The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

It is interesting to see the different points of view. A few years back, we knew that umpires would be working a lot of games at a National. They kept adding more teams and more fields, but there wasn't much time to get many more decent umpires. Knowing different preferences, we asked the umpires which rotation they preferred, whether it be one on and one off, two on and two off or plate-base-off. Enough preferred each of the rotations where we were able to accommodate most of them.

I had always preferred two on and one off. Once I suit up for the plate, I would rather just stay back there. To take everything off and jump on the field all sweaty after a 10 minute break isn't exactly refreshing. The sweat just bakes into you why standing on the bases.

An hour and a half time limit certainly helps when working two in a row behind the plate...
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:44am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Six games a 12 hour day is borderline absurd, but understandable. Six in a row is stealing money because I don't give a damn who you are, you are not mentally or physically able to give 100% for every play of every game. You may think you are, but you are not and your body will betray your mind when it goes into survival mode.

We've all been young and foolish and thought we were the Energizer Bunny out there. But if you get a video or 3rd party opinion, you may discover that you are not getting to where you need to be as easily as it was early on, if you are getting there at all.

We are there to umpire a game, not prove how tough we are to the world. Don't know how many times, whether playing or umpiring, that I've heard an umpire refer to pacing or saving himself because of the schedule that day.

I can understand emergency situations where someone goes down and the schedule needs to be adjusted, but the original schedule should never be that short on umpires.

Irish:

You are preaching to the choir. The real problem is that many guys in the Toledo area don't like the idea of a three umpire rotation because it means that they can't get in as many games and they want to make money.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
MTD, Jr., and I much prefer the PU/BU/off rotation. Here in NW Ohio we umpire in two different areas. The Toledo area and the Findlay area.

The Toledo area tournaments are either ASA or USSSA. The games are 1:25 long with 0:15 between games. Two umpires are assigned usually assigned on average six games in a row. It is next to impossible to use the PU/BU rotation and keep the games on schedule.

The Findlay area tournaments are ASA. The games are 1:30 long with 0:30 between games. A three umpire PU/BU/off rotation is used and the umpires much prefer this rotation.

MTD, Sr.
6 in a row????
Actually I've done it, but not because it was planned - and although I consider myself a pretty competent umpire normally, I'm not sure I can say the teams got my best towards the end.

and then I remeber (way back when I was the best umpire in the county, and a few years younger I did 9 (1:15) in a row.
Funny thing is, I was so new, that at the time I didn't think there was anything wrong with it AND I thought I was as good at the end as I was at the beginning....
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Tournament scheduling should be interesting this year. Back about three years ago, we had an assigner who was adamant that umpires should not work more than two consecutive games and no more than three or four in a day. His reasoning was the same as what's been expressed here (mental and physical fatigue, the quality of umpiring in later games, etc.).

Some guys bitched that they weren't getting enough games under his system of scheduling. But I think it worked well from the standpoint of the teams having fresher officials, which directly affects the games, plus a larger pool of umpires were getting experience, which in the long run would affect the quality of the umpiring as a whole.

Then we got a new assigner. Pretty much everything became "three umpires to a field, all day long, plate/base/off rotation".

The second assigner was an experiened umpire and he had to realize the pitfalls of working too many games in a day, especially in severe summer weather. My impression was that he went with this system simply because it was easier for him to make the schedule.

Why bother contacting, scheduling and confirming with, say, six umpires, when you can cover the same number of games and only have to deal with three umpires?

That assigner had enough after one year and yet another took over. I think that our group was getting desperate for someone to do this, as the person who took over seemed ill-equipped to handle the load. The new assigner continued the "three men to a field" type of scheduling. There was also a lot of miscommunication about assignments. Numerous times I received the wrong game times or field number. One week I even had an UIC call me to ask why I wasn't at my assigned field, when I had never been contacted about working the tournament!

That assigner had enough after one year and gave it up. Now, this year, the original assigner is taking it over again. I'm wondering how all the guys that loved working tons of games in one day are going to react if he goes back to his old way of doing things?

Last edited by BretMan; Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 09:42am.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

People who complain about not getting enough games, and I'm not referring to those who need X number to cover costs and some extra, are not the umpires I would want on my field as a player, coach, partner or UIC.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
We are there to umpire a game, not prove how tough we are to the world. Don't know how many times, whether playing or umpiring, that I've heard an umpire refer to pacing or saving himself because of the schedule that day.
I hear you ... but if I were to tell an assignor that I cannot work more than 4 games in a tourney, I'm simply not going to get called. Heck, sometimes if you say you can work Saturday but not Sunday, or vice versa, that's reason enough not to get called.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 12:54pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I hear you ... but if I were to tell an assignor that I cannot work more than 4 games in a tourney, I'm simply not going to get called. Heck, sometimes if you say you can work Saturday but not Sunday, or vice versa, that's reason enough not to get called.
This is what I was saying earlier.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 03:45pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The real problem is that many guys in the Toledo area don't like the idea of a three umpire rotation because it means that they can't get in as many games and they want to make money.
There are people who do this for the money??

Then they should focus on making themselves better so that they can work D1 NCAA games, and leave the 12U and 14U weekend tournaments to those of us who are out there to enjoy the challenge.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's fine, let 'em fill it with the greens. I can find other things to do instead of umpiring. I've been through all of this on both sides. The assignor has a choice, x number of good umpires who know their limitations and give the teams quality umpiring or guys who are looking for the paycheck and are most likely mediocre, or will be by the end of the day.

When the teams ask why I'm not working their tournament, I simply tell them the assignor didn't need me. Let them complain to the association.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And that would be reason enough for me to find a different assignor to work for. I have several summer tournament assignors that seem to like having me work their games - 1-on, 1-off with a max of 5, but hoping for no more than 4. Each of these assignors rcognize that an umpire working a game needs to be fresh enough to give each and every game the intensity and effort that it deserves.
Old Sat Apr 20, 2013, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I don't know that I would fault the UICs.

In my neighborhood, we wouldn't have enough umpires provide availability to do a one on, one off rotation. Then most of the ones that would provide availability would complain because they aren't getting enough games to make any money....
LIES!!! THis would NEVER happen!!!