The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

40,000 Attend High School Game

Came across a great video on Youtube. This is what it used to be like in Indiana before we switched to Class basketball. Make sure to watch the whole clip to get a idea of how big the crowd was for this State Final Game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjF1XIebdA
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

That was the end of an awsome era.

Single class basketball was a great thing that we had in Indiana. I am not totally against class basketball but I sure do miss the single tournament format. That clip brought back great memories. Thanks!!!
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Wow - Damon Bailey, the one and only....I remember reading about him in Feinstein's "Season on the Brink" book.

Who were the lucky 2-person crew to work that game?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 08:25pm
Huck Finn

If I'm not mistaken, the team Bedford played was the school where Shawn Kemp went - he graduated before that game. BTW, Kemp did not win Mr. Basketball - a guy I went to school with named Woody Austin won it.

Too bad Bailey didn't have the kind of career at IU everyone thought he would.

Do you think there are any gray-haired basketball coaches with red sweaters willing to coach IU? Sampson has got to go!
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

That was the year I graduated HS in Indy.

Sectionals in Indy at that time were played at Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler University. It was so much fun. Sectionals started on Tuesday night and you had about 10-12 area high schools in that one sectional.

Then Hinkle became the Regional and Semi State locations and the teams advancing had to play 2 games on the same Saturday at 10:30a and 1p then the winners played at 8p.

Indiana HS hoops was a different game back then.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 10:05pm
Huck Finn

Indiana HS hoops back then was Indiana HS hoops. Now it is similar to many other states.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Indiana HS hoops back then was Indiana HS hoops. Now it is similar to many other states.
No doubt!!! On a side note.. Damon Bailey ended up coaching the VB @ Bedford North Lawrence for a couple of years. I actually officiated one of his last home games. Shortly there after his season ended and he resigned.

Last edited by Gimlet25id; Wed Feb 20, 2008 at 11:26am.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Bailey had a nice HS career but he became a victim of the hype machine starting in his 8th grade year.

I can't fault the guy....he got his education paid for and played at the school that and for the coach he coveted most. That in itself is living the dream if you ask me.

I can't help but wonder if he came along now if he would have had an NBA career? The game from HS to NBA is so much different now than it was back than in terms of the AAU system, exposure to play other great HS players from across the country....I think he did play overseas for a couple years and maybe played in the states for a team outta Ft. Wayne....can't remember the league it was....some sort of D-league for the NBA before it got backing by the NBA.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I could not identify the two officials working the game
although I officiated back in those years, in fact, still do.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

No visual counts.....

No signals for 3??.....

wow.. things were different...

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 05:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Where was Gene Hackman?