The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
In your examples, the runner or batter did nothing illegal. I would ask what you would do after an illegal pitch is delivered and an offensive player subsequently violates a rule, such as interferes with a fielder fielding the batted ball. Do you enforce both violations then?
You're asking me what I would do... I would enforce the rules as per this ruling.

Just because I disagree with a ruling doesn't mean I'm going to ignore it on the field.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Why? In HS play this is a dead ball.....

Semantically, it should be 'no pitch' - with the EFFECT of a dead ball, no?

At least, here in NY (ASA JO with Jay Miner's variations) it is.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Jay Miner's variations.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Tell me about it - Jay is the NYSSO Rules Interp - lucky us, huh?
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

At the time of the double-touch, it is a delayed dead ball because of the illegal pitch. When the runner leaves the base early, the ball is dead.

When an illegal pitch is committed and the batter and all runners do not advance safely one base, then the offensive team has the option to take the result of the play or enforcement of the illegal pitch penalty.

In this case, the result of the play is the runner on 1st base being called out for leaving early. There is no other movement with runners and no thrown pitch. The offense could elect this result. This is the totality of the play.

Or, because not all runners advanced safely, the offense can choose to take the penalty for an illegal pitch. It is a ball on the batter and each runner is advanced one base.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 11:12am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You're asking me what I would do... I would enforce the rules as per this ruling.

Just because I disagree with a ruling doesn't mean I'm going to ignore it on the field.
From the tone of your response, I get the impression that you mistook my intent. I was really just asking if enforcing two violations applied to all situations, not just this paticular case play.

Say, for example, the batter swings and hits the catcher's mitt while stroking a ground ball to F6. R1 on second base (only runner) interferes with F6 as she runs to third, and there is no play on the BR. Does the penalty option afforded to the offensive head coach for catcher obstruction allow R1 to return to second and award the BR first base? Or do we still penalize R1 despite the catcher obstruction, rule her out for interference, and put the BR on first?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From the tone of your response, I get the impression that you mistook my intent. I was really just asking if enforcing two violations applied to all situations, not just this paticular case play.

Say, for example, the batter swings and hits the catcher's mitt while stroking a ground ball to F6. R1 on second base (only runner) interferes with F6 as she runs to third, and there is no play on the BR. Does the penalty option afforded to the offensive head coach for catcher obstruction allow R1 to return to second and award the BR first base? Or do we still penalize R1 despite the catcher obstruction, rule her out for interference, and put the BR on first?
Seems to me on the CO, the coach gets the result of the play OR the penalty for the CO. Don't know about half and half, at least, not outside the pub.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 01:28pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Seems to me on the CO, the coach gets the result of the play OR the penalty for the CO. Don't know about half and half, at least, not outside the pub.
So, you're saying that R1's interference of F6 would be ignored if the coach took the CO penalty, and R1 would be returned to second base.

If that's correct, then why the inconsistency? In my OP (which comes from NFHS case play 8.6.21 as BretMan pointed out), both the illegal pitch and the LBE penalties are enforced. Why not enforce both penalties here? Or am I missing something...?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Speaking ASA, we enforce the INT and the CO. 8.5.B note 2. [Edit] WRONG! See June 2008 rules clarifications

Looking for similar language or a case play for NFHS.

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Tue Mar 05, 2013 at 08:54pm.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Just don't understand how you could have an illegal pitch when you have a no pitch call. Can a no pitch be illegal also?
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig View Post
Just don't understand how you could have an illegal pitch when you have a no pitch call. Can a no pitch be illegal also?
Because when a runner leaves the base early, the umpire is to declare "no pitch." It doesn't negate whether something was illegal beforehand. It's simply the mechanic. Perhaps some would prefer that "time" be called instead.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
Speaking ASA, we enforce the INT and the CO. 8.5.B note 2.

Looking for similar language or a case play for NFHS.
I think we had a very long discussion on this a while back. Reading the RS, it seems that could refer only to the person obstructed being involved in the interference.

Would not accepting the enforcement of the rule negate the play? And if you negate the play, how can you have interference on a play that didn't exist?
Old Tue Mar 05, 2013, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think we had a very long discussion on this a while back. Reading the RS, it seems that could refer only to the person obstructed being involved in the interference.

Would not accepting the enforcement of the rule negate the play? And if you negate the play, how can you have interference on a play that didn't exist?
You're right, of course. See the ASA Rules clarification from June 2008. Now I'm trying to figure out where I heard wrong.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And this logic, which completely makes sense to me, is exactly the reason I DON'T think the logic is correct on the OP. Seems to me - if we're being consistent... the offense should be allowed to accept the penalty for the IP, which wipes out the leaving early just like it wipes out the INT on Manny's play.

But... I don't make the rulings, I just enforce them.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 11:49am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
And this logic, which completely makes sense to me, is exactly the reason I DON'T think the logic is correct on the OP. Seems to me - if we're being consistent... the offense should be allowed to accept the penalty for the IP, which wipes out the leaving early just like it wipes out the INT on Manny's play.
So, in a nutshell, when the offensive coach accepts the penalty for an IP, it wipes out anything that happened during subsequent play except for a LBE violation, at least in FED play.

My head hurts....