The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Help with Flex and DP

Here is my situation. I am a newer coach wanting to use a Flex and DP in an ASA event. I don't want to get myself in a bind with this. So I am going to explain what I think is correct and hopefully some of you can give me some insight on the situation. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Here is my lineup card.

NO. Player Position
9 TK 1
18 BH 6
24 TW 2
14 TB 7
16 BM 3
10 MO 5
4 MB 8
7 NR DP
5 ER 9
11 ML 4 (FLEX) ***Sub NO. 23 for NO. 11***

Subs
2 BB
22 TB
23 CF

OK....I am going to move my Center Fielder (Position 8) to second Base (Position 4)
Then I am going to sub NO. 23 in for my flex (NO. 11) and they will play center field

Am I thinking correctly that I have ten positions and I can sub directly for each of them. So, If I have a flex then I can sub in for that flex. Now the new flex will play the field, but not bat. Hope this is all clear. Thanks for any input.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

What you seem to be doing here is perfectly fine. Number 11 has now left the game and has one re-entry if you so desire.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitveer View Post
Here is my situation. I am a newer coach wanting to use a Flex and DP in an ASA event. I don't want to get myself in a bind with this. So I am going to explain what I think is correct and hopefully some of you can give me some insight on the situation. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Here is my lineup card.

NO. Player Position
9 TK 1
18 BH 6
24 TW 2
14 TB 7
16 BM 3
10 MO 5
4 MB 8
7 NR DP
5 ER 9
11 ML 4 (FLEX) ***Sub NO. 23 for NO. 11***

Subs
2 BB
22 TB
23 CF

OK....I am going to move my Center Fielder (Position 8) to second Base (Position 4)
Then I am going to sub NO. 23 in for my flex (NO. 11) and they will play center field

Am I thinking correctly that I have ten positions and I can sub directly for each of them. So, If I have a flex then I can sub in for that flex. Now the new flex will play the field, but not bat. Hope this is all clear. Thanks for any input.
What you have done is legal and you seem to have a grasp on the situation.

When managing your line-up, it may help if you exclude defensive positioning. Completely irrelevant to the line-up, B1 through B9 including the DP plus the FLEX.

Other than a player removed from the pitching position by rule, there is no restriction on which 9 play defense other than the FLEX must b 1 of the 9 or she is out of the game. and is allowed one re-entry, just as is every other player who is in or enters the line-up and then leaves it.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
When managing your line-up, it may help if you exclude defensive positioning. Completely irrelevant to the line-up, B1 through B9 including the DP plus the FLEX.

Other than a player removed from the pitching position by rule, there is no restriction on which 9 play defense other than the FLEX must be 1 of the 9 or she is out of the game. and is allowed one re-entry, just as is every other player who is in or enters the line-up and then leaves it.
As an ump, I need to know
- pitcher & catcher for CR and
- to correctly make any changes, who is DP.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Not sure this is what you meant, but have seen issues with this!!

The DP is the person listed as the DP in the order at the plate conference that doesn't change during the game (unless a legal substitute takes the DP postion). I have seen some people list others as the DP if they aren't playing defense this is dangerous since the FLEX can only play offense for the DP. If you "change" the DP during the game then you open up a chance for all kinds of stuff to happen! NOw it's ok to list the DP as F1-9 to keep track of defensive positon (as you mentioned all we really care about it F1 or F2 for CR rules) but would not reccommend listing someone else as the DP just because they aren't playing defense that particular inning!

Also you need to know for sure when the FLEX is not playing defense, since when this happens they have left the game and that needs to be recorded.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
What you have done is legal and you seem to have a grasp on the situation.

Other than a player removed from the pitching position by rule, there is no restriction on which 9 play defense other than the FLEX must b 1 of the 9 or she is out of the game. and is allowed one re-entry, just as is every other player who is in or enters the line-up and then leaves it.
And if you want your DP to play defense, just remember if she plays defense for the FLEX, that is considered a substitution.

Is there a rule in the book more overwritten than 4 3(A-H)? I know the rule, and I found MY eyes glazing over when reading it a couple of minutes ago - no wonder coaches and new umpires have such a problem with it.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
And if you want your DP to play defense, just remember if she plays defense for the FLEX, that is considered a substitution.

Is there a rule in the book more overwritten than 4 3(A-H)? I know the rule, and I found MY eyes glazing over when reading it a couple of minutes ago - no wonder coaches and new umpires have such a problem with it.
It is not a substitution. By definition, it is not a substitution. And yes, I know the rule books uses the term, inappropriately, IMO.

It just means a player has left the game.

It is confusing because of stuff like this. It is not that hard to understand. If you have ever seen the live line-up demonstration, you probably smacked yourself on the forehead and said, "damn, that isn't that hard" if it was presented properly.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 12:13pm.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
No, you do not. Not for the purposes of applying the DP/FLEX rule.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2012, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
No, you do not. Not for the purposes of applying the DP/FLEX rule.
Right, different context.