The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

In the Act of Fielding the Ball

Question for ASA rules.

I know that NFHS has the "step and reach" guideline for when a fielder is fielding a batted ball, but muffs it. If the ball gets away, but the fielder is still within a step and reach of the ball, the fielder is still considered to be making the initial play on the ball.

Is there a similar guideline for ASA? I know that they don't mention the phrase "step and reach" in their rule book. Is there an interpretation, guideline, rule or rule of thumb that covers this?

If a fielder bobbles his first try at fielding the ball, just how much longer/further can he still be considered as "still in the act" of fielding the ball?

Just for the sake of the discussion...I'm picturing a batted ball that hits the fielder or his glove and then is loose on the ground.

Last edited by BretMan; Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 10:56am.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Question for ASA rules.

I know that NFHS has the "step and reach" guideline for when a fielder is fielding a batted ball, but muffs it. If the ball gets away, but the fielder is still within a step and reach of the ball, the fielder is still considered to be making the initial play on the ball.

Is there a similar guideline for ASA? I know that they don't mention the phrase "step and reach" in their rule book. Is there an interpretation, guideline, rule or rule of thumb that covers this?

If a fielder bobbles his first try at fielding the ball, just how much longer/further can he still be considered as "still in the act" of fielding the ball?

Just for the sake of the discussion...I'm picturing a batted ball that hits the fielder or his glove and then is loose on the ground.
(answering your question with another question)
did the fielder still have an opportunity to make an out? (and has the ball past the infielder)
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

I see where you're coming from (at least, on the first part, not so sure about the second part).

But "having the opportunity to make an out" isn't one of the requirements for interference when a fielder is fielding a batted ball. His protection is absolute, whether the opportunity for an out is there or not...isn't it?

Unless you're saying that after the bobble the fielder is no longer "in the act of fielding the ball", so a different standard applies (an opportunity for an out).

On the second part- the ball could be "past" the fielder and yet still be within his reach.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
(answering your question with another question)
did the fielder still have an opportunity to make an out? (and has the ball past the infielder)
Speaking ASA, neither are relevant.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
(Snip) (and has the ball past the infielder)
passed
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
passed
your correction is present
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not aware of any official interpretation in writing anywhere, but all my training generally included the "step and a reach" concept in judging interference after an initial bobble of the ball.

NFHS just codified it.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

In my judgement she/he was still in the act of fielding a batted ball. Thats all you need!!

I agree with Andy the step and reach is a general guideline but NEVER say that to a coach in an ASA game, they will attempt to say you misapplied the rule using NFHS rules in the ASA game. Simply say my first sentence if ever asked by a coach!!
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
In my judgement she/he was still in the act of fielding a batted ball. Thats all you need!!

I agree with Andy the step and reach is a general guideline but NEVER say that to a coach in an ASA game, they will attempt to say you misapplied the rule using NFHS rules in the ASA game. Simply say my first sentence if ever asked by a coach!!
(And never mention anything about the ball passing the fielder (even if it does) wrt interfering with a fielder. The ball passing the fielder ONLY applies to a runner hitting THE BALL.)

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
(And never mention anything about the ball passing the fielder (even if it does) wrt interfering with a fielder. The ball passing the fielder ONLY applies to a runner hitting THE BALL .)

So a ball passing a fielder doesn't apply to a BALL hitting a Runner?

(Go ahead shoot me now)
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
So a ball passing a fielder doesn't apply to a BALL hitting a Runner?

(Go ahead shoot me now)
>>>--------------------->

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
(And never mention anything about the ball passing the fielder (even if it does) wrt interfering with a fielder. The ball passing the fielder ONLY applies to a runner hitting THE BALL.)
If the ball has passed the fielder before the collision I will mention it to a coach, I did this weekend, when I told the defensive coach that I had obstruction.

"Coach, the ball was passed your fielder, that's why I had obstruction and not interference."
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

A few years ago, ASA removed the word "another" and added "any" defensive player in 8.7.J.4 (deflected ball).

Though the "intent" is still noted in this rule, I think the change in wording gives the umpire a little latitude in determining INT or not without being locked into a predetermined parameters.