The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 11, 2012, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
(Snip) I consider it extraneous and quite possibly, a good possibility for inconsistency since the PU is not always aware the ball was not caught.
Oh boy, you're goinna love this........

NCAA mechanics require the field umpires to assist on 3rd strike calls with a physical signal indicating either catch or no catch...
Old Wed Jul 11, 2012, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Oh boy, you're goinna love this........

NCAA mechanics require the field umpires to assist on 3rd strike calls with a physical signal indicating either catch or no catch...
The book says to only do so on strike three calls when the batter can advance. At a few clinics I've attended, the clinicians have told us to do it on every strike three.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Jul 11, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
The signal comes with a verbal: "No catch", which is for the batter and catcher to hear because, as you have pointed out, they don't see the signal.
And is that going to be right away, or after your standard "Strike/Strike Three" call?

How did this game get to the point of needing this after decades of NOT having it? Will the lack of a timely call create any contention with the teams? If the call is not made and a player enters the dugout and the defense never makes a play, is that delayed/changed call placing either in jeopardy?

IMO, unnecessary can of worms that has arisen out of laziness and weak coaching. Like I said, JMO.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And is that going to be right away, or after your standard "Strike/Strike Three" call?
After
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for everyones responses. Someone asked if her followed her, from my vantage point, he was almost directly behind her, about 3-5 feet. It didn't appear he moved to a better angle. The call was spot on, just a big "tell" to anyone paying attention.
Thanks everyone
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
How did this game get to the point of needing this after decades of NOT having it?
For me, it is innovation.

There were people who didn't think the horseless carriage was necessary - for a variety of what were sound reasons. But, I think the automobile was a positive innovation.

I agree that for many decades we got along fine without letting both teams know what we are ruling on an uncaught third strike, but I personally believe that it is a useful mechanic. I respect your opinion and understand it. I just disagree.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
For me, it is innovation.

There were people who didn't think the horseless carriage was necessary - for a variety of what were sound reasons. But, I think the automobile was a positive innovation.

I agree that for many decades we got along fine without letting both teams know what we are ruling on an uncaught third strike, but I personally believe that it is a useful mechanic. I respect your opinion and understand it. I just disagree.
Not all innovation is good. May seem good, but in the long run, I often have to wonder if it actually improves anything.

How about the verbaliztion of "obstruction"? I just stopped doing it due to the negative effect it had on the game. But it satisfies someone's desire, so it needs to remain even though there is a visual signal that has worked for decades. However, this game is getting so excuse-for-failure heavy, look out for OBS to become a dead ball and instant award in the next decade or two.

The TV remote is a good example. Sure, it is convenient, but it made folks lazy and in some cases, stupid. Same with the automatic transmission in a vehicle. Talk about an innovation which has dummied down a society.

Ever see a teenager try to "dial" a phone number? Or a college student not be able to figure out the change for a $70 tab from a $100 bill without a calculator? In the 70s, (yes, even that long ago) when I worked for Southland in FL, there was a power outage at the store and no one could figure out how I could keep the business open without an operating electric cash register. Go figure, the math I learned in 3rd grade confused the big, college graduate who was my alleged superior.

New and different doesn't mean better, and if you played the game of softball 20-30 years ago, you should be able to appreciate how weak the skill levels have become for some playing today's game.

Question: Before the incident in MLB, did you ever hear such an uproar for a mechanic on a U3K? Even with the mechanic, what has actually changed other than the appearance that there was some sort of reaction?

You can agree and I can disagree, but I cannot see one positive it adds to the game.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Not all innovation is good. May seem good, but in the long run, I often have to wonder if it actually improves anything.

How about the verbaliztion of "obstruction"? I just stopped doing it due to the negative effect it had on the game. But it satisfies someone's desire, so it needs to remain even though there is a visual signal that has worked for decades. However, this game is getting so excuse-for-failure heavy, look out for OBS to become a dead ball and instant award in the next decade or two.

The TV remote is a good example. Sure, it is convenient, but it made folks lazy and in some cases, stupid. Same with the automatic transmission in a vehicle. Talk about an innovation which has dummied down a society.

Ever see a teenager try to "dial" a phone number? Or a college student not be able to figure out the change for a $70 tab from a $100 bill without a calculator? In the 70s, (yes, even that long ago) when I worked for Southland in FL, there was a power outage at the store and no one could figure out how I could keep the business open without an operating electric cash register. Go figure, the math I learned in 3rd grade confused the big, college graduate who was my alleged superior.

New and different doesn't mean better, and if you played the game of softball 20-30 years ago, you should be able to appreciate how weak the skill levels have become for some playing today's game.

Question: Before the incident in MLB, did you ever hear such an uproar for a mechanic on a U3K? Even with the mechanic, what has actually changed other than the appearance that there was some sort of reaction?

You can agree and I can disagree, but I cannot see one positive it adds to the game.
1) You are not old enough for this kind of rant. Next thing you know you will be going about growing up with no air conditioning, riding a bike w/o a helmet or maybe penny candy.

2) Poor 3rd grade math has little to do with declining playing skills.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If it prevents the coach from arguing "Your fist was up in the air. You called my batter out," that's a good enough "positive" for me.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2012, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
1) You are not old enough for this kind of rant. Next thing you know you will be going about growing up with no air conditioning, riding a bike w/o a helmet or maybe penny candy.
I did not have TV, black and white, in my younger years. The air conditioner was an open window. Milk & other dairy products,, bread & potato chips, along with household goods (Fuller Brush) and footwear were delivered to you door. As was a newspaper and mail, yes MAIL, twice a day. You went to a butcher for meats, farmer's market for vegetables & fruit, bakery for bread, cakes & pies and corner grocery for non-perishibles. Went to the mill for cloth and dry goods for other products.
Quote:

2) Poor 3rd grade math has little to do with declining playing skills.
It isn't the 3rd grade math that I believe to be poor.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not have TV, black and white, in my younger years. The air conditioner was an open window. Milk & other dairy products,, bread & potato chips, along with household goods (Fuller Brush) and footwear were delivered to you door. As was a newspaper and mail, yes MAIL, twice a day. You went to a butcher for meats, farmer's market for vegetables & fruit, bakery for bread, cakes & pies and corner grocery for non-perishibles. Went to the mill for cloth and dry goods for other products.
"Little Man"

I remember walk'in round the court square sidewalk
Lookin' in windows at things I couldn't want
There's johnson's hardware and morgans jewelry
And the ol' Lee king's apothecary
They were the little man
The little man

I go back now and the stores are empty
Except for an old coke sign dated 1950
Boarded up like they never existed
Or renovated and called historic districts
There goes the little man
There goes the little man

Now the court square's just a set of streets
That the people go round but they seldom think
Bout the little man that built this town
Before the big money shut em down
And killed the little man
Oh the little man

He pumped your gas and he cleaned your glass
And one cold rainy night he fixed your flat
The new stores came where you do it yourself
You buy a lotto ticket and food off the shelf
Forget the little man
Forget about that little man

He hung on there for a few more years
But he couldn't sell slurpees
And he wouldn't sell beer
Now the bank rents the station
To a man down the road
And they sell velvet Elvis and
Second-hand clothes
There goes little man
There goes another little man

Oh the little man

Now the stores are lined up in a concrete strip
You can buy the whole world in just one trip
And save a penny cause it's jumbo size
They don't even realize
They'er killin' the little man
Oh the little man

Oh the little man

It wasn't long ago when I was a child
An old black man came with his mule and his plow
He broke the ground where we grew our garden
Back before we'd all forgoten
about the little man
The little man
Long live the little man
God bless the little man
Old Wed Jul 18, 2012, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

It isn't the 3rd grade math that I believe to be poor.

BLACK AND WHITE TV

"Good night and God bless."

Go all the way to the bottom past the pictures..... I think you'll enjoy it. Whoever wrote this must have been my next door neighbor because it totally described my childhood to a 'T.' Hope you enjoy it.

Black and White

Black and White (Under age 40? You won't understand.)
You could hardly see for all the snow,

Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go. Pull a chair up to the TV set,
'Good Night, David.
Good Night, Chet.'
My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread Mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter and I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE...and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.
Flunking gym was not an option.... Even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then.. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah... And where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat. We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either; because if we did we got our butt spanked there and then we got our butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off.

Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house.

Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family.

How could we possibly have known that we needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes?

We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA; AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T, SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!

Pass this to someone and remember that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best.

--