The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 11:56am
Stirrer of the Pot

Batter Obstructed by Catcher Enters Dugout

I had an interesting situation in an 18U rec league game last night. Runner on first, and batter swings and hits the catcher's mitt. She also grounds the ball to F3. F3 picks up the ball, steps on first base, and then throws to make a play on R1 at second (BTW, because of what I was told here in a recent discussion, I didn't kill play as soon as the obstructed batter was retired ).

In true fashion for rec league ball, the throw goes over F6's head. F7 retrieves the ball, and throws to F5 to play on R1 who is now trying for third. R2 is safe at third on the throw.

I call Time, go to explain to the offensive coach that I had catcher's obstruction, and offer him his options. He decides to go with the penalty to put runners on first and second. Out of the dugout comes the batter to occupy first.

So now I remember that a rule (ASA 8-2-D) calls for a batter-runner to be called out if she enters the dugout area after a catcher's obstruction. But I can't imagine that this would apply in this situation, since the batter had no idea she was obstructed. I let the runners take their bases, and played on.

I checked the rule book after the game, and found 8-2-D. But it provides no guidance how it applies.

So, why does the rule on a batter entering her dugout include catcher's obstruction? How is she and her coach supposed to know the obstruction occurred, and she's supposed to stay in the field of play until the infraction is adjudicated?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

My opinion only and how I would explain it if asked:

Catcher's Obstruction is a delayed dead ball. As long as the batter tried to reach first base when she hit the ball, I believe she is OK. Since the play you presented took so long to resolve due to the overthrows, you can't offer the options to the offensive coach until the play is over. The B/R, believing she is out, heads to the dugout as usual. Since the B/R did not reach first base, you will have to offer the option to the OC.

Once the OC decided to take the penalty and you announce the award, if the B/R then decided to stay in the dugout (and I can't see why she would), you would be correct in declaring her out.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
So now I remember that a rule (ASA 8-2-D) calls for a batter-runner to be called out if she enters the dugout area after a catcher's obstruction. But I can't imagine that this would apply in this situation, since the batter had no idea she was obstructed. I let the runners take their bases, and played on.

I checked the rule book after the game, and found 8-2-D. But it provides no guidance how it applies.

So, why does the rule on a batter entering her dugout include catcher's obstruction? How is she and her coach supposed to know the obstruction occurred, and she's supposed to stay in the field of play until the infraction is adjudicated?
Think about it. Was the player an active participant at the time she entered the dugout or was she a retired BR?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I think you're both right.

It does beck or beg or bake or whatever the question ...
Why is "catcher obstruction" in this rule at all? In what kind of scenario would it apply?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 01:39pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Think about it. Was the player an active participant at the time she entered the dugout or was she a retired BR?
In this case, she was a retired BR. So perhaps I was covered here.

But I'm still questioning the logic of specifically including catcher's obstruction in the rule. Let's say she was an "active participant", as you suggest, after the obstruction. She could only be active for one of three reasons:

1. She batted the ball fairly despite the obstruction
2. She was issued a base on balls, where she checked her swing and hit the catcher's mitt in the process
3. She swung and hit the mitt but missed the pitch for an uncaught third strike

But those three reasons are already covered by the rule. And if she did enter the dugout after the obstruction, I would think she would be subsequently awarded first base due to the obstruction if the offensive coach accepted the penalty. In other words, catcher's obstruction should be an exception to the rule, not another example of when to call an out.

So, what gives with having this listed in 8-2-D?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Oct 23, 2012, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Why is "catcher obstruction" in this rule [8.2.D] at all? In what kind of scenario would it apply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
And if she did enter the dugout after the obstruction, I would think she would be subsequently awarded first base due to the obstruction if the offensive coach accepted the penalty. In other words, catcher's obstruction should be an exception to the rule, not another example of when to call an out.

So, what gives with having this [CO] listed in 8-2-D?
I think Andy has it. Also, CO is one of the ways a batter becomes a BR (see 8.1.D) and 8.2.D applies to the BR failing to advance to first.