The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Two Violations in One (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/94220-two-violations-one.html)

Manny A Thu Feb 28, 2013 01:52pm

Two Violations in One

Interesting scenario that our UIC presented in a NFHS rules clinic last night, and wanted to share with y'all.

R1 at third, R2 at first. F1 commits a double-touch, and PU gives the DDB signal while verbalizing "Illegal Pitch." F1 then starts her motion to deliver the ball. Before she releases the ball, R2 leaves the base early. BU sees the violation and calls, "No Pitch! Runner at first left too soon and is Out!"

What is the result of the situation?

RKBUmp Thu Feb 28, 2013 02:19pm

I seem to remember this being covered a year or two ago but I cant find it at the moment.

My recollection is you enforce both infractions. R2 is out for leaving early, the batter is awarded a ball, R1 is awarded home.

bbsbvb83 Thu Feb 28, 2013 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 882443)
I seem to remember this being covered a year or two ago but I cant find it at the moment.

My recollection is you enforce both infractions. R2 is out for leaving early, the batter is awarded a ball, R1 is awarded home.

Your recollection is spot-on.

Manny A Thu Feb 28, 2013 02:41pm

What if there were two outs? Does R1's run score?

DaveASA/FED Thu Feb 28, 2013 03:00pm

For some reason I remember the answer being yes run scores. Reason was you enforce the penalties in the order that they happened. IP was first so it is enforced first, then runner leaving early is enforced. But can't seem to find the interp to reference.

EsqUmp Thu Feb 28, 2013 05:42pm

An exception to the rule is when the pitcher commits and illegal pitch that induces the runner to leave early. For example, the pitcher can't make three revolutions before releasing the ball, causing the runner to leave at the point where the pitcher would be required to release the ball in order to comply with the revolution guidelines.

If the pitcher makes 3 revolutions and the runner leaves at 2 1/2, enforce the illegal pitch only and warn the pitcher.

BretMan Fri Mar 01, 2013 02:34pm

This one is straight out of the case book...

8.6.21 SITUATION:

With R1 on third base and R2 on first base, F1 double touches for an illegal pitch. The plate umpire calls an illegal pitch but before the hands separate to deliver the ball, R2 leaves first base on her way to second base. The base umpire calls "dead ball" and calls R2 out.

RULING: R2 is out for leaving first base before F1 released the ball. The illegal pitch is enforced which results in a "ball" awarded to B3 and one base (home) to R1. (6-1-2)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 882506)
An exception to the rule is when the pitcher commits and (sic) illegal pitch that induces the runner to leave early.

Where is this "exception" documented in NFHS rules?

Manny A Fri Mar 01, 2013 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 882660)
This one is straight out of the case book...

8.6.21 SITUATION:

With R1 on third base and R2 on first base, F1 double touches for an illegal pitch. The plate umpire calls an illegal pitch but before the hands separate to deliver the ball, R2 leaves first base on her way to second base. The base umpire calls "dead ball" and calls R2 out.

RULING: R2 is out for leaving first base before F1 released the ball. The illegal pitch is enforced which results in a "ball" awarded to B3 and one base (home) to R1. (6-1-2)

Aaah, our instructor mentioned it was out of the case book. But, silly me, I looked for it under Rule 6.

Obviously, the call of "dead ball" on the LBE violation is not correct.

MD Longhorn Fri Mar 01, 2013 03:38pm

Quote:

I don't remember this being in the rules, but rather as a memorandum.

Obviously you aren't going to call a runner out who leave the base early if they left BECAUSE of the illegal pitch.

MD Longhorn Fri Mar 01, 2013 03:52pm

Honestly, this ruling has ALWAYS struck me as odd, despite the case play.

Let me walk you through why.

What's the penalty for an illegal pitch? Specifically, in a play where the pitch is thrown and additional action happens (like, for example, R1 thrown out stealing 2nd, or batter hitting a fly out)

EsqUmp Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:15pm

Quote:

Don't enforce the penalty when the team who offended is benefited from its enforcement. In my proposed play, the defense induced the offense into a violation by creating an illegal pitch. You don't reward the defense for violating the rules and causing a secondary infraction.

Rules + Common Sense = You don't call the runner out

AtlUmpSteve Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:11am

On the case play cited, no double touch I ever saw induced a runner to leave early. Enforce exactly like the case book suggests. This isn't a common sense ruling.

The exception is when the illegal pitch actually causes or induces the runner to leave early. The obvious example is if the pitcher holds on to the ball after passing the hip and makes a 2nd full revolution, or simply never delivers the pitch. Runners that time the release that never happened shouldn't be penalized for the violation clearly caused by the defense's illegal action.

But this case play has NOTHING to do with that type of situation. Don't overthink when lead down the wrong path.

Manny A Sat Mar 02, 2013 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 882676)
Honestly, this ruling has ALWAYS struck me as odd, despite the case play.

Let me walk you through why.

What's the penalty for an illegal pitch? Specifically, in a play where the pitch is thrown and additional action happens (like, for example, R1 thrown out stealing 2nd, or batter hitting a fly out)

In your examples, the runner or batter did nothing illegal. I would ask what you would do after an illegal pitch is delivered and an offensive player subsequently violates a rule, such as interferes with a fielder fielding the batted ball. Do you enforce both violations then?

EsqUmp Sat Mar 02, 2013 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 882716)

But this case play has NOTHING to do with that type of situation. Don't overthink when lead down the wrong path.

I wrote an exception to the rule application and gave a specific example. Read correctly so you aren't lead down the wrong path.

Andy Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 882670)

Obviously, the call of "dead ball" on the LBE violation is not correct.

Why? In HS play this is a dead ball.....