The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

putting ball in play

Once a player has been given the ball, to inbound, at midcourt... can they bounce the ball before throw in?
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely. It is not illegal to dribble the ball during an inbounds

-Josh
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
The answer is true

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Absolutely. It is not illegal to dribble the ball during an inbounds.
A thrower-in bouncing the ball is legal, but is not a dribble. He/she can bounce it, catch, bounce again...as long as he/she releases the ball for the throw-in in 5 seconds.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophyal View Post
Once a player has been given the ball, to inbound, at midcourt... can they bounce the ball before throw in?
No different than a player dribbling/bouncing the ball before a free throw.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

The reason not to call this bouncing a dribble is that doing so would mistakenly seem to make it subject to the restrictions on dribbling.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Out Of Bounds, Inbounds, And Throwin Myths Busted...

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.

The defender may not break the imaginary plane during a throwin until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass. If the defender breaks the imaginary plane during a throwin before the ball has been released on a throw-in pass, the defender’s team will receive a team warning, or if the team has already been warned for one of the four delay situations, this action would result in a team technical foul. If the defender contacts the ball after breaking the imaginary plane, it is a player technical foul and a team warning will be recorded. If the defender fouls the inbounding player after breaking the imaginary plane, it is an intentional personal foul, and a team warning will be recorded.

The inbounding player does not have a plane restriction, but has five seconds to release the ball and it must come directly onto the court. The ball can always be passed into the backcourt during a throwin. This situation is not a backcourt violation.

If a player's momentum carries him or her off the court, he or she can be the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds. That player must not have left the court voluntarily and must immediately return inbounds. That player must have something in and nothing out. It is not necessary to have both feet back inbounds. It is a violation for a player to intentionally leave the court for an unauthorized reason.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 02:41pm.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Good stuff, Willy M. Never hurts to hear it, and in different ways.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

9.2.2 SITUATION D: A1 dribbles the ball on floor on the out-of-bounds area before making a throw-in. RULING: Legal, a player may bounce the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throw-in.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks nevada, I was needing the citation. You baled me out with two coaches... the coach of the inbounding team was furious and wanted clarification. HIS TEAM NAILED A THREE POINTER ON THE INBOUND, WITH 2 SECONDS LEFT. went to overtime and got blownout... but was willing to award defensive team. Thanks, again.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 09:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thanks nevada, I was needing the citation. You baled me out with two coaches... the coach of the inbounding team was furious and wanted clarification. HIS TEAM NAILED A THREE POINTER ON THE INBOUND, WITH 2 SECONDS LEFT. went to overtime and got blownout... but was willing to award defensive team. Thanks, again.
Are you saying the coach was mad that his team didn't get called for a violation? Are you serious?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

yes, the coach was irate that i would change the call from my lead postion under the basket... he did not care that we got the correct call. he was furious that i would come across the court to override the call of "traveling" my partner had called.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 04:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
yes, the coach was irate that i would change the call from my lead postion under the basket... he did not care that we got the correct call. he was furious that i would come across the court to override the call of "traveling" my partner had called.
Did you "override" or did you provide him with info and let him change his own call? Might be worth giving the coach some T for his crumpets.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2009, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

"override " was the coaches term, my partner corrected the call and inbounded the ball, is this story a riot or what??????????