The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

I recently participated in a PONY tournament with my 16U girls fastpitch team where I used the Flex and DP in my line-up. Of the teams we played against, not one opposing coach was familiar with these designations. I hope I used these "positions" correctly. My situation is that I have two girls who can only play first base (one lefty, one righty). I designate one as the DP and the other as the Flex. This way I can keep both in the game and substitute one for the other depending on the game situation, especially for batting. Up until now I have only flip-flopped these 2 players once per game by notifying the umpires and opposing coach of the substitution. I have 2 questions.

1. Is there a limit on the number of times that I can flip-flop these 2 particular players in one game between Flex and DP?

2. If my DP gets on base and I use a pinch runner off the bench for her, can she (the DP) re-enter the game in the next at bat or must the pinch runner become the DP?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I am speaking of ASA and FED rules, I would imagine Pony is the same, and if not I am sure someone will correct me. Flex/DP can both play defense at the same time, only one of them can bat as they are locked into the same position in the lineup. So with that said, if your DP plays for the Flex, then she has left the game, she has one reentry just as any player has, so yes you can only do this once the second time you take her out she can not return. You can substitute for her and bring the flex position back into the game but original flex can only reenter once.

So #1 is DP #2 is Flex, 1st inning 2 misses 2 balls at 1st so you replace her with 1. 2 now has left the game as her only thing she did was play defense and now she is not doing that. DP has not done anything but taken over defense for flex. 2nd inning you left #2 try again, this has burnt her one reentry, if you replace her with the DP again then #2 is done for the game. Now you can bring #3 (a legal substitute) in for #2 in the flex position, but #2 can not reenter twice. Note, DP #1 still has not had any change in there status as they have never left the game.

Now the other thing is offense, that is the DP's main job. So if the Flex bats they have to bat for the DP and if they do then the DP has left the game. Also if you use a pinch runner for the DP then she has left the game (as with any player) and they can reenter once, the second time you do this (either let the Flex bat or have a pinch runner) then #1 the original DP can not reenter a second time. As with the Flex above #4 (a legal substutite) can enter enter in the DP position but #1 can not reenter a second time.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
PONY rules are the same as ASA and FEDERATION. They are worded a little differently, but enforcement is exactly the same. To get a really good Power Point explanation of the DP/FLEX, go to

http://www.saumpires.com

There are several good ones on the web, but this one is very simple and very easy to follow.
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
mg43,

As others have stated, the DP and FLEX are not interchangable players as many people believe. Too often coaches have two players that they want to interchange on defense, so they make one the DP and the other the FLEX. This is absolutely the WRONG thing to do.

The key here is that the DP can substitute freely on defense for any player other than the FLEX.

The best way to accomplish what you are trying to do is to have your worst hitter be your FLEX player and put your two F3s into the batting order; one as F3 and rhe orher as DP with say F9 as the FLEX. That way you can swap your F3s at will without affecting the lineup. If you want to give the FLEX a chance to bat, you can let her bat once, then re-enter the DP with no penalty.

SamC
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 09:56pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

DP/Flex

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
So #1 is DP #2 is Flex, 1st inning 2 misses 2 balls at 1st so you replace her with 1. 2 now has left the game as her only thing she did was play defense and now she is not doing that. DP has not done anything but taken over defense for flex. 2nd inning you left #2 try again, this has burnt her one reentry, if you replace her with the DP again then #2 is done for the game. Now you can bring #3 (a legal substitute) in for #2 in the flex position, but #2 can not reenter twice. Note, DP #1 still has not had any change in there status as they have never left the game.
If the DP plays defense for the FLEX, why does the FLEX have to burn a reentry if they come back on defense?

I can think of a scenario where that may be true, but in this scenario, I feel like I'm missing something.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Jul 07, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Re: DP/Flex

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
If the DP plays defense for the FLEX, why does the FLEX have to burn a reentry if they come back on defense?
For the simple reason that when the FLEX is not playing defense, the FLEX has left the game. (The lineup goes from 10 to 9). Since the FLEX has left the game, coming back into the game is a reentry.

Same thing on the other end if the FLEX bats for the DP. Since the DP is no longer playing offense, the DP has left the game. (The lineup goes from 10 to 9.) So, the DP returning to the game in this situation is a reentry.
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 10:24am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Lightbulb Enlightened

For the simple reason that when the FLEX is not playing defense, the FLEX has left the game. (The lineup goes from 10 to 9). Since the FLEX has left the game, coming back into the game is a reentry

I knew about the offensive part you pointed out, but not the defensive part. Thanks for educating at least one more person about the DP/FLEX intracacies.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Jul 08, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
... snip ... The best way to accomplish what you are trying to do is to have your worst hitter be your FLEX player and put your two F3s into the batting order; one as F3 and rhe orher as DP with say F9 as the FLEX. That way you can swap your F3s at will without affecting the lineup. If you want to give the FLEX a chance to bat, you can let her bat once, then re-enter the DP with no penalty.

SamC [/B]
Good explanation. I used to see ASA coaches do this with catchers on hot days, but not recently.