The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

Finally got to work my first high school game this week! Needless to say, I was excited. Sophomore boys game. It was also my partner's first HS game. That was both good and bad, I think. Good in that I had to step up and be a leader. I didn't feel like a new guy because we were both new I was the one who knew the most about the pre-game rituals, etc. Bad in that I was counting on my partner, who should have been a grizzled veteran, to set the tone for how tight we'd call it. He preferred to let a lot of contact go in the post, and a lot of hand checking, and sadly I followed suit. By the end, I was unhappy with how that part went. But overall, things went very well. It was a lot of fun. Only T'd one coach Am looking forward to my next one.

One question: who is responsible for alerting the visiting team when it's time to return after half time? At 0:30 left on the clock, we talked to the home coach and he sent somebody to get them.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Congrats on getting through the game and having some fun with it.
In a soph game, I would say to go ahead and get the fouls if you see them...even if your partner isn't getting them, especially since he was a "new" guy to. Those games can get pretty rough and to just "let em play" at that level can really get out of control fast.
Game management, or someone from the table, should be the ones responsible for notifying the teams and the officials at halftime. Hawks Coach might have some information on what time he likes to be notified...officials around here usually like to be notified with about 3 minutes left on the clock during halftime.

RD
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

We ask the table to blow the horns 3 times at the 3 minute mark. This is for us as well as both teams.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I carry a stop watch in my jacket. A Back up timer and a halftime timer... i start it before i put my jacket on and tell the table to start thier clock as soon as me and my partner are both ready. This way my clocks usually 30-40 seconds ahead of the game clock. We get back on the cour when start heading back out on the floor when I get down to 2 min and that usually puts us out there with about a min or two to go before halftime is over. As far as the visiting team? hmmm... they should be keeping track of all that themselves. I did have an incident though and asked the home coach to send someone to go get them and he said "shouldnt that be there problem" so yeah. I usually try tell the visiting coach to watch his time so he's back out in time. Hasnt been a problem usually butwould love to know how this is handled by others.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen, it's the referee's responsibility to make sure both teams are notified 3 minutes prior to the start of the half.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you, Tony.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 12:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Game management should do it.

In my area the teams are ultimately responsible for knowing when to come on the floor. We cannot even guarantee that we are informed when the proper time is to come out onto the floor. You tell the table to do it, but if they do not come or they are not coming at the right time, we have to check ourselves.

If it is done right, the game management takes care of all that.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

2-12-1
Note when each half is to start and shall notify the referee more than three minutes before this time so the referee may notify the teams, or cause them to be notified, at least three minutes before the half is to start.

It doesn't matter whether the referee does it or he delegates the task to someone else, ultimately, it is the R's responsibility.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 03:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Rulebook vs. Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
2-12-1
Note when each half is to start and shall notify the referee more than three minutes before this time so the referee may notify the teams, or cause them to be notified, at least three minutes before the half is to start.

It doesn't matter whether the referee does it or he delegates the task to someone else, ultimately, it is the R's responsibility.
If you want to pass a test, then you can have the Referee do the dirty work. If you want to live in the real world, like I had to Monday-Wednesday, then the game management or table personnel does it. Maybe things are handled differently in your area, but as an official, we do not touch this area. Often times, we do not even know where the teams are located, so I can tell you this is not something I am going to worry about. I will admit during the lower level Saturday games, we might not even go back to our locker room, depending on the school and what floor the game is being held at. But during varsity contest, I am not tracking down teams to tell them what the time is on the scoreboard. They can tell time.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 06:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Exactly. I verify when going to the table that the scorer/timer will notify the teams (or have someone do it). Thus ends my "responsibility." Most importantly, I make sure they notify US at 3 minutes so we're back on the court. Game management reality is not always the answer to a test question.

Rich
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Re: Rulebook vs. Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
If you want to pass a test, then you can have the Referee do the dirty work. If you want to live in the real world, like I had to Monday-Wednesday, then the game management or table personnel does it. Maybe things are handled differently in your area, but as an official, we do not touch this area. Often times, we do not even know where the teams are located, so I can tell you this is not something I am going to worry about. I will admit during the lower level Saturday games, we might not even go back to our locker room, depending on the school and what floor the game is being held at. But during varsity contest, I am not tracking down teams to tell them what the time is on the scoreboard. They can tell time.

Peace
Jeff --

No one is saying the R has to notify the teams.

But, the R has to be sure the teams are notified.

What do you do if you get back on the floor and one (or both) teams aren't there? I go to the table and ask if they notified the teams. If not, then someone goes and we, umm, make an allowance if they're late ocming back.

If they've been notified and are still late (by more than 1 minute) coming back, then we can assess the T. I've never had to assess the T, but I have started the clock ticking.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

PA coach would probably be a better source for what coaches want - I coach outside the more regular "school" ball. It's only at major events that we get a full halftime. When we do, I am so used to a pretty short halftime (3-5 minutes) that we are never late. I am only guilty of "maximizing" 30 sec TOs

My own thought is that most coaches probably have a feel for how long they have at haltime without ever checking a clock. If they overextend, they have to know they are doing it. So even though the notification is a requirement, i am willing to bet that it is not any surprise to those being notified. You really develop an internal clock and you know what you can get done in your allotted time. If you don't, you can't possibly make effective use of the time.

As a completely tangential side note, I do like having the full halftime. It gives you more time to talk as coaches before you go to the team, and allows a little more emphasis of each point you want to make so you aren't racing from point to point. But the short halftimes give you the good habit of not putting out too much info, because players can only focus on a couple of major things anyway. That's a good habit when you get more time.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 01:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Rulebook vs. Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

Jeff --

No one is saying the R has to notify the teams.
And you never heard me say that you never mention it to anyone to inform the teams. Just saying that much of the responsiblity falls with the people who are in charge of the game site or the people at the table.

Quote:

But, the R has to be sure the teams are notified.

What do you do if you get back on the floor and one (or both) teams aren't there? I go to the table and ask if they notified the teams.
Again, if you do that it does not mean it has not already been done. I am not going worry myself all night because I did not specifically tell someone at this particular time to go get the teams. Sometimes it is the home team that is late.

Quote:
If not, then someone goes and we, umm, make an allowance if they're late ocming back.
I treat this just like football, if I can see them coming out to the floor or playing field, I am not going to have a heart attack over it. The rules in football says that the Referee and the Umpire are suppose to go into the locker room and have our normal pregame meeting, but that never happens. I put this "responsiblity" in the same category.

Quote:

If they've been notified and are still late (by more than 1 minute) coming back, then we can assess the T. I've never had to assess the T, but I have started the clock ticking.
This is the last thing I want to do. But usually they do not inform us to when to come onto the court, then informing the teams. There are many more times when the officials are late and coming onto the floor under a minute than the teams.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
2-12-1

We may be spliting hairs...I stated it was the game management's or table's responsibility to notify the teams and officials...I should have said it is one of their DUTIES

You quoted the rule yourself,Rule 2 SECTION 12 TIMER'S DUTIES only you left out The timer shall:

Sure, it is our responsibility ultimately, but it is the Timer's duties in real life and according to the rule book.

RD
Old Sat Nov 29, 2003, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen, play semantics all you like. It is the referee's responsibility to either notify the teams or make sure that they are notoified at the 3 minute mark. It is not game management's responsibility. It is not the timer's responsibility. IT IS THE REFEREE'S RESPONSIBILITY.

The timer's responsibility, by rule, is to notify the referee.

No one is saying that the referee must go to the dressing room and get the team but he must ensure that someone has notified them. If you don't follow through with this, then you CANNOT issue a technical foul to the offending team. Hopefully, even those who don't think it's their responsibility would get off their butt and find out what's going on before they whacked somebody.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Nov 29th, 2003 at 10:11 AM]