmer than another?

There's a difference between being uniform and being a clone.
I'm just expressing my personal opinion on this one particular topic.

Why is it that whenever someone posts a point of view different than yours you feel the need to label them a clone?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
I'm just expressing my personal opinion on this one particular topic.

Why is it that whenever someone posts a point of view different than yours you feel the need to label them a clone?
Because your commentary is one that I would expect from a clone. I can't see anyone other than a clone would care, let alone address it. That's just my personal opinion.
__________________
Kill the Clones. Let God sort them out.
No one likes an OOJ (Over-officious jerk).
Realistic officiating does the sport good.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 01:58am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,729
Quite frankly, the jackets were the least troubling aspect of the game to me. Not really troubling at all -- if that's acceptable in softball, then it is. Have at it.

However, I can't remember one call on a tag play the entire game (at least the half I watched) where a base umpire came set for the play. There was one steal of second where the ball got dropped where the umpire was still in mid-run when the ball, fielder, and runner came together.

Not sure about the softball world, but this would be a serious ding in NCAA baseball, where a major point of emphasis this year is coming completely set for all plays.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 06:59am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
However, I can't remember one call on a tag play the entire game (at least the half I watched) where a base umpire came set for the play. There was one steal of second where the ball got dropped where the umpire was still in mid-run when the ball, fielder, and runner came together.

Not sure about the softball world, but this would be a serious ding in NCAA baseball, where a major point of emphasis this year is coming completely set for all plays.
This is a very valid point. I noticed it myself while watching the game. Umpires should be set for the play. Set - angle - distance. While it is important that the umpire adjust as needed, they shouldn't be on the move right when the play occurs. That distorts the image of the play. I also don't understand being set for the play, then moving aggressively two or three steps to make the call. That gives the impression that you weren't set when you actually were.

For what it's worth, I don't find it necessary to take 4 steps up the third base line when asking for help on a checked swing. It looks a bit ridiculous and delays the call unnecessarily. Mask off - one step - point - "Did she swing?" done.
__________________
Kill the Clones. Let God sort them out.
No one likes an OOJ (Over-officious jerk).
Realistic officiating does the sport good.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HS jackets Rich Basketball 4 Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:44am
ASA Jackets... SF Softball 7 Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:39pm
nba jackets Snake~eyes Basketball 10 Thu Mar 24, 2005 02:06pm
Jackets thumpferee Baseball 5 Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:09am
Jackets paulis Basketball 22 Wed Jan 30, 2002 03:55pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1