The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

high school game-ending procedures

I am curious as to which "mercy" rules are used for high school softball in different states. Illinois has adopted 10 after 5. A 15 after 3 rule would have been a tremendous help to me during a blowout game last weekend.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Arizona is 10 after 5, and just this year instituted a 15 after 3 1/2 or 4 at the option of the losing coach. If he chooses to continue playing the game must go 4 1/2 or 5 innings.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 02:47pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I believe here in Virginia, the adoption of the "10 after 5" run rule is delegated down to the district level. I say that because our association put out a guidance document for our region (four districts) that indicates both run rules and the use of ITB.

All four of our districts adopted the 10-run rule for regular season play. For district tournaments, one district does not use the 10-run rule, while the other three do.

For region and state tournaments, the 10-run rule is not an option.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 02:51pm
Call it as I see it.

"10 after 5" in Southern California and I believe all of the CIF.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

In Georgia, we convinced the GHSA several years ago that the suggested 10 after 5 was a carryover from slowpitch rules (shared rulebook; that does match slowpitch run rules). As a result, our state adoptions match ASA; tiebreaker in the top of the 8th, 15 after 3, 12 after 4, and 8 after 5. Universally, not an option anywhere.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 03:35pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
In Georgia, we convinced the GHSA several years ago that the suggested 10 after 5 was a carryover from slowpitch rules (shared rulebook; that does match slowpitch run rules). As a result, our state adoptions match ASA; tiebreaker in the top of the 8th, 15 after 3, 12 after 4, and 8 after 5. Universally, not an option anywhere.
I wish our state would adopt the ASA rule.

I had a varsity game earlier this season in sub-freezing wind chills where the visitors had a 15-1 lead after four (would have ended then under ASA). Bottom of five, the home team scored five runs to make it 15-6 (again would have ended under ASA), forcing a sixth inning.

Top of the sixth, the visitors scored six runs, and the game finally ended 21-6 after six. I think my partner and I were out there almost 2-1/2 hours.

Speaking of ITB, our state leaves it up to the districts. But if adopted, it doesn't go into effect until the 9th inning (I don't know why...)
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

FL: 15 after 3, 10 after 5. No tie breaker.

We also go with the 1 after 7 rule... Yuk, yuk.
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
FL: 15 after 3, 10 after 5. No tie breaker.

We also go with the 1 after 7 rule... Yuk, yuk.
I've said 1 after 7 before and people just look at me like, "uh... well ah nevr hurdathatwun. Zit new?"

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Texas only requires that schools use the 10 after 5 rule, but allows districts to include the 15 after 3.

1 after 7 is, though, my favorite.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Texas only requires that schools use the 10 after 5 rule, but allows districts to include the 15 after 3.

How about one after 6 1/2?
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 07:13am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I've said 1 after 7 before and people just look at me like, "uh... well ah nevr hurdathatwun. Zit new?"
I've said that every now and then. I had one coach who stayed at the plate after our conference was over ask me to explain that one to him.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Minnesota--10 after 5 with no tie breaker. Also, games that are not official and need to be stopped (generally for weather) are suspended and will restart from the point of interruption.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Nebraska ---- 12 after 3 (or 2 1/2), 10 after 4 (or 3 1/2), 8 after 5 (or 4 1/2)
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post

I worked a HS tournament a few weeks ago. They had mercy rules and time limits in effect. Since inclement weather was forecast for the weekend, they also published alternate mercy rules and game time limits to be implemented if necessary. It became necessary....

Time limit - 1:15
Game length - 5 innings
Mercy rules - 8 after 3, 6 after 4, 4 after 5

We ended up changing the last one.......
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
Minnesota--10 after 5 with no tie breaker. Also, games that are not official and need to be stopped (generally for weather) are suspended and will restart from the point of interruption.

How are you paid for resumed games?