Thread: Jackets
View Single Post
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
However, I can't remember one call on a tag play the entire game (at least the half I watched) where a base umpire came set for the play. There was one steal of second where the ball got dropped where the umpire was still in mid-run when the ball, fielder, and runner came together.

Not sure about the softball world, but this would be a serious ding in NCAA baseball, where a major point of emphasis this year is coming completely set for all plays.
This is a very valid point. I noticed it myself while watching the game. Umpires should be set for the play. Set - angle - distance. While it is important that the umpire adjust as needed, they shouldn't be on the move right when the play occurs. That distorts the image of the play. I also don't understand being set for the play, then moving aggressively two or three steps to make the call. That gives the impression that you weren't set when you actually were.

For what it's worth, I don't find it necessary to take 4 steps up the third base line when asking for help on a checked swing. It looks a bit ridiculous and delays the call unnecessarily. Mask off - one step - point - "Did she swing?" done.