The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

a question about heat exhaustion

I was working the plate in a game last night. I thought I had hydrated enough and felt I was in good enough shape to do the game. Got into the top of the 7th and over 2 hours of a slow moving contest when I began to feel like I was running out of gas. Finally I realized I was in trouble. I called my partner over and discussed it with him. I called over both coaches and explained the situation. Suggested the game finish with a single umpire behind the pitcher. I sat down and was soon assisted by school personnel who helped me cool down and get me on my way home. I didn't feel that immediate medical help was needed. I will get checked out before I accept any more games.
I've seen major league umpires bail out over the years. Wonder if anyone else here has had similar experiences.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I had a football official of mine get himself in real trouble. It was early August, a fund-raiser set of games. Literally 12 hours, nearly constant, and when we got behind, breaks evaporated. About 105 degrees that day. My partner, after a kickoff, looked at me and said, "grunuffurneffff" or some such. I told him to go get some water. He disappeared and we worked the rest of that day with just 2.

Found out later he had wandered off, and some coach recognized him and got him to the hospital. He was there for 3 days.

Don't F with hydration. I hydrate a day in advance once it gets over 90, and stay overhydrated even on my off days all summer long.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Only happened to me once.

Weekend tournament, about 100 degrees both Saturday and Sunday. Did 5 games on Saturday, no problem. Had first game on Sunday on the bases, then a break, then the plate for the noon Championship game in a 3 umpire system. This tournament decided that there would be no time limit on the championship game. this game ended up being a 2 hour, 45 minute marathon...multiple runs each half inning, errors, walks, just about anything you can think of to draw out the game. I had been hydrating all weekend, mostly water with some gatorade every now and then. By the end of that game, I was spent. I was scheduled to go back out as 3BU for the IF game, but there was no way....one of the other umpires there took that assignment for me. I sat in the shade, cool wet towels, water and Pedialyte for about 30 minutes and was OK.

Living in the desert where I do, I know the importance of proper hydration and followed the same routine in that tournament as I would normally. Could happen to anyone at any time.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

2 years ago at nationals I thought I was staying plenty hydrated. I had 3 games the first day, 4 the second day, 5 on the third day including the late game and was scheduled for the losers bracket final on sunday morning. I ate breakfast and purposely drank some extra water. Game started out fine, but about half way through the 3rd I began feeling like I was in a fog, having trouble concentrating and a thirst that just would not go away. I probably drank 6 bottles of water in the 4th and 5th innings but still felt parched. I finally called over the UIC who got me some gatorade. The instant I drank some of it I immediately felt better and got my head straight. I think not only was I dehydrated but was probably suffering from a low blood sugar incident at same time. After the game I did feel a little woosey so they had the paramedics check me out, they wanted me to go the hospital but I refused. Sat in cool trailer for awhile, ate some fruit, drank more water and gatorade and felt much better.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

You know it is hot when you pull your chest protector away from your body and the heat flows out like a furnace.

I've felt woozy behind the plate in the summer but have never really gotten ill. I don't work these four and five game dates any more (at 58, I don't think I need to) so maybe that helps.

I always have my gallon cooler of water near one of the dugouts and hit it every inning when it is hot.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
I was working the plate in a game last night. I thought I had hydrated enough and felt I was in good enough shape to do the game. Got into the top of the 7th and over 2 hours of a slow moving contest when I began to feel like I was running out of gas. Finally I realized I was in trouble. I called my partner over and discussed it with him. I called over both coaches and explained the situation. Suggested the game finish with a single umpire behind the pitcher. I sat down and was soon assisted by school personnel who helped me cool down and get me on my way home. I didn't feel that immediate medical help was needed. I will get checked out before I accept any more games.
I've seen major league umpires bail out over the years. Wonder if anyone else here has had similar experiences.
You're just writing that to annoy our friends north of the MD line, right?
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

BTW - I keep hearing water, water, water. Water alone won't do it. Not during these marathons. I alternate Water with gator or power-ade. Some add salt pills (I'll bring a medium bag of chips and eat 3-4 between each game). Some add a banana every 3 hours or so... whatever works for you, but water alone won't be enough.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

I have been considering this product line RiteTemp AthleticsAlso, stock up on PediaLyte and keep it in your cooler.
Pickles should also be in the cooler.

Last year in ASA State Tourney had three games on Friday night.
All three games went extra innings. Was on the field for just over 6 hours.
Temp was still 97 at midnight. Humidity was high and air was stagnant.

By the third game, it hurt just to breathe. It made me understand what "heavy air" is, and why you would move to the Rockies if you have respiratory issues.

Only got about 6 hours sleep that night and it wasn't a good sleep.
Next morning in my 2nd game I had to call for relief in the middle of the game. Could not finish the rest of the day.
Body did not recover from the previous night.
Started pounding PediaLyte around 4 pm on Saturday and into the night.
And was able to get back on the field for the Sunday games.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2013, 01:25pm
Archaic Power Monger

Some things that I've started doing that seem to help tremendously, especially when working behind the plate.

First of all, I invested in these:

RiteTemp Athletics Officially Cool Endurance Pad Set: Ump Attire

I can't say enough how well they work and keep the heat manageable. That furnace feeling from under the chest protector goes away with these, I kid you not.

Keep well hydrated obviously but before each game, I'd drink a bottle of coconut water which is naturally sugar free and loaded with electrolytes. This helped prevent cramping and helped ensure a proper electrolyte level.
Old Sat Feb 23, 2013, 08:28am
Seriously Coach?

I was officiating a week one HS football game in Ohio, late August. I worked outside all day on a bulldozer then went to the game without eating anything but a handful of pretzels in the locker room pregame. It was mid-80's with 70%+ humidity. First half went well, first drive of the 3rd was a quick score. Our umpire hurt his knee during the try for point and knew he was done. Last thing I remember was telling the home coach we were going to finish with 4. Then I am waking up in an ambulance on the way to an ER. From what I was told, I passed out wasn't responding. After every test, I was released with heat stroke/dehydration at 3am. I still don't remember anything after talking to the coach. We kicked off and had a series or two before this happened.