The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

How come we are so uptight about matching jackets? In my association, they are switching from blue to black. By next year, only black allowed. New guys as well as some of the rest of us have purchased the black ones while some are getting one more year out of their blues. But before the game some refs will say: "You have a black jacket and I lhave blue so we better go out there without jackets altogether." This a big deal for you? So people notice and/or care if the officials are wearing different jackets?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

It's the image you present. If it's a higher level game, game admin, coaches, players and fans notice these things. If you both look sharp (not only jackets; non-wrinkled uniform, polished shoes, shaven, etc...) you will present a professional image that everyone will respect.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, it is a big deal. Kansas went to black about 5 years ago. We went through the same thing. Before you buy, you might want to see if everyone uses CCA or NF jackets. I still carry both NF and CCA. Its split about half and half for HS officials.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb CCA Jackets

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Yes, it is a big deal. Kansas went to black about 5 years ago. We went through the same thing. Before you buy, you might want to see if everyone uses CCA or NF jackets. I still carry both NF and CCA. Its split about half and half for HS officials.
CCA Jackets should not be worn at all during HS contest. They are not for that level. And I think it is condensending to the players, coaches and fans to wear them. I have both too, but you do not where them unless you are doing a college game.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

I agree in part with JRutledge. If i am doing a HS game and one partner has NF jacket and one partner has a CCA jacket, then i am using my NF(like) jacket. I say NF jacket for description only. Other jackets are simular but are not NF jackets with the NF logo. I don't have a problem if all three officials wear CCA. Is there any official rule or directive from the NF concerning the type of jacket we wear?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 05:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not for HS, but no clear rule.

Quote:
I agree in part with JRutledge. If i am doing a HS game and one partner has NF jacket and one partner has a CCA jacket, then i am using my NF(like) jacket. I say NF jacket for description only. Other jackets are simular but are not NF jackets with the NF logo. I don't have a problem if all three officials wear CCA. Is there any official rule or directive from the NF concerning the type of jacket we wear?
There might not be a rule, but I think the fact that CCA Jackets are just that, you should not where them in HS games. And I know some assignors that go crazy if officials are wearing those CCA Jackets. I think you have to do what your people tell you to do.

But I will say this, I have seen several catalogs that say under the CCA Jacket picture, "THIS JACKET IS NOT FOR HIGH SCHOOL GAMES."

Peace
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Sahara jackets suck!

Just as a note - the CCA jackets are sh!t. Sorry, but I don't know of a better word to use. We use the same black Sahara jacket in NC that the CCA uses. The jacket is cheaply made, poorly tailored and collects everything that's airborne. The linings rip easily and there's no elastic in the waist. I bet this jacket costs about $10 wholesale and about $3 to make. Then we have to pay $45 for it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

No argument from me BktBallRef. Sahara-? Is this just the style name?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

I am at a loss for the need of jackets to begin with. You esentially where them for the 15 minutes prior to the game and that's it. Is it tradition that we where them? Or is a different rationale behind it.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Now SOWB_Ref, everyone has the answer to that question. I bet you could even ask a 10yr old kid. He would tell you its cold.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

But, but, but.... I live in sunny, warm Washington. It never gets cold here (looking out the window and seeing snow on the ground)
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No argument from me BktBallRef. Sahara-? Is this just the style name?
Yep, Sahara is the manufacturer.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I can tell you that when you move from state to state you will need to purchase a new jacket. I had to buy one with the TASO logo on it to ref in Texas. My solid black jacket was deemed inappropriate because it did not match what everyone else had.

As far as why we wear one, I don't know. I reffed three years before purchasing one. I didn't work a varsity contest in those years either. What I don't get is when you do two contest, we go back to the locker room and put that dumb jacket on again. At this point I am hot and sweaty and I would rather just leave my jacket back in the locker room but people around here insist on putting it back on before the big Boys Varsity game.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Black jacket, and as far as matching, my partner does not have impecable (?) taste, so he does not wear one. Mine has the wiaa logo the left side.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

My association, wears the black jacket with the association's logo on the left chest. Logo shows a cardnial head slightly over the basketball and CARDINAL in a curve over the ball/head. The logo looks pretty neat. Our jackets are made by a company in NJ (can't remember the name) and I think they are $42.00. The more recently purchased jackets (last couple of years) have snap fronts and mine (about 5 years old) has a zipper.

I agree with the post earlier about putting it back on when you are hot and sweaty. I sometimes do a F/JV doubleheader and I don't like to put it back on.