The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Putting the ball in play

Just curious:

Do you all put the ball in play after every dead ball? With a signal at least?

Rita
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 02:06am
Call it as I see it.

With runners on base always without runners on base about 90% of the time
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

I do....just a habit. Never been dinged for it either.

Joel
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 07:23am
Stirrer of the Pot

Always in baseball, hardly ever in softball.

Seriously, when I chose the red pill and joined the softball umpiring ranks, I was told in clinics that play is assumed when everyone is set, and there's no need for us to actually signal and say play. The only time I do put the ball in play is when I give the hold sign as the batter gets situated in the box, and then she's ready. At that point, I give the pitcher a "bring it" signal.

Oh, I also signal and say play at the very start of the game.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Just curious:

Do you all put the ball in play after every dead ball? With a signal at least?

Rita
Only if it is obviously necessary. Usually when someone is waiting for an indication all is ready or when I've been holding an eager pitcher. Signal, rarely, if ever, a verbal.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

To start the game, "Play ball"; to start a half inning, "Play". After that, only when necessary, or to indicate I am tired of waiting and am starting a "time between pitches" count.

It is necessary in baseball, to indicate runners are now in jeopardy, and ability to start an appeal. Neither exists in softball (well, someone could stupidly want a live ball appeal after the ball has been dead, but really??), so, unless the batter is being surprised or quick-pitched, let them play.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Neither exists in softball (well, someone could stupidly want a live ball appeal after the ball has been dead, but really??), so, unless the batter is being surprised or quick-pitched, let them play.
Had that happen last week in FED game. Had a fly ball to right with a runner tagging at 2nd. After play coach called time and went out to talk to his pitcher, I knew what was coming but he never said a word to me. Walked off the field, my partner put ball back in play then coach told pitcher to step off and throw to 2nd for the appeal. Between innings I approached the coach and told him all he needed to do was call time and tell me he was appealing the runner leaving early. "Really? When did they change that rule?"
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 10:25am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Had that happen last week in FED game. Had a fly ball to right with a runner tagging at 2nd. After play coach called time and went out to talk to his pitcher, I knew what was coming but he never said a word to me. Walked off the field, my partner put ball back in play then coach told pitcher to step off and throw to 2nd for the appeal. Between innings I approached the coach and told him all he needed to do was call time and tell me he was appealing the runner leaving early. "Really? When did they change that rule?"
Not surprising. Some of our FED coaches played and/or coached baseball, and that's all they remember about appeals.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Only if it is obviously necessary. Usually when someone is waiting for an indication all is ready or when I've been holding an eager pitcher. Signal, rarely, if ever, a verbal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
To start the game, "Play ball"; to start a half inning, "Play". After that, only when necessary, or to indicate I am tired of waiting and am starting a "time between pitches" count.

It is necessary in baseball, to indicate runners are now in jeopardy, and ability to start an appeal. Neither exists in softball (well, someone could stupidly want a live ball appeal after the ball has been dead, but really??), so, unless the batter is being surprised or quick-pitched, let them play.
Maybe because I started in baseball......it is just a habit with me......as I noted earlier.....I have never been dinged for it though......

Joel
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Always.....when starting the game, when starting a half inning, and with runners on base; signal and verbal.
Other times, only when necessary to get things moving.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 05:13am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
Maybe because I started in baseball......it is just a habit with me......as I noted earlier.....I have never been dinged for it though......
I don't think anyone would ding you since there's nothing technically wrong about it. I've just been told it's not really necessary to do it in softball for the reasons Steve mentioned.

It's kinda like signalling and verbalizing Foul on obvious foul balls that go over the backstop or the fences down the lines.

This discussion does raise a question, though. For those of you who don't put the ball in Play consistently, when is Play assumed? In baseball, we wait until the pitcher gets on the plate, the catcher gets ready to receive the pitch, and the batter gets ready in the box before we signal and say Play. In softball, the only criterion is that the pitcher has the ball on the plate.

Here's why I ask. Suppose after Play was killed for whatever reason, the pitcher gets on the pitcher's plate with her hands together, and then separates them as she gets settled to take her sign. Do you call the IP? Or do you cut her slack since you probably would not have signaled Play Ball at that point?
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Not surprising. Some of our FED coaches played and/or coached baseball, and that's all they remember about appeals.
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, ASA used to have the same appeal process back in the 80's. Pitcher steps on the rubber, umpire says "play", pitcher steps off the rubber and makes the appeal. Ball is live and runners can advance at their own risk. I hated this process!!!
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I don't think anyone would ding you since there's nothing technically wrong about it. I've just been told it's not really necessary to do it in softball for the reasons Steve mentioned.

It's kinda like signalling and verbalizing Foul on obvious foul balls that go over the backstop or the fences down the lines.

This discussion does raise a question, though. For those of you who don't put the ball in Play consistently, when is Play assumed? In baseball, we wait until the pitcher gets on the plate, the catcher gets ready to receive the pitch, and the batter gets ready in the box before we signal and say Play. In softball, the only criterion is that the pitcher has the ball on the plate.

Here's why I ask. Suppose after Play was killed for whatever reason, the pitcher gets on the pitcher's plate with her hands together, and then separates them as she gets settled to take her sign. Do you call the IP? Or do you cut her slack since you probably would not have signaled Play Ball at that point?
That's why I'll continue to put it in play with a signal. I do both baseball and softball.

Rita
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

I've asked this question at both ASA and NFHS clinics. Unfortunately, the answers I've received appear to be more opinion than rule based.

I was dinged in an NFHS evaluation for not signalling after EVERY foul ball. Most of the ASA veterans are more of the 1 play ball declaration at the start of the game, and that's it.

Many express the opinion that if the batter is in the batter's box, we're good to go, and the assumption is that the ball is in play at that point.

But as a previous post asked, what if a runner steps off a base or the pitcher does something in that time between the foul ball and the batter being set in the box. If you've not signaled, can you call a violation. Or maybe worse, ignore one?

Ted
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
But as a previous post asked, what if a runner steps off a base or the pitcher does something in that time between the foul ball and the batter being set in the box. If you've not signaled, can you call a violation. Or maybe worse, ignore one?

Ted
Which is why my preference is to indicate "play" with a signal&verbal. Nothing 'over the top' with the signal or verbal, just a crisp clear point that can be seen and a verbal that is heard by the batter and catcher.