The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

ASA Approved Bats?

ASA Bat Question:
We have many local leagues who’s players want to hit home runs. The leagues have started to submit to these player demands and are allowing any bat. Can an ASA Umpire officiate a local league (ASA or non-ASA) which elects to use any bats, including those listed on ASA website as “Banned”, and be covered by the ASA liability insurance if someone is injured?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Nope, and why in the world would you even think of exposing yourself to that liability?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Don't take my word for it, but from what I've heard from others on this board, yes, this should be all right. If both teams are registered ASA and the umpires are registered ASA as well, everyone's covered by Bollinger's Insurance.

However, it would probably be best to talk with your local ASA commissioner for verification. You may look his contact information up here:

Amateur Softball Association of America (ASA)

Also, it'd be best to verify this with Bollinger's, as I am not a Bollinger's representative. Their website is here:

Softball Insurance - BollingerASA.com

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2011, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

I just returned from Oklahoma City

We were told "you can use grenades for balls" and you're still covered. Bollingers will cover you.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig View Post
ASA Bat Question:
We have many local leagues who’s players want to hit home runs.
The leagues have started to submit to these player demands and are allowing any bat.
I'm shocked!

Quote:
Can an ASA Umpire officiate a local league (ASA or non-ASA) which elects to use any bats, including those listed on ASA website as “Banned”, and be covered by the ASA liability insurance if someone is injured?
To start, there is no such thing as a "banned" bat, only non-approved.

Secondly, yes, you are covered. But I believe it is preferred by Bollingers and other umpires that you not work those types of games. Why? Because even though you are covered, claims against that coverage will certainly cause an increase in the cost of the insurance to all umpires and, at some point, may cause that umpire/association to become uninsurable depending upon the cost to the underwriter of the policy.

Is that the worst-case scenario? Absolutely. However, just because we have insurance, doesn't mean using it should commonplace. As we have all seen over the past few years, claims against our insurance has caused an increase in the deductable and decrease in coverage. I fully expect ASA umpires to see an increase in registration costs next season to off-set the cost of insurance.

OTOH, if the league wants to become a primary insurer, hey, go for it.