The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 05:13pm
Administrator

A baseball umpire in the strange land of fast pitch softball.

I have umpired H.S. (NFHS) baseball and fast pitch softball since 1993 and only started umpiring ASA and USSSA girls'fast pitch softball in 2007 because the last year I officiated AAU and YBOA boys' and girls' national basketball tournaments was 2005 and my summers were basketball oriented to the point that I didn't even umpire summer baseball until 2007. Mark, Jr., started umpiring H.S. (NFHS) baseball and ASA and USSSA girls'fast pitch softball in 2008, and started H.S. (NFHS) fast pitch softall this Spring. Therefore you could say we are baseball umpires traveling in a strange land with regard to fast pitch softball.

I guess it is the baseball umpire in us, but we put the ball into play after every dead ball no matter whether the game is baseball or fast pitch softball. As an engineer, I don't like to assume (even though as a structural engineer, I made a living making assumptions based upon educated guesses, ) anything. The first time you don't put the ball back into play is the time that all heck breaks loose because something unusual happens. Junior and I use KUmp's approach in putting the ball back into play.

That is my two cents. Our season in Ohio and Michigan starts Monday, and I hope the trend of the temperature getting warmer continues.

Go KU! Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Kaaaaayyyyy! Uuuuuu!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
But as a previous post asked, what if a runner steps off a base or the pitcher does something in that time between the foul ball and the batter being set in the box. If you've not signaled, can you call a violation. Or maybe worse, ignore one?

Ted
Easy to address, actually. If you plan to be "that umpire" certainly you can call a violation; "that umpire" wants that attention. Even if he hasn't signalled the ball back into play.

Now, if you HAVE signaled it into play, you really can't justify ignoring a violation, even if you consider it ticky-tack. Maybe the runner is smoothing a rut in the dirt, or the pitcher is adjusting her glove; but now you have to call the violation.

If you want to ignore something that has no real significance, and you haven't pointed/signaled/declared, you can; and justify it that you didn't put it back in play yet. Better yet, you can now choose to point it in, AFTER you ignored the ticky-tack, and are fully supported, and showing everyone that NOW the ball is live, it wasn't earlier.

It has been suggested to me (not really gigged, just a topic of conversation in a high level NCAA conversation; KJ, you know of what I am speaking) that all that pointing simply looks like we are micromanaging something that is self-managed without any need for our intrusion. Do we need the added attention? Has anyone had a batter, catcher, or pitcher waiting for you
to "make the ball live"? Can't it be live when you want it to be, and still dead when you prefer (if someone is gaining an unintended advantage)?

Conversely, I have had batters, catchers, and pitchers stop and look at umpires that point and say "play", because they are wondering what the umpire is doing or saying.
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
Thank you, Steve. Surely, now, we can move on.
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 09:50pm
wife loves the goatee...

In my little corner of Central Va we were instructed two tears ago (I think) to signal the ball "live" every single cotton pickin time when the pitcher stepped on the pithcer's plate following any dead ball. Not necessary to "verbalize".
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Just curious:

Do you all put the ball in play after every dead ball? With a signal at least?

Rita
The question can be best answered by a question! Since when is the play not dead anymore if the umpire don't signal and/or say "Play (ball)"?

In the ISF rule-book there is a section where is written that play is dead any time the plateumpire turns around to brush the plate. [R10 s8b] No such thing is written about making play live, except by indicating with signal and verbal Play (ball).

I have never umpired baseball, so that's no issue. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've played it (small ball) for one season All the instructors I've seen the past 27 years, told me to signal and say "Play (ball)".
It the same as making a call on every play made by defense. Even on the obvious plays...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?