The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
In Georgia, we convinced the GHSA several years ago that the suggested 10 after 5 was a carryover from slowpitch rules (shared rulebook; that does match slowpitch run rules).

As a result, our state adoptions match ASA; tiebreaker in the top of the 8th, 15 after 3, 12 after 4, and 8 after 5. Universally, not an option anywhere.
That I like!

MD & DE - 10 after 5
TBR - MD 8th, DE 10th
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
How are you paid for resumed games?
By check.
Oh, you meant how much. Depends on whether more than 3 innings.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilone View Post
by check.
oh, you meant how much. :d depends on whether more than 3 innings.
:d
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

10 after 5 in Ohio...plus, he have this state-adopted rule:

Any game may also end when both head coaches and the plate umpire mutually agree to shorten and terminate the game.

This can be used for any score, at any point in the game. I think I've only had it kick in once, when it was something like 20-0 after three innings on a cold wet evening. Sounds good on paper (we're ending early!), but those three innings still took almost two hours.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
How are you paid for resumed games?
It depends. I know some associations have per inning charges. The association I am manager of kind of plays it by ear. Depends on travel, if they are going to make it up as part of a partial doubleheader and how many innings we need to work in the makeup game.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
It depends. I know some associations have per inning charges. The association I am manager of kind of plays it by ear. Depends on travel, if they are going to make it up as part of a partial doubleheader and how many innings we need to work in the makeup game.
In the metro area, if we arrive at a site and don't start, we get 50% of the game fee. If we throw at least one pitch and don't finish, we get 67%. If we return to finish a suspended game, we get 67%.

For some reason, some schools either don't know that or don't agree with it and they do whatever they feel like doing - which is usally short changing us.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
In the metro area, if we arrive at a site and don't start, we get 50% of the game fee. If we throw at least one pitch and don't finish, we get 67%. If we return to finish a suspended game, we get 67%.

For some reason, some schools either don't know that or don't agree with it and they do whatever they feel like doing - which is usally short changing us.
The 'travel fee' for showing up and the game doesn't paid - except for forfeits of course - in our backyard in SE NYS is $30.

One pitch - full fee - although, of course we are 'suggested' not to do the one pitch and leave - HINT

in varsity to finish a suspended game, sometimes a full fee, sometimes not.

MN- your example is why scheduling and payment should NEVER be handled by individual schools - WAY too much opportunity for monkey business. WE may have to wait for our fees to work its way through a system, but the idea that our assigning agency is fairly independent, and that we have real contracts with them makes for smoother sailing in the long run, IMHO...
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

NH is 12 after 4.5 or 5.

I think it only came into play twice in 3 years.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 09:50am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
NH is 12 after 4.5 or 5.

I think it only came into play twice in 3 years.
That's probably because 12 is too high, IMO.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
10 after 5 in Ohio...plus, he have this state-adopted rule:

Any game may also end when both head coaches and the plate umpire mutually agree to shorten and terminate the game.

This can be used for any score, at any point in the game. I think I've only had it kick in once, when it was something like 20-0 after three innings on a cold wet evening. Sounds good on paper (we're ending early!), but those three innings still took almost two hours.
I had a similar situation last season in my season opener in Michigan. Host school is the visitor for the second game of a DH. They score 11 runs in the top of the first, and another 11 in the top of the second, allowing only 1 run in the bottom of the first. Score after 1 and 1/2 innings was 22-1. This was after a 11-3 win in the first game which took forever as the visiting school's players may never had played softball before. We actually stopped the game on account of darkness (we implemented a rule that we stop AT SUNSET TIME) The worst part was that it was 45 degrees and windy at the start and only got colder.

Technically the game was not officially complete, but both coaches agreed to call it a completed game even though we never got 3 innings in of the second game.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Darkness rules

One of my former associations instituted a rule for all of their umpires. We follow the same rules as Michigan allows for with one exception. On unlit fields the game is stopped AT SUNSET. We don't allow pitches after sunset because of the risk of injury because of darkness.

This sets a hard deadline for when the game must be completed that both teams know before the games start.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 11:41am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
One of my former associations instituted a rule for all of their umpires. We follow the same rules as Michigan allows for with one exception. On unlit fields the game is stopped AT SUNSET. We don't allow pitches after sunset because of the risk of injury because of darkness.

This sets a hard deadline for when the game must be completed that both teams know before the games start.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't particularly care for that rule. It essentially sets a drop-dead time limit that coaches can manipulate to their advantage.

There's still enough daylight right after sunset that play could continue. Conversely, you could have conditions before actual sunset time that makes it too dark to play. Why take away that judgment from the umpires?

You want to do this for rec play, be my guest. But high school varsity? No way.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker