The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

1) I worked with a 2 seam cap guy this weekend.

2) Speaking of things "others" say that get under one's skin..... where the heck did "MY TIME" come from?
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
where the heck did "MY TIME" come from?
From Mr. Hand. Everyone knows that.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
One of my pet peeves is home plate being referred to the "dish" I have had many partners ask me if I wanted to work the dish the first or second game. The only dish I work is at dinner time. Dave
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
One of my pet peeves is home plate being referred to the "dish" I have had many partners ask me if I wanted to work the dish the first or second game. The only dish I work is at dinner time. Dave
Odd. "plate" doesn't bother you but "dish" does? They both evolve from the same place. "Dish" has been around since before any of us were born. And I'm sure you work plates at dinner time too.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:35pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Geez, y'all really ought to lay off the caffeine.

I have no problem with umpires referring to the plate as "dish", indicators as "clickers", going to the outfield as "chasing", and taking responsibility for third base as "Going to Three".

Heck, I can even tolerate (much to my baseball counterparts) our southpaw umpires who signal outs with their left hand.

What I do have a problem with is unshined shoes, salt-crusted caps, and laziness.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Geez, y'all really ought to lay off the caffeine.

I have no problem with umpires referring to the plate as "dish", indicators as "clickers", going to the outfield as "chasing", and taking responsibility for third base as "Going to Three".

Heck, I can even tolerate (much to my baseball counterparts) our southpaw umpires who signal outs with their left hand.

What I do have a problem with is unshined shoes, salt-crusted caps, and laziness.
How do you're baseball buddies feel about vebalizing DEAD BALL?
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 02:25pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
How do you're baseball buddies feel about vebalizing DEAD BALL?
About the same as when I verbalize "Strike" while I'm down, and then come up with the mechanic.

About the same as when I verbalize "Obstruction" and hold my left arm out on catcher's interference.

About the same as when I verbalize "Illegal Pitch" on a balk.

About the same as when...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And, Yes, I do use the word "Offer". Have been for as long as I can remember, and until I read your post, I never heard of anyone saying anything negative about it. True, it's not in a rule book or manual. But what is in a rule book is "Did they go?" and I feel that makes less sense. I simply point and say, "She offered." No evaluator or assignor has ever told me to lose the word.
I don't know why people get so upset at using they as opposed to he or she or him or her as it is quite acceptable. From Merriam-Webster:

The use of they, their, them, and themselves as pronouns of indefinite gender and indefinite number is well established in speech and writing, even in literary and formal contexts. This gives you the option of using the plural pronouns where you think they sound best, and of using the singular pronouns (as he, she, he or she, and their inflected forms) where you think they sound best.

Quote:
For me, I don't get too hung up on anything that adds a little--just a little--individuality to the craft. If my partner says, "Swing" or "Yes" or "She went" or whatever, I honestly could care less.
Really, how much less could you care?

Quote:
I'm more concerned that my partner saw the attempt and acknowledged it accordingly with the appropriate physical mechanic. Maybe it's the baseball umpire in me, but I don't see why we all have to look and sound like automatons out there.
I've never been to any clinic or school where someone was corrected about wording unless it was something inappropriate or not fitting the need. Now, when you start having umpires flapping THEIR arms or tapping THEIR cap or make some other weird type of movements, you can appreciate a standard level of communications. You can also appreciate it when you walk on the field with someone from another part of the country, if not another country, and you can actually understand what they are saying or signaling.

Quote:
Now, I'm not suggesting we should all have our own unique Strike mechanic like you see in MLB. But when it comes to subtle hand signals to partners, variances in verbal calls, etc., how does that tarnish the quality of umpires out there? I'd rather have a partner who looks sharp, hustles, gets into the right position, and shows sound judgment. After he/she does all that, and then tops it off with "She's out" or "Out" or "HAAAAAAA!", no biggie.
Agree, though I think it is a bit more professional without the pronouns.

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing: I don't say "Full Count" and bump two fists together. And I threw away my two-seamer years ago.
I've never worn anything less than a six-stitch, even back in the 60s. Never liked the "beanies". Always thought they took away from a professional look, but that's just me. And the count is always 3-2, not full.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Who decided that umpires shouldn't say "full count?" It's descriptive. It's short. Everyone knows what it means. Why did it become a problem to say it? But for the fact that someone told you not to say "full count" when you were learning to umpire, would you ever have thought it would be inappropriate?

Along the same lines, why are clinicians so anal about using, "Two balls, two strikes" rather than allowing umpires to say "Two and two?" Who doesn't know what "two and two" means? I've heard a clinician "correct" an umpire asking, "What is 'two and two?'" "It's four!" NOT!

When you can't give even a little leeway in how you give the count, it isn't hard to figure out why people think that most umpires on TV look like robots.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

It's basically a matter of communication.
Consistancy in reporting the count lessens the chance for misunderstanding.

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Wed May 01, 2013 at 09:00am.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's basically a matter of communication.
Consistancy in reporting the count lessens the chance for misunderstanding.
Sorry, Hugo, but the next time a player or coach misunderstands what I'm saying when I say "full count, "two and two", or even "two two" will be the first.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 10:47am
Stirrer of the Pot

The formal "Three Balls, One Strike" verbal and mechanic is, IMHO, to keep everyone--players, coaches, scorekeepers, fans, concession stand workers--informed. But when I'm asked by the batter or catcher what the count is, I will always respond with either, "Three One", or even "Thirty One". Nobody has ever looked at me sideways.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 10:50am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I don't know why people get so upset at using they as opposed to he or she or him or her as it is quite acceptable. From Merriam-Webster:

The use of they, their, them, and themselves as pronouns of indefinite gender and indefinite number is well established in speech and writing, even in literary and formal contexts. This gives you the option of using the plural pronouns where you think they sound best, and of using the singular pronouns (as he, she, he or she, and their inflected forms) where you think they sound best.
As you mentioned in another thread, this is a case of dumbing things down that has become acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Now, when you start having umpires flapping THEIR arms or tapping THEIR cap or make some other weird type of movements, you can appreciate a standard level of communications. You can also appreciate it when you walk on the field with someone from another part of the country, if not another country, and you can actually understand what they are saying or signaling.
Perhaps. But a good pre-game with partners would remedy this.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As you mentioned in another thread, this is a case of dumbing things down that has become acceptable.
No argument, to a point. It is more a matter of convenience when I use it.

Quote:
Perhaps. But a good pre-game with partners would remedy this.
You pre-game all your signals? Want to know my pre-game? "everything by the book" does it.

Seriously though, I have walked onto fields with people I have never seen before and we are immediately speaking the same language which makes the game that much more enjoyable for all, including the teams.
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Who decided that umpires shouldn't say "full count?" It's descriptive. It's short. Everyone knows what it means. Why did it become a problem to say it? But for the fact that someone told you not to say "full count" when you were learning to umpire, would you ever have thought it would be inappropriate?
It isn't a problem as long as everyone understand what it means. Remember, not all games with all associations use 4-3. Retaining the 4-3 was one of the reasons the slow pitch rules don't change the required balls or strikes, but just add one to each side when the batter enters the box.

In some SP games, the count can actually be 3-3 where a courtesy foul is allowed. So which is full, 3-2 or 3-3? Is this rare? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean teams can get confused when they play in a different area and umpires are using different verbiage or the same verbiage to mean different things.

Quote:
Along the same lines, why are clinicians so anal about using, "Two balls, two strikes" rather than allowing umpires to say "Two and two?" Who doesn't know what "two and two" means? I've heard a clinician "correct" an umpire asking, "What is 'two and two?'" "It's four!" NOT!
It is anal, but what happens when you have an umpire who doesn't give a ball-strike count but a strike-ball count. Or gives the count properly, but uses the opposite hands to indicate the count?

I have seen this and not from rookie umpires. It should never be different, but apparently it is somewhere, sometime.

Quote:
When you can't give even a little leeway in how you give the count, it isn't hard to figure out why people think that most umpires on TV look like robots.
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me that.