The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Now that the NBA playoff are upon us (GO BULLS!), I'm sure we're all getting our share of watching basketball 7 nights a week. And being the dedicated officials that we are, I'm sure it's not only the 10 players that we are watching...

As I watch the referees, I'm trying to figure out what switching they use. I seemed to notice that they are using a different switches in the playoffs compared to what they did in the regular season.

Based on my observations, in the regular season, for fouls, it looks like the calling official would go table side and be T, and the other 2 would switch as well. For the playoffs, this doesn't seem to apply any more.

Anyone here knows exactly how they do it?

[Edited by actuary77 on May 4th, 2005 at 06:25 PM]
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It hasn't changed. The calling official always becomes the Trail official. If they're shooting FTs, then that Trail official also goes tableside. Then the other two officials switch also. (That's the situation that you describe in your post.)

So if you call a non-shooting foul opposite the table, you stay opposite the table, but you administer the throw-in and become the Trail.